ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toxic fume warning light and no power (max 10mph) - Clio 2002 1.2 16v

That light is flashing, the handbook says just reduce engine speed until it goes off. The light flashes even when I start the car and don't move.

The car judders heavily, similar to the judder that you get when you're just about to stall, this happens constantly and there is no power, I don't think I could get past 10mph with my foot fully down in 1st or 2nd.

Checked the oil and no problem. The car had a good run the day before yesterday (London to Manchester), and a short 10min run yesterday and didn't notice any problems.

The car had a full service 12 months ago and a new cambelt kit about 5 months ago and the battery is less than 18 months old.

Edit: Tried the car again and it ran OK until the engine warmed up (about 5-10min) then it kicked in and started missing and running very rough and the light begins to flash again, but that time I was able to keep up a bit more speed than before.

Had breakdown out to it who said they can't do anything it's "engine management" and need to take to a garage and hook up to a diagnostics machine.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Cheers

Laguna sport tourer
if your lucky it will just be the coil pack, it comes with all the HT leads connected so cost about £50. if that doesn't work try:
1. taking the butterly valve off and the inlet manifold and cleaning them (there will be a puddle of oil)
2. remove the plugs from the ecu and try refitting them ensuring the connections are corrosion free(disconnect battery first)
3. make sure the daft cage thing isn't rattling around rubbing through wires on top of the ecu

all the best fixing this

Thanks, hope it's the coilpack, there are a couple of garages around here open tomorrow so hoping to at least find out what the problem is then.

You'll not guess what's going on with it now...

Meant to have had HT leads and spark plugs fitted today (10 min job) but nope, the garage is having trouble getting hold of the parts. They have given the supplier my reg no and the parts have arrived not compatible with the engine, the garage thinks the engine has been changed at some point!! So they are still in contact with renault/their supplier trying to figure out which HT leads it needs.:dapprove:

Shhh
Not good, though i pretty much dont trust renault mechanics.

I would find the engine number yourself, and have a look on here to find out what batch/type of engine it is.

Sounds like someone at renault factory made a mistake, and it is the correct engine in the car if it matches the V5 / VIN (slam panels) plate etc.

Fixed now. I don't know what the problem was exactly but here's the end of the story...

The mechanic said he would take the HT leads home and on his way to work the next morning, he would call at Renault and get them to ID the part exactly. I Phoned up that morning and guess what? That mechanic has washed his hands of the job and taken a days holiday. So basically lied to my face about what he'd do. I would have preferred him to just say he doesn't know what to do and take it elsewhere, but instead caused another delay of a day.

After 2 days, the garage basically gave up with it, told me to sell it as there is a very serious problem that they can't diagnose or fix. They had fitted the new HT leads and spark plugs, but they had cross threaded a plug or something because it was raised out of the engine and the cover would no longer fit (one with Renault logo) and the car still had the original problem - running rough, missing, toxic light.

I took this to my local trusted independant garage who said they have cross threaded something and said to take it back and let the original garage sort it. Took it back and was told the mechanic said "it's normal" to be like that but they will get the manager to look when he comes in for a second opinion. This morning went to the garage and problem is solved, plug is in properly, cover fits, car runs perfectly.

Lesson learned: In future I will be using the local indie regardless of the wait for bank hols etc. It's now booked in for a service at the idie so should be tiptop when I get it back.

Thanks for all the replies.