ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Car/Day & Speakers?

Range Rover Sport
Maybe an odd question.

At the moment the car is still drove to and from the track however we are transforming the car into a 'track only' car in the future.

Currently the car hasn't got any rear or front door speakers, ONLY the dash tweeters.

Is this all that you guys have and simply put up with it, or do you refit the 13cm door speakers at a price of adding weight (2kg*)?

I was going to leave the door speakers in, however I found them rattling and really distorting at any sound high or low. (No doorcards)

Another idea which I'm fairly against, refit the 13cm door speakers with a little sound deadening mat behind?

*Every extra -kg helps.

Listerine & Poledo
If its going to be track only, do you intend to be blaring dubstep as you try to clip apexes?

If it's for non-competitive track days, there's even less reason to worry about 2kg of weight. It's not as if you can go measuring lap times.

Finally, you could probably save that 2kg weight penalty by taking a good dump before going to the track.

Yes, lighter = possibly faster, but for the amount you're talking about, it's smaller than a negligible amount.

For my money, if it's a semi-road car, put the fronts in and put a quickly-removable sub in the back (then you can remove it when you get to track)

If a "proper" track car, remove all sound system, and dashboard.

Renault Clio 172 cup
I bought a couple of cheapo ( 15 quidish ) speakers from Halfords (4 inch things with orange trim, look quite good ), and made up a couple of light weight panel covers where the rear speakers originally were, and mounted them in there. Dont even bother with the front ones now (inc the tweeters ) as the back ones do the job fine. I have basic manual doorcards in the front anyway and didnt fancy cutting holes in them.My car is well stripped also and I thought I'd lose the sound in the back but it sounds loud enough.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I left my door speakers in because I have got to drive it to the track, but if it was a track only (trailered car) I would remove everything stereo and all speakers it is not like you are going to listen to the radio while you are going round a track.

Range Rover Sport
If its going to be track only, do you intend to be blaring dubstep as you try to clip apexes?

If it's for non-competitive track days, there's even less reason to worry about 2kg of weight. It's not as if you can go measuring lap times.

Finally, you could probably save that 2kg weight penalty by taking a good dump before going to the track.

Yes, lighter = possibly faster, but for the amount you're talking about, it's smaller than a negligible amount.

For my money, if it's a semi-road car, put the fronts in and put a quickly-removable sub in the back (then you can remove it when you get to track)

If a "proper" track car, remove all sound system, and dashboard.

Not really into the whole sub thing, I did the whole 150dB thing many moons ago

Take all the speakers and the stereo out, not needed at all

This is my initial thought.

I bought a couple of cheapo ( 15 quidish ) speakers from Halfords (4 inch things with orange trim, look quite good ), and made up a couple of light weight panel covers where the rear speakers originally were, and mounted them in there. Dont even bother with the front ones now (inc the tweeters ) as the back ones do the job fine. I have basic manual doorcards in the front anyway and didnt fancy cutting holes in them.My car is well stripped also and I thought I'd lose the sound in the back but it sounds loud enough.

Not overly keen on adding any weight at all, the whole idea is to make the car as light as possible over the next year.

I left my door speakers in because I have got to drive it to the track, but if it was a track only (trailered car) I would remove everything stereo and all speakers it is not like you are going to listen to the radio while you are going round a track.

Yes, I know what you mean, do I just blank where the single din unit is at the moment, possibly mount the switches there for a fair few months before Perspex/similar windows go in?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
you could put some gauges in the space of the headunit, a couple of people on here have done that,
putting electric window switches there is a good idea if you get it sorted do a guide as I looked at moving them but thought it was going to be a lot of hassle.

Range Rover Sport
Yes, maybe an oil temp/pressure gauge would look pretty nice too.

Maybe I can look into a MOCAL oil filter set up and have a gauge mounted to monitor the situation?

Food for thought, thanks.

Buy a little amp from ebay, some wood, cigarette lighter plug and a set of speakers. Mount amp on box, speakers in box then plug it into the cigarette lighter socket and connect a ipod. Remove when you get to the track

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I just use my ipod on the drive to and from track, damn things so noisey anyway you cant hear crap at low volumes and high ones as you say it distorts to hell.

Range Rover Sport
I was under the impression earphones were illegal to have while driving?

However its been that long from when I passed I have no idea.

This would certainly be the best weight saving option that's for sure.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
No you can wear them providing you can still hear and are aware of your surroundings.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I always have my iPod plugged in on earphones when I have to drive any further than Donnington.

Must be hilarious seeing some ginger yoof in a Clio screaming "I'm every Woman" like it's an X-Factor audition.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its a car that you ever use on the road to go out for a meal with the mrs etc then leave a radio in, if its purely a track car then bin it and if you drive to and from just stick music on your phone with in the ear headphones.

Range Rover Sport
If its a car that you ever use on the road to go out for a meal with the mrs etc then leave a radio in, if its purely a track car then bin it and if you drive to and from just stick music on your phone with in the ear headphones.

Don't be silly, I wouldn't pull up outside a restaurant in a clio, joking aside yes I think I'm going to bin the entire stereo set up. I think i'll let my mate keep well away from the electrics with the last incident.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I did have mine in last year, but pulled them out. Can't really hear the music any way in a stripped out car.