ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo - T1-S vs T1-R - Discuss...

As above really - budget is tight :dapprove: and F1s are almost £80 a corner...

Yoz has offered me a good price on F1s in 195/50/15 but I really want to stay original size (185/55/15) as I find that it tramlines more when my current F1s get the tread worn down and they put slightly more rubber on the road.

I've had the Toyo T1-S before and they were, er, s**t to be honest. :rolleyes:

Didn't bite on turn in, didn't grip in the wet, had to drive round their downsides rather than just driving....

Are the T1-R any better? Sharper turn in? Don't roll onto the sidewalls? Better in the wet?

Comments from anyone who's had both are very much welcome.

Thank yooooooou :)

a burnt one
My experience of the T1-r is that they too are crap, i have them on just now as i was told on here they are good.

I had Yokohama S306 before them and although a budget Yoko tyre they gripped better in all conditions even after doing 20k miles than the Toyo tyres do when new.

I find the Toyo appaling in the wet, now im not saying other people lied when they said they were good, obviously different car set-ups work different, in the dry the grip is reasonable, you certainly wont be finding a ditch at speed but i feel that when cornering that point of feeling it wanting to kick out comes at a slower speed than the previous tyre.

I've got a few big roundabouts round here than i like to zoom round when it's quiet on my way to work but dont feel comfortable in the T1-R

So to summise, for the price and most driving conditions it is a fair tyre considering what you pay for but in the wet its shocking, i got mine in January and i think i can count on one hand the number of dry days we've had in scotland.

Maybe next time i'l base my choice purely on wet handling.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm a fan of the R's as well. The only real change to the S is an added groove around the edge of tyre wall.

hmmm

A mixed review - as always! lol

Thanks for all the replies :)

Dan - I don't think 205s would fit - willytracked = not much room between tyre and front arch... lol

I think I may have to just shell out for the F1s then - I know they're good so should stick with what I know I guess. They usually last me a decently long time anyway so I can't really complain.

I can use the T1-S I've got in the garage for trackdays - crap turn in won't help my cause much, but will mean I'm not wrecking F1s lol

I have also considered the PE2s as they are now cheaper than the F1s (!) but seeing as summer is the new winter LoL I might as well go for the best wet tyre!

80MPG BEEZA
i have the r's and their way better then the nankang's i had on my previous wheels lol, why not just go get some r888's :)

182 FF & 306 Rallye
I've had T1-Rs on my 306. They were awesome for standing water but thats about it. Not confidence inspiring and once they started wearing a little, deteriorated rapidly.

Eagles are great, but there are other good tryes too.

Never skimp on tyres though. Buy the absolute best you can afford.

Clio Sport 182
T1-rs are soft as toffee. I had a set pumped upto 36psi and still went over half way down on the side wall. They was shocking but they do grip alright. Good for a cheap tyre

Cup'd Monaco 172
I like the T1-S,s but going back to F1's when I get the chance.

Spend the extra, the F1's are slighter better every where then the Toyo's but last longer, so its cheaper in the long run.

106 GTi
Used to run the S on my 309 and 205 GTis, Fine in the dry or in proper standing water, crap on wet or damp roads. Drive a friends 172 which is running the R's - fine in the dry, not impressed in the rain or damp with them, seem as bad as the S. Would go for the F1's TBH.

I think the exaltos last longer , but i still prefer the f1s.

But i think its just down to personal preference when you get to a certain level of tyre.

Budget ones - the majority agree they are s**t.

Middle of the range - Some are good, some are s**t

Upper end - Most are good, just personal preference really.

Lionel Richie
T1R's on YOZ's "1.2" but if its anything but dry it'll spin the wheels

in the dry they're one of the best road tyres i've used