ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Day Tyres - 205/50/15

172 Cup
Alright Chaps,

Looking to use 205/50/15 with my new 2118's on track. Years ago, I used prada spec 2's as they were super cheap but im now a little more competitive with timing and i want to get the best out of each lap! What are you others using?

Cheers

Mark

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I remember my first day at Oulton, had Prada spec 2’s on aswell. Was a really hot day and they were spot on. This is before I read the internet hate for them.

I really like the rsr tyre tbh

172 Cup
Cheers James. I'm not running a cage just yet so i've ruled out slicks until the summer time. From what i understand, you cant run slicks without a cage on general track days?

172 Cup
Ok cool. I plan on getting one soon so will be out on slicks by the end of the year definitely. Do you run slicks? What ones do you use? Do you scrape them etc after each use?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
No i don't use slicks i have the DZ03G and then Toyo R1R for wet.

You'll be able to get the Dunlop slicks used from some of the Mini Challenge teams, they use the 185/580/15 slicks in one of their classes.

You cant beat the r888's for the price and wear rate, they also work in damp/light rain with no puddles and they can be had part worn for peanuts on eBay.

Listerine & Poledo
If you start going slicks, isn't that the time to start bulking-up your transmission, hubs etc?

Something to do with the higher loads

If you start going slicks, isn't that the time to start bulking-up your transmission, hubs etc?

Something to do with the higher loads
Just bushes really, driveshaft’s will take more stress as will wheel bearings but no point using slicks without decent coilovers, stiff springs and at least -2 camber.

172 Cup
I’ve got some bilsteins on the way with 182 60mm hubs (Bearing different??) bushes are all being replaced with poly race spec items until next year when I’ll upgrade to a 2/3 way set of coilovers. I brought the car fairly cheap and it needed a bunch to get started but all will be upgraded throughout the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
You cant beat the r888's for the price and wear rate, they also work in damp/light rain with no puddles and they can be had part worn for peanuts on eBay.

Another vote for 888’s or 888r’s. I’ve tried both and can’t tell the difference. Grip for £ is very good.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys

Sorry to bump this old topic, I have been searching and it seemed better then starting a new thread.

I am after some 15 inch slicks for dry and thinking of AD08R's for wets? I need to try and keep the cost down, they are for competing but I think I can run any tyre as it is Modified production class.

Where would I get some second hand slicks to try, just ebay etc? and how do sizes work, as I have a feeling from looking around they are different?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Ebay or try the Track Time Facebook page to see if anyone has some.

The Mini Challenge cars use Dunlop 185/580R15

Or Michelin equivalent size will be 19/57-15

What are the tyre regs for your series?

Listerine & Poledo
If it's sprint trials like I've seen, as James says, you wont have time to get temperature.

Typically you aren't allowed to do burnouts or such. The only cars I see with slicks at sprints are single-seaters.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Im sure you’ll need a different camber setup from road tyres aswel for using slicks. Might be better off with something like the Extreme VR2 in R5 compound which are proving to be really good in sprints / hills compared to the previous tyres alot of people ran (R888 SG) Im speaking from a road class perspective though but thought id offer that as an option if you tend to sway away from full slicks

535d / t5 caravelle
Rather start a new thread, thought I’d keep it in here.

Hoping to do a few track days next year, so been looking at semi slick tyres, found these Pirelli p zero corsa semi slicks, but can’t find a great deal of info on them? I’m guessing there an old design? Are they any good is what I want to know? Also found some used Nankang AR1’s which I’m tempted to have a punt at, but the Nankang s are used, these pirelli’s Are unused.

Go for the pirelli’s?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-never-...-slick-race-tyre-track-r888-a048/123374551939

Rather start a new thread, thought I’d keep it in here.

Hoping to do a few track days next year, so been looking at semi slick tyres, found these Pirelli p zero corsa semi slicks, but can’t find a great deal of info on them? I’m guessing there an old design? Are they any good is what I want to know? Also found some used Nankang AR1’s which I’m tempted to have a punt at, but the Nankang s are used, these pirelli’s Are unused.

Go for the pirelli’s?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-never-...-slick-race-tyre-track-r888-a048/123374551939
Just ask for the DOT codes mate and if under 5 years old make him an offer.

535d / t5 caravelle
"there quite old now, can't remember but will check" was he's response, will wait and see

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah they'll be old those mate. Sure the trofeo r was there replacement which have been out a good few years now.

Got a link to the AR1's as these will be fairly new?

535d / t5 caravelle
I'll have a bid, any idea what kind of price you'd expect to pay for used tyres like these, £200 ish?

Alright Chaps,

Looking to use 205/50/15 with my new 2118's on track. What are you others using?

Cheers

Mark

Interstate Race DNRT ...... My 205s were £297 a set Inc delivery. They were selling like hot cakes on eBay but may still be some left. Two compounds available ... I had 'soft' for competition use but you may need 'medium' for longer track sessions.

Road legal and MotorSport Association approved for competition - list 1B.

large_RACE.2_2.jpg

535d / t5 caravelle
@JB21

got the nankangs for £205, a mates offered to collect them for me, hes goes that way weeekly.

another query, when are semi slicks classed as beyond use, from a wear point of view, have i read you can run them bald pretty much?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
@JB21

got the nankangs for £205, a mates offered to collect them for me, hes goes that way weeekly.

another query, when are semi slicks classed as beyond use, from a wear point of view, have i read you can run them bald pretty much?

I run them until the tread has pretty much gone.

535d / t5 caravelle
Realistically I’d be lucky to do 2 track days next year, more than likely 1, so should last a good while, that’s good being able to swap them, only ever used some Dunlop Direzza’s before which where pretty well used when I got them, and they where superb.

535d / t5 caravelle
Be interesting to see how you compare them, only did one track day with mine and that was a good few years back, and it was my 1st and only time on semi slicks.