ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towbar for cup 172

'91 Clio RT =D
what do you mean never passed?

there some sort of test that every car has to go through before its allowed to tow a bike or a trailer or summit?

and which cop is gonna stop you because your towing with a clio cup. I bet tehy dont even know that mate

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
what do you mean never passed?

there some sort of test that every car has to go through before its allowed to tow a bike or a trailer or summit?

and which cop is gonna stop you because your towing with a clio cup. I bet tehy dont even know that mate

Yep

It doesn't weigh enough to be allowed to tow anything IIRC

DVLA says noooooo

Track valver + Ibiza FR
I saw a 172 cup towing a caterham one time when I went to an experience day. Didn't know you couldn't tow with them :S

VX220
I used to tow my jetski with a micra. Im pretty sure the micra weighs less than the clio. Also had 3 people in the car and 4 wakeboard on the roof racks. Only did it about 4-5 times but i think the police would have to have plenty of spare time to pull you over and question you.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Same applies to Clio RS, they were never approved, but as they are the same shell as the lower spec they still have the mounting points.

I own a Ford Ka and want to tow my sailing dinghy but am told that I cannot have a towbar fitted as it would be illegal. Surely not? All cars sold here from the 1st August 1998 must be European Whole Vehicle Type Approved. The vehicle maker decides when he applies for approval if the car will be allowed to tow and the car has towbar mounting points built in to the chassis. The Ka does not have towbar mounting points so a towbar cannot be fitted. It would be illegal to fit one. There are a number of other cars that cannot have towbars fitted so if you intend to tow with a small car ask before buying.

clio 1.2 - 51 plate
i got a towage attached to my cup, it was already on there when i bought it but you can take it off or leave it on, its never been put on my car since i've had it, the guy who had it before me had it put on coz his son raced go-karts and he towed a trailer to the race track not far from me....

clio 1.2 - 51 plate
na, it'll be a good selling point when i decide to get rid, not many people know its illegal....

The cars not type approved its nothing to do with weight Renault didn't dem or have the car tested there are ways round it but idealy its a rubish tow car

Tow with one and insurance is invalid.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Someone has been cheeky :eek:
NewCar5.jpg

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The car manufacturer can approve towing or not for each model. Renault chose to allow towing on all the Clios, except the Sports models. And it made a towbar that fits them, all including the Sport. So you can buy a towbar, and you can get it fitted, but you can't legally tow with it. You could quite legally put a bike rack, but you can't tow with it.

Renault has chosen not to say why it didn't approve the Sports for towing. There may be a good technical reason, or it might just be they didn't think the sort of people who wanted a sporty model wanted to tow anything.

I have a towbar on my 172. I got it to tow light kart and box trailers. There are only two problems I've seen. The first is that first gear is fairly tall on Sports to limit wheelspin, and that can cause some difficulties in stop-start traffic uphill. You've got to torture the living daylights out of the clutch if you're stop-start-creeping forward slowly uphill. The second is that the anti-lock braking seems to get confused with a weight on the back. But its still better than I've experienced on light cars with no anti-lock and a trailer on the back.

It would tow a small trailer/ dinghy etc fine no problem I ve towed heavier stuff with smaller cars.
The weight issue is irrelevant, its just not type approved nothing to do with weight.
As Edde says your insurance would be invalid. Tbh though I would claim ignorance take it to a tow bar place and I bet they wouldn't even question it and would be quite happy to fit one.

Bump!

Damn,never knew you couldnt tow with your clio :S

I was thinking about getting a cheap jetski next year and my car currently has part of a tow bar fitted so thought i was almost set up ready to tow one :eek:

towbar.jpg

Tav

Clio 197
na, it'll be a good selling point when i decide to get rid, not many people know its illegal....

I would never buy a car with a tow bar...devalues it. Don't want to buy something that's prob. most of the way through it's clutch.