ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To V6 or not to V6...That is the question

mmm probably having a mad moment but should I chop my 03 172 in for a Mk1 V6???

Ive seen a couple of low milage UK 02 plate cars for 17K ish

Your honest opinions thank you please.

Cheers Potster

Lee

BMW M2C

I have to admit to having similar thoughts myself, but couldnt do it having seen how much better the Mk2 V6 looks. Id always want one of those instead.

Clio v6

If you really want one go for it. You would get £11k for yours ? so you would only need to find £6k.

From what Ive heard Im of the opinion that there would be not much point going from a mk2 172 to a mk1 v6.

The engine in the mk1 v6 is not as powerful as the mk2 v6, and this coupled with the "interesting" handling of the mk1 v6 in the wet, damp, slightly damp... it would probably be slower point to point than a mk2 172.

However, as something that bit special... why the hell not! :) But Id agree with Lee, Im saving to put my deposit on the MK2 v6 after christmas! Well, got to treat myself as well...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 11 December 2003

Could be a classic and worth a lot of money eventually though ?
Er maybe i mean look at turbo ones and twos. trouble is v6s arent as rare.

Are you pleased with yours dash?

Not that I expect the MPG to be great but what are you getting on average?

As for waiting to January, it will take me at least that long to persuade the other half :oops:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

For me it wouldnt be about the power, its about the looks, the uniqueness of it.

besides you can always tune a 3.0l v6 to put out better power.

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by Potster on 11 December 2003

How many miles on it Jon?

not many, it was a 52 plate. dunno exact mileage. Was a trade in.

Had a quick look round it had blacked out windows, was nice but want to keep the Cup for a bit.

Gotta agree with you there KDF, especially as I dont drive the 172 anywhere near to its true potential.

+ the sound of a V6....dribble

Clio v6

Are you pleased with yours dash?

Not that I expect the MPG to be great but what are you getting on average?

As for waiting to January, it will take me at least that long to persuade the other half :oops:

Well Im kinda way trying to sell mine as its a bit awkward where Im living at present, but everytime I go out in it I change my mind and cancel the advert.

MPG from about 26 - 11 :oops:

Ive thought about getting a new mk2 V6 for the looks and exclusivity, but with the price dropping on the mk1 and the great reviews the mk2 is getting I soon think its not going to be that exclusive anymore :(

Clio v6

As the Mk1 is supposed to be so hard to handle. I am waiting for all the rest to be written off. Mine will be worth an absolute fortune.:D

I will buy an M6 ( the motorway ) $$$$$$$$

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

mmm probably having a mad moment but should I chop my 03 172 in for a Mk1 V6???

Ive seen a couple of low milage UK 02 plate cars for 17K ish

Your honest opinions thank you please.
Honestly... NO!

Ive driven the mk1 V6, I am currently driving a mk2 V6 (my Cup is in being sorted), also driven the mk1 172 (with track experience), the mk2 172 and the Cup, which I own, so I have got experience with all the recent sporty Clios and IMO the V6 is not leagues ahead of its smaller engined brothers!

Even the quicker mk2 V6 does not "feel" as quick as the Cup or 172, so you may be dissapointed when you actually drive one...

Rich, your from Burnley area arent you!? Which dealer has the Mk2?

They have a Mk1 in at Kellbrock cars which I may look at if your familiar with them?

I think the next step is to drive one then decide if it would be worth it.

Over 25K miles have averaged 30.36 MPG.

Most of my trips are well over 100 miles each time.

When I do short trips say less thean 10 miles MPG goes well down.

MPG:

Best ever 32.4, this was on a motorway journey, at speeds of around 60-80mph.

Worst ever 8.9, this was after the last track day I did at Curborough.

It, as always, depends on how heavy you right foot is!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Rich, your from Burnley area arent you!? Which dealer has the Mk2?

They have a Mk1 in at Kellbrock cars which I may look at if your familiar with them?

I think the next step is to drive one then decide if it would be worth it.
Yeah mate, this mk2 V6 is owned by my mate Dave that works at Kitchens.

