ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Traction control light after removing steering wheel...

200 FF Storm Grey
Removed standard steering wheel today to fit new aftermarket and now airbag light (expected), service light (showed when I removed .y seats yesterday along with airbag) and now the traction control light.

When car first starts light doesn't show and traction control can be turned off and on by the switch.

Drive a bitdown the street though and traction control light shows.

Is this pure coincidence that itcame on afterremoving the wheel? Battery was disconnected also.

200 FF Storm Grey
ABS light is now on aswell for good measure, so reckon it could be break switch and its just coincidence with the wheel?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The slip ring/angle sensor (the spinny thing behind the wheel) must be correctly set.

If you moved it 360 degrees either way then it would present the traction control light like you say, after a short while. Needs setting back to centre which is a case of removing the wheel and turning it all the way as far as it goes and then about 2.5 turns back to centre, there's a little indicator window to help you set it right too but mine is damaged so dont know how it works.

200 FF Storm Grey
That explains why it would only spin so far then.

It end up getting snapped but is back in there now, hopefully it will still have an effect :/ long story short I've been supplied with wrong boss kit so mate was convinced the airbag wires should tuck in behind that disc.

So if I unbolt the wheel, spin the disc till it stops, turn back 2.5 it will knock the lights off?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That explains why it would only spin so far then.

It end up getting snapped but is back in there now, hopefully it will still have an effect :/ long story short I've been supplied with wrong boss kit so mate was convinced the airbag wires should tuck in behind that disc.

So if I unbolt the wheel, spin the disc till it stops, turn back 2.5 it will knock the lights off?

Not guaranteeing anything but hopefull yes.

Aslong as you haven't damaged it. As you probably know by now, the wires hide in the boss.

200 FF Storm Grey
I've damaged the disc but only plastic clip and a slight crack socant see that effecting the electronics.

Yeh realised the wires go un the boss, but the wires have been completely cut off bar the horn, completely idiotic I know, a case of mates thinking they know best!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
lol, no worries, i did exactly the same first time i took my wheel off and got in a right huff over the TC light being on!

200 FF Storm Grey
Don't plan on putting the car back to standard but can't help feel wounded over the fact all the wiring has been completely butchered, looks a right mess, suppose what you can't see though when the new wheel is back on.

Just hope rally nuts don't play up now with sorting out the replacement.

Golf GTD Mk7
if you cant sort it mate, pop up at the weekend and i'll plug it in clip for you. Tells you the steering angle real time, so you can adjust to the correct positioning and reset it.

200 FF Storm Grey
if you cant sort it mate, pop up at the weekend and i'll plug it in clip for you. Tells you the steering angle real time, so you can adjust to the correct positioning and reset it.

That would be great mate, so how does that work/link up?

Golf GTD Mk7
when you remove the wheel there is a little circular plastic thingy top left, which is the sensor. You set the neutral position of the wheel, it then knows when the wheel is being turned. you might have broken this though it you're having issues. If you're wheels are straight, then it souldn't be affected, unless the wheel isn't registering on the sensor with it being aftermarket. When you say turn the plastic thing, do you mean the bit which has the bit which all the wires are attached to?

200 FF Storm Grey
Well for the mo I've shoved the standard wheel back on because I was sent the wrong boss.

The circular clip that spins freely got snapped at the back, I've put it back on now and I can see it turning with the wheel (airbag isn't in so can see through).

And yeh the bit which all the wires are attached too (or were attached too :\)

200 FF Storm Grey
Update:

New wheel is on, I've repositioned the circular disc so that the marker goes from blue to yellow, I've also had it on the Renault Clip system but it wouldn't reset.

Anybody any idea as to why that would be? Seems hard to believe the angle sensor itself could be physically broke but then again I don't fully understand how it works.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW F82 M4
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have the same problem after changing my wheel :(

Did you get it sorted? If so, may I ask how?

Thanks!