ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track pads

Golf GTD Mk7
Basically, running ds2500/hc/braided lines/dot4 super. On track there are vibrating loads under heavy braking which makes me think they are over heating. They don't provide much confidence. Tried lifting off early and braking less harshly, but no change. This was after about 5 laps. Not running CAF, but I know others who have similar issues who do. Car is pretty standard weight wise. I'm running toyos on track.

What pads are better that won't knacker wheels and paintwork?

Thinking either;
Ds3000
Yellowstuff
Bluestuff
CL rc5+

Squealing isn't an issue ;) advice welcome

53 Clio's & counting
What discs are you running mate?

id leave the yellowstuff - used them in the Elise and stopped it very very well but gave absolutely no feel at all - not good for confindence

172 cup, Impreza P1
I'm using pagid rs4's and brembo max discs with no CAF as yet but I've got the same issue. I'm going to try some ne discs with my CAF to the breaks and see how it goes.

TrackCar & F30 330d
The problem your having is crossing the line from road car to race car. To go to the next stage of braking performance means you'll need to use a pad which could be a bit harsh to your paintwork & wheels.

I ran the older CL RC5's race pads on the road and had no problem in the summer when I was washing the car at least once a week, as soon as it came into the winter with the rubbish weather and the salt on the road my wheels and bodywork soon got very messy and very very difficult to clean.

So from my experience go with a CL pad as you will never over heat them as I never have at any of my trackdays or my 18 laps of the ring.

Golf GTD Mk7
that's what I thought chris. I remember seeing your silver/orange car at Pauls.lol. Can't be arsed having to clay the car every time I hit the track. I'm swaying towards ds3000 pads. I thought you ran CLRC6 pads?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
The problem your having is crossing the line from road car to race car. To go to the next stage of braking performance means you'll need to use a pad which could be a bit harsh to your paintwork & wheels.

I ran the older CL RC5's race pads on the road and had no problem in the summer when I was washing the car at least once a week, as soon as it came into the winter with the rubbish weather and the salt on the road my wheels and bodywork soon got very messy and very very difficult to clean.

So from my experience go with a CL pad as you will never over heat them as I never have at any of my trackdays or my 18 laps of the ring.

Unless they fall apart....Great pads just rubbish at being in one piece...

ITB'd MK1
Unless they fall apart....Great pads just rubbish at being in one piece...

no, that was a batch of RC5+, not the RC5, and not all of them ever made.

Mintex 1155 or 1166 (driven a few mk1's with both) are where I would be looking for a fast road/track crossover pad

Lionel Richie
i know of 3 meganes now with failed CL pads, i've lost count of the amount of 172/182's i've seen with failed pads, got to be at least 8

TrackCar & F30 330d
that's what I thought chris. I remember seeing your silver/orange car at Pauls.lol. Can't be arsed having to clay the car every time I hit the track. I'm swaying towards ds3000 pads. I thought you ran CLRC6 pads?

Yeah that was because I hadn't washed my car in ages and the pads had foooked the wheels.

Regular washing of the car is fine tho.

I bought my CL RC5 pads years ago for £90 posted from Kam racing. And they have done me very well, not fallen apart, not really lost much pad but I have used 3 sets of brembo max discs.

Yes I have heard the newer batch of CL pads fall apart but mine have not.

I would just pop a set of decent race pads in just before a trackday and then take them out after the track day.

172 Race Car
What discs are you running mate?

id leave the yellowstuff - used them in the Elise and stopped it very very well but gave absolutely no feel at all - not good for confindence
You say that but were running them on the race car currently and they feel great. were flat out for 40mins and with two podium finishes in a row now so they cant be that bad.

Golf GTD Mk7
What's the dust like off them jay? Not that you two are bothered by that ;)

Dave, meek was running the same pads with arches removed, and it's lighter (most likely part of my issue) and they were getting similar issues

Why about blue stuff Fred?

