ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo 888 rubbers--daily drivers?

clio 172
Hiya guys.. It turns out that here in mexico the 888 toyos (race tyres) can be had for the same price as the tr1s or the proxes. Well, maybe 10 quid extra per tyre. Right now my car is sitting on px4s (pretty good because it's always dry here, pretty bad in the uk i guess) but they wear pretty fast. Anyway, I was thinking... how about using the 888s s everyday tyres? Dont mind changing them twice a year!

Where i live we dont have mot, plus cops cant tell a road legal tyre from one that isn't (unless they're slicks). so... what would you do????

Clio 172 RS2
¡Hola,

They should wear quickly being the road-legal race tyre they are.
Like 7.500 - 10.000 km or less if you do trackdays.

Perhaps if i had two sets of wheels i would get a set.

You should have no problem into getting enought heat into the tires in Mexico.

172 Cup
I wish I had the option to put them on my car but every time I get a hankering for them I remember I live in one of the wettest areas in Scotland! D'oh! No fair!!

Id suggest Yokohama Paradas for you. They wont wear as quick as R888s and there will not be much difference on grip. Assuming its steaming hot where you are.

SQ5
They should wear quickly being the road-legal race tyre they are.
Like 7.500 - 10.000 km or less if you do trackdays.

You obvisiouly do not drive hard enough :p I done a set in 2 months of road driving and then a day on track :p lol! About 3000 miles I reckon haha!

Id suggest Yokohama Paradas for you. They wont wear as quick as R888s and there will not be much difference on grip. Assuming its steaming hot where you are.

Youv'e tried both tyres?

I use Parada Spec 2's as my road tyres and R888's as my road/track tyres. The levels of grip are completely different leagues. I get so much tyre squeal from the Yoko's and the R888's just grip and are silent!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
They'll wear a lot quicker, but as long as that's not an issue go for it! In your climate getting temp into them won't be an issue and they are very grippy.

B

Ben^

R888 are awsome rubber but you will get around 3 to 4000 miles out of them with daily driving and maybe 1 or 2 track days after that they will prob look like slicks! lol ohh and if running 888's make sure the tracking on your car is spot on too ;)

You obvisiouly do not drive hard enough :p I done a set in 2 months of road driving and then a day on track :p lol! About 3000 miles I reckon haha!

Youv'e tried both tyres?

I use Parada Spec 2's as my road tyres and R888's as my road/track tyres. The levels of grip are completely different leagues. I get so much tyre squeal from the Yoko's and the R888's just grip and are silent!
Ive only ever used Paradas but Ive got a couple of customers that have used R888s on Subi + jap shite who say they Yokos wear better but with not much grip between the two. I know how many miles they do because of the mileage from when Ive changed them haha

SQ5
They wear more yes, but not too different as long as the R888's are warmed up nicely other wise they'll just shread!

The grip is a lot different in a FWD, RWD may be a different story!

if you're going to lean on them, there'll be a lot of difference between the 888s and Paradas

maintaining some sort of temp in the 888s might not be as big a problem as it would be over here, but - as said - the wear rate will be awful compared with a road tyre. other considerations for road use might be the sidewalls, which will stiffen the ride, and the noise - they rumble a lot

Last edited:
  SQ5
Yoko parada's bring up a lot more road noise in general use but some road surfaces or white lines the R888's whir. Sidewalls on the yokos are terribly softer compared to the Toyo's

Clio 172 RS2
Like the guy said... he wouldn't mind renewal twice a year. LOL

Still as a every day tire a bit useless, overkill innit?

Aah well i reckon' he will put them on anyway!

clio 172
R888 are awsome rubber but you will get around 3 to 4000 miles out of them with daily driving and maybe 1 or 2 track days after that they will prob look like slicks! lol ohh and if running 888's make sure the tracking on your car is spot on too ;)

Is good tracking something that can be done at the dealer's? cause my rear camber is messed up, getting wear on the inside...

clio 172
Yoko parada's bring up a lot more road noise in general use but some road surfaces or white lines the R888's whir. Sidewalls on the yokos are terribly softer compared to the Toyo's

Dont mind the noise since the engine is pretty noisey as it is. I like the idea of a hard sidewall tho!

stick some on, if only for the experience. the expense/wear are the biggest turn-offs imo - but if they're no more expensive than road tyres where you are, you've nothing to lose there - just looking at replacing them again much, much quicker than you would with a road tyre.

as far as using them goes, the biggest practicality on the road is in keeping them hot; they're much less progressive than road tyres, particularly when 'cold' - can be quite twitchy. they'll be fine in 'normal' driving, but if you're caught unawares or want to have a bit of fun on them, you need to be mindful of the temps - prob. not a big problem where you are though

Last edited: