ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track day 182 - what oil?

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
As part of the prep for my next trackday, I've decided to fit an oil cooler as on the last one when the car got hot it got a bit tappy.

I changed the oil to 5w50 (from 5w40) to combat it and it seemed to work but now I'm running it with the cooler I'm not sure I need to bother.

I was using Valvoline 5w50 as it's a decent price through work, but now the engine will need a couple of litres more because of the cooler, it gets pretty expensive and She'll 5w40 is a lot cheaper!

Anyone in a similar position or are all you track day guys still using 5w40?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I know the Fuchs silkolene pro S 5w-40 is quite happy in the 120's as that's where it was on the oil temp gauge all day when I tracked my 206 HDI. It's being changed now 6000miles later and all is fine. Actually quieter than the semi synthetic I ran before when the car didn't have a re-map at the end of the same period but without a track day.

I did read somewhere that the Pro S range has done 10 hour racing stints without falling apart. So really the good quality 40 oils should be fine with the oil cooler fitted.

In my boggo 172 cup that two of us share at track days I currently use whatever Renault Chuck in. 3 track days of 8 15-20min sessions each track say and all seems well.