172 Race Car
Just saying that for what they cost they are pretty good. Not sure on dust mate, everything gets washed after 70mins of running as the car is generaly covered in all sorts, flys, rubber etc

Lionel Richie
s**t

DS3000's, are your 2500's fitted properly, re my instructions? Pads have to be free to move otherwise they will knacker the discs and cause vibration

Golf GTD Mk7
I've trimmd quite a bit off them. They move up and down in the carrier anyway. Maybe too much :S Probably a mm off each end roughly.

Lionel Richie
well in that case you've moved up a class from billy track day novice, to driving hero, therefore better pads required

Golf GTD Mk7
Just saying that for what they cost they are pretty good. Not sure on dust mate, everything gets washed after 70mins of running as the car is generaly covered in all sorts, flys, rubber etc

If you wash it you would notice rough paint/orange marks etc. Would show up loads on yours, so I guess they're not too bad then.

well in that case you've moved up a class from billy track day novice, to driving hero, therefore better pads required

Cheers ;) Maybe dot 5.1?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Pagid RS14s are shaping up to be pretty decent imo Jonny. Practically zero dust with a lot more bite than 2500s.

Golf GTD Mk7
Pagid RS14s are shaping up to be pretty decent imo Jonny. Practically zero dust with a lot more bite than 2500s.

I'll keep an eye out for some cheep ones. I suppose it's easy enough to change pads over so I could get a few and see what happens.

RB 182
Jonny, we are fitting DS3000 and plain HC discs next week so will let you know what they feel like. On my 182 the standard DS2500 were perfect and 4 pot DS3000 were much better. Is this the first time you have used them on track or Oulton Park?

I'm still confused why our pads were off at Oulton which is why I thought it could be a dodgey batch. We could have simply boiled the fluid but have never felt the brakes so soft even after long stints at previous track days.

182cup & 172 racecar
Bloody racing drivers ;) who does that get delegated to?

Er,that will be me.No I've never noticed any marks down the side of the car relating to brake dust etc,actually my road car with M1144 is worse for that.

As I've said on many occasion's before,we raced on DS2500 in Hungary and never had any issues with fade etc and that was with constant left foot braking as well,so I don't know what you are all doing out there??

Golf GTD Mk7
Jonny, we are fitting DS3000 and plain HC discs next week so will let you know what they feel like. On my 182 the standard DS2500 were perfect and 4 pot DS3000 were much better. Is this the first time you have used them on track or Oulton Park?

I'm still confused why our pads were off at Oulton which is why I thought it could be a dodgey batch. We could have simply boiled the fluid but have never felt the brakes so soft even after long stints at previous track days.

I've done about 4 sessions at Oulton on them now Mike. Always get the same issue, although it was worse last week. Pads still have plenty on them. Doing Donny on the 16th, so i'll see how they fare then. I'd imagine it's a bit less of a brakey track, so it might not be so much of an issue.

Er,that will be me.No I've never noticed any marks down the side of the car relating to brake dust etc,actually my road car with M1144 is worse for that.

As I've said on many occasion's before,we raced on DS2500 in Hungary and never had any issues with fade etc and that was with constant left foot braking as well,so I don't know what you are all doing out there??

lol. Thought you might have roped someone else in to do it.

I'm confused as well really mate. Not sure why they have started falling off. I may strip them down and have a look when the weather improves. They feel fine again once cooled though. Discs seem ok also. I may need some better rear pads as i'm running Ktec ones at the mo, so that might be overloading the fronts a little on hard braking. It's strange because when I first fitted the DS2500's the bite was good.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Welcome to try the pf97s Jonny. I get the impression they wouldn't agree too much with your nice shiny RB paint though :p

Golf GTD Mk7
Fair one, pagids could be worth a shot then? Be interesting to see how much kinder the ceramic compound is on the discs too.

Didn't realise they are ceramic. Explains the cost of them :( you got a bargain mate. Do you have full coding for them? I'm sure pads from other cars would fit

Golf GTD Mk7
The main aim for a race pad is too stop the car,not mince about with bodywork.

I know, I know. I want my cake blah blah. Ceramic might be the better way to go I guess. Better temperature control. Plus porkies are fitted with them and I doubt they want messed up paint ;) I think lotus run these standard. Might have been Paul that mentioned it