ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Brake Pads (again, sorry!)

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Hello all,

Currently have some front Carbone Lorraine RC5s on. Their performance is perfect - zero fade (4" ducts), as much power as I needed every single stop hot and cold. Not bothered about dust and noise... However, the backing has parted company from the braking material :nono:

Found this thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?598964-Track-pads&highlight=track+brake+pads

Seems that my choices will be RC5+, Yellowstuff or Carbotech XP8s. How much do the Carbotechs run to? Kam and K-Tec seem to have the RC5+ for ~£120, if the Carbotechs are miles more dosh then I'll get some RC5+ since it seems they are much better at staying on the backings than RC5s?

Yellowstuff - not convinced by EBCs pads in general, and have read they feel a bit 'wooden'? The pads are for a 172 Cup (Brembo HC front discs) so a bit of feel will be nice without ABS...
Cheers in advance,
Adam

172 Cup
Maybe Pagids blues? They are a great pad, my brother had them on his trophy and that had done a few track days, the 'ring also on them, although they are a tad pricey.

Last edited:
Depends on your braking style if you'll like EBC pads - I like to hammer mine and know that they'll respond the same way everytime, so Greens/Yellows are perfect for me. If you want all this mid-pedal bite "confidence" nonsense then go with CL/RS2500 for four times the price.

Clio 182, 911
I fitted ds2500s and love them, can anyone explain why M1166s or Pagids would be better as I have no experience of other quality pads?

GSXR + KDX220
I've got yellowstuffs on mine and they're pretty good IMO, the take some serious abuse to get them to start to show signs of fading!
They dont seem to be wearing down fast either, Ive had them on the car for about 4k miles and have done a track day and an evening track day on them, still LOADS of pad left!

I've not tried any other "track pads" so cant compare to others ;)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Better is a very subjective term. Brakes are also a very personal thing, there is no one size fits all solution. Personally I found DS2500 to work well but lack feel. I'll be running M1155 in my car which will be mostly for the road but will see a track occasionally

Better is a very subjective term. Brakes are also a very personal thing, there is no one size fits all solution. Personally I found DS2500 to work well but lack feel. I'll be running M1155 in my car which will be mostly for the road but will see a track occasionally

I was just about to post that.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Cheers for the input gents - I prefer a pad that doesn't need a lot of pedal force to do it's thing, as I probably only use about 1/2 of my foot on the brake pedal.

Car + driver + passenger + fuel is around 1100kg so yeah, a fair bit of extra bulk over the Burpspeed car..!

I very much liked the way the RC5s felt, put about 500 track miles through them and only saw a couple of mm wear, zero fade. If the DS3000s give similar characteristics then I may give some of those a try, the local motor factors might be able to get some in and that would save a few quid... If not, then I might as well stick with what I know as long as they ain't gonna fall apart again!

Golf GTD Mk7
Xp8s are ~£200 delivered and you supply the backing plates. Supposed to be ace pads. Looking to get some for new year

172 Race Car
As Dan says PF97's are mental in a road car, mega stopping power and were superb in his 182. But we didnt get on with them in the race car. They are HUGE money tho and will ruin paint work and wheels if not washed off quick

Yellowstuff are very good but we have reached the limit of them now and get pad fade part way through the race. bare in mind that 40mins of flat out. They would make an excellet road/occasional track pad. Ive used Reds and Greens before. Greens are s**te, reds are ok if not going on track as they last about a lap

I didnt like DS2500's personally. Have driven on Carbon Lorraine before and they were very aggressive but didnt like the inital grab.

Brakes a very personal thing.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Jay, Jonny, Fred, thanks for chiming in!

£200 is a bit much for me for the Xp8s, and the PF97s don't sound cheap either, so I'll look into the DS3000s.

Cheers again!

220 Trophy
If you like the RC5+’s you’ll love the RC6’s – fantastic stopping power and feel on the standard calliper. OK on the road as well, but just need a little heat in them.

Lionel Richie
^a very experienced driver on here cooked them after 1/2 a track day, i've driven the blues and they don't even come within pissing distance of the Ferodos! But as said brakes are personal choice, i want to try the new Orangestuff, but i'm yet to try an EBC product that is any good!

We ran the blues on our supercar fleet for 2 years whilst the compound was in development, they took abuse pretty well, but our cars do no ore than 10min stints(1 customer) at a time, we'd easily do a set per car per day though (35 customers per car on average, which is about 280 track miles)

they all use Ferodo or PF now

£200 is a bit much for me for the Xp8s, and the PF97s don't sound cheap either, so I'll look into the DS3000s.

I got an absolute bargain on eBay a while back, a brand new set of PF97's for under £40

Then the guy messaged me to say i could have his other brand new set for the same price if i was interested !

PH1
a very experienced driver on here cooked them after 1/2 a track day, i've driven the blues and they don't even come within pissing distance of the Ferodos
I got 1 1/2 days out of my 3000, they were great once warmed up but 300miles @ £140ish I couldn't justify the expense for a track car.
I've done 3 days with the blues, they look around 50% and cost a hell of a lot less.
I think its worth a mention that the compound on the earlier blues did appear different than the current version, as they too lasted under 300 miles.

I got 1 1/2 days out of my 3000, they were great once warmed up but 300miles @ £140ish I couldn't justify the expense for a track car.
I've done 3 days with the blues, they look around 50% and cost a hell of a lot less.
I think its worth a mention that the compound on the earlier blues did appear different than the current version, as they too lasted under 300 miles.

Jesus! 300 miles out of the ds3000's is shocking! My CL RC6's lasted me 6 very hard trackdays which I was on track most of the day, as ive said already for price and performance you any get any better!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I've done a whole day at brands hatch, and two sessions at Combe, plus about 1.5k of fast road use, and I have lots of DS3000 brake pad left.

GB 182 FF
IMe I rate pfb97's and CL5+'s in nearly the same boat/regard :) only thing is 5+ dust is a damn site easier to leave for months and months and wash off than needing a wheel refurb when doing the same with 97's lol

both are phenomenal pads for the minimal money they cost (in the grand scheme of things)

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
All good info - cheers gents.

Have decided to give RC5+ a shot, I really liked the way the RC5s worked (and lasted well, and didn't eat discs), and after chatting with one of the guys at K-Tec they explained Carbone Lorraine have made some tweaks to how they attach the material after seeing a couple of pad failures (in the same way as mine).

I'll report back :)

All good info - cheers gents.

Have decided to give RC5+ a shot, I really liked the way the RC5s worked (and lasted well, and didn't eat discs), and after chatting with one of the guys at K-Tec they explained Carbone Lorraine have made some tweaks to how they attach the material after seeing a couple of pad failures (in the same way as mine).

I'll report back :)

Good choice of pad, id go through kam racing though as I think there cheaper!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Yeah Kam were a quid cheaper, but I popped in the Cliosport discount code on the K-Tec site... to be told I couldn't use it (seen the thread and agree it needs to be clearer!). For the sake of a quid I couldn't be arsed to cancel and re-make the order elsewhere.

Hopefully they will post out today (ordered them at 9am yesterday), if not K-Tec will definitely go into my 'a bit slow to send stuff out and charge way too much for delivery' list of companies and I'll be using Kam in future, hah.