ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Renault 5 gt turbo
Thats what its all about.

All part of racing, defending, putting your car in the way, making it hard for people to pass. Look at our race 1 video, I was holding everyone up and was well chuffed. It has taken me a while to learn this, was always willing to move over and let people pass.

I take your point though Sonny, looked a bit erratic a couple of times. Its his first season, so well give him the benefit of doubt...

182cup & 172 racecar
I'd would have let him know I was there, if I was that desperate to pass.
Looks like there was plenty of chances to show an intent to pass.

clio cup
No of course not, but deliberate blocking and swerving on a straight is just a but not on... Do you remember the brief we had at Castle Combe stating that drivers was only allowed to block once to defend a position per race, why was that enforced, also (general question) does that apply for all circuit?

You can block once, but you can move back over to the racing line after a block, technically its 2 blocks but is deemed a warranted exuse, lol

Standard engines are the way forward.

Just hope I am still saying that this time next year!

Don't get me wrong you did very well, though some key players were missing. With Tony, Ian, James and Russ in the pack you won't be saying this all the time. Why I was extra gutted at my spin.

You may have a std engine but using 5th as much as you did is your box std?

I'd would have let him know I was there, if I was that desperate to pass.
Looks like there was plenty of chances to show an intent to pass.

Agree, though at the risk of damage with this driver was quite high in my view, why I left it to after the corners and on the straights. Only really takes a couple of corners to work out the differences between cars\drivers and where it's safer to pass.

Though some of the "elders" should maybe approach and guide someone as new as him to the right path?

No of course not, but deliberate blocking and swerving on a straight is just a but not on... Do you remember the brief we had at Castle Combe stating that drivers was only allowed to block once to defend a position per race, why was that enforced, also (general question) does that apply for all circuit?

Don't get to hung up on it Sonny, everyone is different and we all had a good time. Different story if he'd caused a collision or something but we are the experienced drivers so can avoid all that (most of the time). He does need a bit a of coaching so maybe this is the prompt for him to get it?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Standard engines are the way forward.

Just hope I am still saying that this time next year!

Its not a standard engine you need, just a one that's been put together properly! No high comp fanciness in mine and it probably wants the stem seals going but it goes ok.

Don't get me wrong you did very well, though some key players were missing. With Tony, Ian, James and Russ in the pack you won't be saying this all the time.
Hopefully we'll all be out together at oulton if tony gets his car back, or maybe that's wishful thinking!
russ

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is utterly no reason at all for a forged high comp engine to not last just fine if its bolted together correctly.

The parts are STRONGER than the standard ones!

Its not a standard engine you need, just a one that's been put together properly! No high comp fanciness in mine and it probably wants the stem seals going but it goes ok.

Hopefully we'll all be out together at oulton if tony gets his car back, or maybe that's wishful thinking!
russ

Agree, HC not required, but either HC or TB's are required to be competitive in any way for the front runners.

Dare I say it - wishful thinking for the rest of this year at least.

There is utterly no reason at all for a forged high comp engine to not last just fine if its bolted together correctly.

The parts are STRONGER than the standard ones!

What I've been trying to put across for a while now.

Don't get me wrong you did very well, though some key players were missing. With Tony, Ian, James and Russ in the pack you won't be saying this all the time. Why I was extra gutted at my spin.

You may have a std engine but using 5th as much as you did is your box std?

I think that is a compliment, so cheers Pete.

Standard engine is the way forward for me as I don't want to start spending silly money on the engine, and just enjoy the racing right now. Might think differently next year, who knows.

I know there were some fast clio's that weren't there, but there was also some that were there. So I just want to enjoy my moment while I can, I'm sure the outcome will probably be different next race.

My box has a shorter 5th gear yes, and it does make the most of the engine. It's a really good mod in my opinion.

I thought you drove well and were considerate of other drivers, particularly the blue 106. It was a shame you span mate, but to be honest it looked like I was pulling away slightly anyway, and the lap times show that. My fastest lap time was nearly half a second quicker than yours in race 1, and over a second quicker in race 2.

On a another day it might have been different. But I have gotten a lot of compliments off people who are more experienced than me, and I am going to enjoy my moment while I can :D

See you there Pete :)

You going to do the engine yourself Pete?

I really want too James, with allowing plenty of time over winter say but lack of a permanent garage at home is all that's holding me back. At the moment I can only do work out side that can be completed in a weekend or 1 or 2 days at the most. So an engine rebuild is not possible, engine out\gear box etc no problem. It's not feasible in the barn as that's open fronted and no power.

Keep toying with moving the stables from the house to near the barn and building a garage in place of the stables - but that's work and an expense to far...at the moment! Once the mortgage is paid of no problem, that's 4 years away at least though.

I have recently bought a 6m x 3m shelter and use that both for working on the cars and in the garden, really easy to put up built to last. Looking at seeing how to get it on the trailer so can bring to track\race days - won't fit in the Passat!!

Setting up for Scarlett's 7th Birthday back in July.

racemarquee_zps982cf386.jpg

anyway I digress....Cup will be going to...still waiting on final prices before I decide and post on CS.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Spare bedroom is a perfectly acceptable place for building an engine IMHO.

Although I had a (no ex) mrs who disagreed that the ideal room in the house for me to be tuning the carb on my race bike was the front living room, strange girl!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
What spec are you going for engine wise ? If it's just a simple high comp on standard rods then it shouldn't take more than 2 days if you have the parts ready.