That mk1 in Kelbrooks is actually the one Dave had from new, but its been well and truly used (& abused) so by all means have a drive in it, but dont buy it...

If you really do decide you want a mk1 V6 then I can speak to Dave about one?!

I gotta agree with Dash, have been thinking about goin back to a Subaru / Evo but every time I go out in the V6 I love it to bits again...

It definately isnt the best car Ive ever driven and is hugely impractical for every day use (like mine is) but it is certainly the nicest to be in, if you know what I mean - it is really appreciated by everyone, the attention it gets is absolutely unbelievable. Dont think theyre ever gonna become common enough not to turn heads.

Youd be mad to buy one but I just decided it was something I had to do before kids n stuff came along!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by mikey v6 on 11 December 2003

It definately isnt the best car Ive ever driven and is hugely impractical for every day use (like mine is) but it is certainly the nicest to be in, if you know what I mean - it is really appreciated by everyone, the attention it gets is absolutely unbelievable. Dont think theyre ever gonna become common enough not to turn heads.
Know exactly where youre coming from there mate...

Ive never know a car attract so much attention!

Thanks for all the help guys! Its much appreciated.

Im gonna try to get a test drive in one this weekend, Ill report back soon.

Cheers Potster

Potster

I also own a mk 1 v6, if you want anymore advice just ask....as for mpg i average about 24 - thats normal everyday driving, as for an evo/subaru yeah these are decent but the running costs put me off - servicng every 6 months? no thanks! 4 new tyres every 6 months? no thanks! also a bit one dimensional - wheres the noise? the looks? prescence? rarity? having said that, ill probably get one next!

As a car the v6 has been my dream car since i saw the concept in 98, it actually lives up to it i think, i love it. it feels must faster than my previous mk1 172 and ctr, it isnt in terms of figures.....but feels it, and its much more exciting to drive. The handling is probably my favourite aspect surprisingly, in the dry its fantastic to weave and flow through corners, and in the wet (not that i go out much in the wet) find an quiet junction and nothing beats getting the backend to slide around (but its easy to catch cos you can feel what its doing - a point echoed in the orginal road tests of the mark1).

Ive said before,i have owned everything on 4 wheels from XR2s to porsches.

The mk1 V6 i play in at the weekends is the best possible car i have ever bought.

The sound of it is awesome,the looks are amazing and the attention form other people you get whilst driving is mad.

All this they arent rare business is crap too,ive only ever seen 1 on the road before and that was the one i was driving.

Go for it mate

Seany

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Great cars, nobody is denying that...

Ive driven the mk1 & the mk2 on several occasions and yes the mk2 is a better car, but they both look & sound amazing, you get a LOT of attention from other people, and for this reason you do feel special driving one, which is why most people buy them.

But as far as out & out performance goes, its not worth the money IMO and the Nissan 350z my mate just bought cost the same as a new V6, looks superb, sounds great, also gets a lot of attention and IS as fast as it should be!

The main problem is that the V6 weighs too damn much...

Rated third in EVO magazines "car of the year test", cant be bad!:D

I know this is only journos opinion but even so it was pipped to the post by some very stiff competion.

Cant wait for my new Mk2 now, love the Mk1 but its time to move on and waste some more money in most peoples eyes!:p

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by steveV6 on 13 December 2003

Rated third in EVO magazines "car of the year test", cant be bad!:D

I know this is only journos opinion but even so it was pipped to the post by some very stiff competion.

Cant wait for my new Mk2 now, love the Mk1 but its time to move on and waste some more money in most peoples eyes!:p
You dont have to justify yourself to anyone mate... if you want a car then sod what anyone else thinks as its your choice.

Enjoy :D

Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it etc etc

Just dont be surprised to find people standing round it whenever you get back to it (taking pics with their phones etc) and it adds 10 minutes onto every trip to the garage (people ALWAYS talk to me about it when Im filling up...). Snice - do it now & bo**ocks to the comparisons / practicality / cost etc - you will love it and now youve started to seriously think about buying it youll regret it if you dont every time you see one...;)