ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Ph1 Shed

After a long day yesterday I've finally collected my track car. The car has great history on the forum, having been owned by 3 or 4 different guys on here.

The car was sold with a problem with the front end shaking from about 50/60mph under load. So I dropped the car straight off at Magic Mikes for him to have a little look over, change a few fluids etc then I'll get Brands booked for next month.

Rough spec is (as far as I can ascertain);
- Konigsport coilovers
- AST topmounts
- Camber bolts
- Polybushed wishbones
- Polybushed front arb
- Vibratechnics Solid engine mounts
- Polybushed dogbone mount
- Ktec stealth
- Matched inlets
- 182 Manifold
- Whiteline rear arb
- Corbeau Revolution wrap around bucket seats
- OMP Corsica wheel
- SM gear shift
- Ph2 dash conversion
- Colour coded side strips
- Prima racing exhaust mounts
- 20mm front spacers

Aaaand I think that's it. Luckily I have found a few previous threads and can see that the car has been very well looked after. I believe @Nickson and @benkay did the majority of the work, so I thank you!

Plans! Get it ready for track and do as many track days as I can. I'm trying to not fall into the trap of modding unnecessarily, where the money could be spent on a track day.

The only things I'm going to change are the steering wheel, as I'd prefer a flat over a dished wheel, and most likely a roll cage/harnesses. If any weaknesses are identified on the track I'll try to address them but I think the biggest weakness is likely to be me.

Also the car currently has nearly new AD08Rs on the front and T1-Rs on the back, so will most likely buy matching Yokos for the rear.

Only a couple of crappy pictures so far

1c5a279bfce94c10252c0606dc6e3425.jpg

1f9d6ec1c3741b78ba189253f5677d7f.jpg

09b590eab66bcbf1675a847847ca167c.jpg

If anyone sees me at Brands or anywhere and fancies a laugh, come over and watch me try to get in or out of the car. It's near impossible with the seats bolted to the floor and dished wheel! Plus the fact I'm as flexible as a corpse with rigor mortis, makes for an entertaining spectacle.

Oh and if anyone could recommend me a good helmet for track days! Not sure what's best, closed/open faced?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I bought an open face from tweeks as i wear glasses. Think most buy the omp star is it? £70 ish iirc

Looks like Brands on Sat 18th June is going to be the only track day I can do next month, it's a sessioned evening trackday and I will book 1 session of tuition to get me started along the right path.

Will be a good way to get used to the car and highlight any potential issues!

Last edited:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
What an absolute steal you got there! I'll be at brands somepoint over the summer so will let you know when I'll be there.

Was the vibration a collapsed tripod on the driveshaft?

330i. E30 Touring.
What an absolute steal you got there! I'll be at brands somepoint over the summer so will let you know when I'll be there.

Was the vibration a collapsed tripod on the driveshaft?

I'm not sure whether it was the old discs or the driveshaft tbh, but one of the two sorted it.

Both shafts that came off it looked absolutely fine to me, but swapping those and the discs fixed it! :)

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Love this car, spent so much time on it (especially the full interior conversion, never again). It had a roll cage and harnesses in it when it left my ownership! You should also sort the brake ducts, there's pipes on the back, but no hole through the arch liners, was going to do it but car sold quicker than I'd expected!

Discs were definitely a bit past it!
b04957be00bf388ed936d1a3ae4712fb.jpg

Have now booked Brands for Saturday 18th, had wanted to do an open track evening session on Tuesday 21st but couldn't get it off work.

Got 1 session of tuition, also hoping to have some way of using my iPhone to record the day so I can look back and laugh at how poor my driving is.

Any recommendations for iPhone mounts?! No cage at the moment so unsure where to mount it.

Also looking at getting this helmet
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321329695557
But need to work out which size!

Love this car, spent so much time on it (especially the full interior conversion, never again). It had a roll cage and harnesses in it when it left my ownership! You should also sort the brake ducts, there's pipes on the back, but no hole through the arch liners, was going to do it but car sold quicker than I'd expected!

Yeah I had noticed the ducts needed connecting up, will definitely get that sorted before Brands! Well I must thank you for the interior conversion as the standard ph1 interior is horrid!

Last edited:
AD08Rs fitted to the rears, so now have matching tyres ready for Brands on Saturday. O/s/r alloy was a bit buckled so will swap that over to the spare at some point.

Also having a few electrical niggles which will have to be fixed at some point, all the time it's driving I'm not too bothered. Will only be used a couple times a month once I get the Passat mot'd.

Well today I did my first track day in the Clio, car performed near flawlessly, except for a vibration when pushing the car a bit harder. At road speeds it's fine but noticed it on the track. Prime suspect is a buckled rear wheel so will swap to my spare wheel and see if that helps.

Did about 60 or so laps of Brands split over 4 sessions, 3 cars managed to crash or break down (3 BMWs iirc!) but luckily I wasn't one of them! Also had the 1 session of tuition which made a massive difference to my driving style and lines. For the £25 it cost me I can't think of any mod which would be as effective! Going to get tuition every time I go for the time being, the car is definitely more capable than myself.

The electrical fault hasn't reappeared for a couple of days though which is strange...

d084589f7930203d2b6178697b89bf18.jpg

Overall an amazing day, hopefully booking another trackday for next month shortly.

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Nice one Lulu! (The cars called Lulu by the way [emoji18])

And well done yourself :)