172 Race Car

Although I had a (no ex) mrs who disagreed that the ideal room in the house for me to be tuning the carb on my race bike was the front living room, strange girl!
I built a 1700 xflow in my mums bathroom

I just about got away with using the conservatory as a spray booth - the over spay dust on the uncovered parts - floor windows was a mare, so won't be doing that again. Didn't realise how much paint gets wasted when spraying.

What spec are you going for engine wise ? If it's just a simple high comp on standard rods then it shouldn't take more than 2 days if you have the parts ready.

All the bits are in the engine - just needs pulling apart, clearances re checked, bores looked at (poss new block if required), rings head checked out. After 3 plugs detonated earlier this year, first trip out after sorting it, it used up to a ltr of oil in each 15 min race. Sort of an end of season refresh brought forward.

I built a 1700 xflow in my mums bathroom

Up stairs or Bungalow?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I just about got away with using the conservatory as a spray booth - the over spay dust on the uncovered parts - floor windows was a mare, so won't be doing that again. Didn't realise how much paint gets wasted when spraying.

All the bits are in the engine - just needs pulling apart, clearances re checked, bores looked at (poss new block if required), rings head checked out. After 3 plugs detonated earlier this year, first trip out after sorting it, it used up to a ltr of oil in each 15 min race. Sort of an end of season refresh brought forward.

Up stairs or Bungalow?

Takes 20 mins to just yank the sump and head off and have the rods/pistons out so at least you know what you are looking at?

With the continued plug killing and then monstrously high oil consumption im personally going to be surprised if the pistons arent damaged.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wow! When you give a run down like that, im pretty shocked, seeing as this was a newly built engine. Be interesting to see what you find.

I know that its a "race engine" and hence you wouldnt expect the normal warranty, but to me it sounds like it needs to go back to where it was made and be sorted if its *that* bad.

Trouble is, knowing where it was done, personally Im not confident they actually have the ability to fix it properly :(

Horrible situation to be in when you spent the money to try and make it a reliable basis to build on later on, to end up with something that is the opposite. :(

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
When it did the plugs and went back the first time did the bores and rings get the all clear after inspection or did the head even come off ?

Takes 20 mins to just yank the sump and head off and have the rods/pistons out so at least you know what you are looking at?

With the continued plug killing and then monstrously high oil consumption im personally going to be surprised if the pistons arent damaged.

Yes, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a part stripped engine and a bag of bits when I get it to where it's going. I could put it all back together I suppose.

Wow! When you give a run down like that, im pretty shocked, seeing as this was a newly built engine. Be interesting to see what you find.

Hoping for the block only and rings to be damaged, at the most Sonny.

I know that its a "race engine" and hence you wouldnt expect the normal warranty, but to me it sounds like it needs to go back to where it was made and be sorted if its *that* bad.

Trouble is, knowing where it was done, personally Im not confident they actually have the ability to fix it properly :(

Horrible situation to be in when you spent the money to try and make it a reliable basis to build on later on, to end up with something that is the opposite. :(

Well, It won't be going back to Dan, after 18 mths and an initial 3.5K spend I'm having to say enough is enough. Not an Ideal situation to be in - been in worse. Nothing like laying down an anchor in a small Greek harbour with 25 knot's of wind blowing you into the shallows, other boats and then the anchor windlass fails leaving the anchor and 5 - 10 mtrs of chain hanging out the front of the boat dragging on the bottom. Along with other yachts waiting to moor sheltering from the coming storm...now that does get your attention. All came right in the end!

When it did the plugs and went back the first time did the bores and rings get the all clear after inspection or did the head even come off ?

I do hope it did Neil - I was told it all came apart.

Anyway, not wanting this to become a Dan bashing moment\thread - keep it civil and the like.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fair play for wanting to keep it on topic when it would be easy to rant and rave about it, ultimately like you say even a few grand wasted isnt actually the end of the world, annoying but relatively easily sorted compared to some things that happen in life, if sure if you couldnt afford it to go wrong you wouldnt do it :)

I hope you find a decent resolution soon so you can enjoy the car again, but if not at least you seem to have plenty of other things going on in your life to occupy you till then :)

LOL..just gone to update my thread and seen Chips banned again...been more times now than I've had hot dinners.

Anyway a picture speaks a thousand words.

ScreenHunter_02Sep051347_zpse7600c8f.gif

Instead of racing at Cadwell on the weekend I took the cup to Fred's. 8 miles from reaching found myself parked up on the M6 just before Jct 3, accident about half mile in front closing the carriage way.

Bit of a mad rush the last two days - also the last of the wonderful summer no doubt. Time to get this years hay in, bit late normally in end of June to July.

A nice early 8am pic, time to get the stacks of 8 sorted.

WP_20140923_09_26_38_Pro_zps8ba1fb34.jpg

In 8's and 1st set on way to barn - 60 left on the floor.

WP_20140923_11_27_02_Pro_zps469611fe.jpg

Had a rather exciting week away in Warwick - works yearly DR exercise. The yearly gorge on expenses more like - just summited mine for the week, £410.

Looks like I may not have the Cup back in time to complete in the last race of the year on, 1st Nov - mine's waiting on another Clio being finished before being worked on and that one is still minus its engine.
Not too fussed really as I'd rather it not be rushed this time and some care chucked it's way.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Gutted to hear of another clio being completely ruined by the same cowboy as mine!

Glad to see its in good hands now though!