ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track tyres - 195 or 205

I've run 205/50/15's on my car since I got the 2118's - quite a few people recommended the extra width and apart from a little tiny bit of scrubbing on the inner plastic arches at the back (which needs binning anyway) - had no problems

Question is now I'm gonna be ordering some FZ-201's or R888's - do I stick with 205's or go to 195's?
I know the sidewalls are a bit chunkier and stiffer on track tyres so wondering if they cause any issues?

I'll be getting some 10/15mm spacers soon to bring the wheels out as they sit too far in - so there should be enough clearance - but eager to hear what the track day lads use?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I must confess that having tried both sizes on track, Ive not been able to notice much difference TBH
Im sure there is, just not enough for the likes of me to notice.
205 do seem to last a little longer though, I guess just because there is 5% less pressure on them due to the bigger contact patch!

The price seems to be quite a bit more for 205's - extra £19 per corner for R888's - so I'm kinda leaning towards saving £80 and getting 195's

But if you look at the Dunlop DZ03 tech list - they actually say for a 6.5" rim you should be running 205's

Hrmmm

182cup & 172 racecar
We run 195's, but When I drove Marks (Iceman) car at Silverstone running 205's I could tell the difference straight away.

Only trouble was, we had just bought 12 195's so we are stuck with them. Next order will be 205's me thinks.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Surely that could be anything Tony - If they were 195 and 205 on the same car fair enough, but different cars it could be anything.

205s are ultimately going to give better grip because there's more rubber available. Whether you notice this or value the difference cost wise is another matter. Especially since it's not for competition.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surely that could be anything Tony - If they were 195 and 205 on the same car fair enough, but different cars it could be anything.

205s are ultimately going to give better grip because there's more rubber available. Whether you notice this or value the difference cost wise is another matter. Especially since it's not for competition.

Its a bell curve for optimum tyre width for any given application.

IME for a trackday hothatch, 195 and 205 are both very near the centre of that bell curve.

182cup & 172 racecar
You could be right, but I also know that I am ;), lateral forces and all that.

But yes, a fair comparison would have been to put them on our car I agree.

If it gained 1/2 sec a lap, then that's good and worth it. Trackday, don't bother.

OK cheers guys

So it's around £440 for 195's or £520 for 205's and you basically get a very marginal performance increase and a bit more life from 205's

I might just go for 205's cos I kinda like how chunky they look on the wheels too lol

182 FF, A6 Avant
My tyre supplier is £427 delivered for the R888's in 195's or £475 for the 205's :) Let me know if you want me to pm the details mate :)

Can your supplier source other tyres? (I'm after AD08s in a 195/50/15)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
We run 195's, but When I drove Marks (Iceman) car at Silverstone running 205's I could tell the difference straight away.

Only trouble was, we had just bought 12 195's so we are stuck with them. Next order will be 205's me thinks.

If your ordering a good few at a time drop me a pm and i will sort you out some good discount.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
My tyre supplier is £427 delivered for the R888's in 195's or £475 for the 205's :) Let me know if you want me to pm the details mate :)

Is that for 195/50/15 R888s? If so i can sort you a much better price than that ;) Same goes for the 205s aswell.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Was left with Admin to sort out a discount code so i will pm him and see where he got to with setting one up.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Back on the original question. A down side to the 205s will be that the car is geared up by 1.7% over the 195s. Dunt sound much but it would roughly equate to 0.1 seconds slower to 60mph.

ph1 172
Posing another question that is slightly related....

The general consensus is that the 205 width is preferred. How are the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups as a sole track tyre as they only come in 205/50 15.