ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too wide? Rota content.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
100% not decided. Get it lowered and we'll know. (or photoshopped)

Wheres that Charlie guy? Hes good at shopping lows :p

I personally dont like rotas on clios, i think they are a bit out of place but thats my opinion.

Also, is it not illegal to have your wheels/tyres sticking out passed the arch?

Not for me, Jap wheels & tyre stretch don't work on a clio, unless it's going to be silly low.

It it will be going lower so hopefully I can make it work :)

Wheres that Charlie guy? Hes good at shopping lows :p

I personally dont like rotas on clios, i think they are a bit out of place but thats my opinion.

Also, is it not illegal to have your wheels/tyres sticking out passed the arch?

Haha :p yeah not everyone will like them and yeah I think it's the actual tread of the tire? I could be wrong though. plus this is the point of the thread really, I'm looking for ways of making the wheels not stick out as much.

So far the shorter axel stubs sound like the best way.

Its only illegal if the tread of the tyre protrudes from the vehicles arch, the side wall I.e being stretched or the rim of the wheel is fine

Its only illegal if the tread of the tyre protrudes from the vehicles arch, the side wall I.e being stretched or the rim of the wheel is fine

I've iust spent about 20 mins trying to find out the actual law on this. It seems to be quite a grey area though.

I've seen people saying

-no tyre tread sticking out
-no tyre at all
-nothing sticking past the arches

Then there's all the angles that people are saying -

It only counts when looking down from the top of the arches. Other people saying from the front/behind.

Can anyone shed any light on it? @Sunglasses_Ron

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I've got another question that needs to knowledge of a traffic officer as well. I'll find out this week and let you know.

Passat TDi
This is seems to be the most popular answer, I'm hoping it is this tbh!

Okay mate thank you :)

This is something I looked into loads but there seems to be no clarification on what the penalty is I've been driving round for months like this now and no body has said anything, infact 1 female officer pointed at the at some lights and gave me a thumbs up, just luck of the draw really

IMAG0718_1.jpg

I had a good 25mm+ sticking outside the arch even with maximum stretch

That looks cool mate! I probably wouldn't get away with it being a young driver with a chavved up Clio ;)

Saying that, the police don't seem to be too bad around here tbh.

When it comes to M.O.T its down to the testers discretion and same for police officers some could do you for it, others will just ignore it but annoying really haha

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Dan, just got a traffic officer to take a look at the pic of your wheels.

He has said that it is dangerous condition as other road users could come into contact with the unprotected wheel.

He said that even if you added camber the bottom of the wheel would still be unprotected.

:(

Dan, just got a traffic officer to take a look at the pic of your wheels.

He has said that it is dangerous condition as other road users could come into contact with the unprotected wheel.

He said that even if you added camber the bottom of the wheel would still be unprotected.

:(

Thanks for asking mate :) I'm going to get the 172 rear stub axles to bring the wheels in more as they're a bit shorter than my 182 ones. And probably still add some camber while I'm at it.

Maybe in the long run I'll get the arches rolled as well.

Like Ross said, I guess it's at the officers discretion really. I'll take some more photos once I've done the above and hopefully it won't be anywhere near as bad :p Thanks for your help Dave!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Pleasure mate. I'm sure if you bring them in a bit there won't be too many issues. It would be down to an officers discretion so as long as they don't take the piss I'm sure you'll be fine.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Get the stub axles changed and then get the geo measured on the back. Get shims to adjust it to -2 degrees.

If there is a lot of material on the hub face of the wheel you could turn them down on a lather to get rid of some of the offset too.

Pleasure mate. I'm sure if you bring them in a bit there won't be too many issues. It would be down to an officers discretion so as long as they don't take the piss I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'll do what I can mate! Hopefully if I ever get stopped they won't be in a bad mood!

Get the stub axles changed and then get the geo measured on the back. Get shims to adjust it to -2 degrees.

If there is a lot of material on the hub face of the wheel you could turn them down on a lather to get rid of some of the offset too.

Thanks for the info mate! What does the geo measuring do?

They look really good, a lot of effort has gone into that!

How did you get the center caps to fit? I'm struggling to fit mine as the spigot ring is in the way of where it clips in. Am I just being retarded? :p

E46 M3/ 172
No, still a tight push fit. I've done over 6000 miles with them on there and various track days and not lost one yet.

RS172 Flamer
Very nice wheels mate, maybe you could change the rear stub axles to 172 ones as they are 5mm shorter.

image.jpg

RS1 all 172 models
RS2 all 182 models

So would that work in reverse? I.e. 172 putting the 182 stub axles on

Clio 172 ph2
uploadfromtaptalk1395170619532.jpg test fitted mine today, got them finally to fit. alot of work with calipers as my wheels arnt lathed. also rolled rear arches. once camber shims are on rear and dropped lower will sit better

View attachment 109666 test fitted mine today, got them finally to fit. alot of work with calipers as my wheels arnt lathed. also rolled rear arches. once camber shims are on rear and dropped lower will sit better

Awesome! They look really good mate. Did you just roll the arches or have them flared as well? Also, do you have any photos from behind/on top to see how much they stick out?

What did you do to the callipers, just angle grind them down? And did you go for 1.5 degrees camber? And did you have to use 5mm spacers in the rear to clear the callipers a bit?

Sorry for all the questions but I really don't want to get rid of them lol! x

Clio 172 ph2
used the arch roller to roll arches and also flare them a tad. grind the calipers down. no spacers on front and 3mm on rear to clear brake pads as wheels rub on them otherwise lol. not yet going to buy some camber shims soon for rear. will pm ya on instagram mate.

Mine were grid-vs so et20 but just to show how mine sat before and after grinded calipers, 172 cup stub axles, 2degree and 5mm spacers.

It could potentially work if you took a it more off calipers and ran 3mm spacers or had the wheels machined.

I had no arch work done either which didn't help but I had no rubbing after using some strategically placed bump stops.

Before
ry9ere3a.jpg

After
epu5uhy5.jpg

Subaru, arctic 182FF
WOW what an awful lot of faffing and effort to fit a set of wheels.
why not just get wheels with the correct offset that will actually just fit.
Plenty of wheels look great on the clios ?????????
OR ..........................................AM I JUST TOO OLD (ww1)