ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tramlining and torquesteer

Clio 182
My 182 seems to be tramlining quite badly to the right, it tries to pull itself to the other side of the road if you get near the white lines. Also the otherday I gave it a bootfull in first gear and it torqued steered quite violently to the right again I assume it was tramlining and it got exaggerated as I booted it.

It has had a right hand trackrod end, steering rack bushes and alignment lately and the wishbone bushes and balljoints have no play, apart from tramlining it drives very nicely. From what I can tell it only does it to the right, or it is certainly much worse going right. The tyres are half worn Goodyear Eagles F1's so I doubt it's them.

Anyone got any idea's?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Inner ones can go but if there's no play they shouldn't be a problem.

I'm at a loss if the alignment is correct. Only thing I can think is that its driveshaft related, with uneven power going to each wheel. Not sure what would cause it though.

SQ5
Ah yes, this will help with the tramlining at 50mph with a small throttle application.

As I said, the track rods being replaced at the same time probably will

Also the otherday I gave it a bootfull in first gear and it torqued steered quite violently to the right again I assume it was tramlining and it got exaggerated as I booted it.

Anyone got any idea's?

You booted it in first gear at 50mph? What gearbox are you running?

SQ5
Inner ones can go but if there's no play they shouldn't be a problem.

I'm at a loss if the alignment is correct. Only thing I can think is that its driveshaft related, with uneven power going to each wheel. Not sure what would cause it though.

Power only goes to one wheel at once, you know that right?

SQ5
Uneven power isn't a thing, if it was it would pull to the side all the time as only one wheel puts power down, unless you have a limited slip differential.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I get this tramlining too.
I'm in need of new tyres so I put it down to that. Let me know if you find out it was something not mentioned.

SQ5
Uneven power isn't a thing with cars with a standard differential.

If one wheel has a lighter load then power goes to that wheel.

I don't see you correlation between uneven power and uneven length driveshafts though.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That's pretty much exactly what I was meaning. Its still uneven power distribution in a way.

Uneven length driveshafts will always give torque steer (in something with a bit more than a Clio anyway lol) with the power taking the path of least resistance, or the shorter one. Without the initial uneven power there, torque steer wouldn't happen. That was my thinking anyway.

Clio 182
As I said, the track rods being replaced at the same time probably will

You booted it in first gear at 50mph? What gearbox are you running?

The other trackrod had no play in granted it's not brand new but its hardly going to have enough effect to make the car do what it's doing.
You implied that the torque steer issues were due to poor throttle control which from a standstill in 1st or at 50mph in 5th is not case as you yourself have said that you won't get torque steer in a Clio, so the fact that I got torquesteer implies something is wrong, perhaps I am misusing the statement torquesteer as it was the tramlining causing the wheel to turn but it is the same phenomenon.

Uneven power isn't a thing with cars with a standard differential.

If one wheel has a lighter load then power goes to that wheel.

I don't see you correlation between uneven power and uneven length driveshafts though.

I assume he is meaning torque but as power is a function or Torque it's not that innaccurate. Unequal driveshafts are the main cause of torquesteer in front wheel drive cars.

Anyway to my problem, I feel the best and easiest place to start is to get the tracking rechecked at a different place as sburrell has said other than tracking he is at a loss.

SQ5
Every Clio has uneven driveshafts though and none suffer from torque steer. Even my 250bhp one was fine.

Something as little as an old TRE can cause issues especially if one side has been changed. Putting on a newer part one side will highlight problems on the other side.

I'd be replacing them and the ball joints first then getting the alignment sorted.

Clio 182
Mine did this last month or so ago and it was the wheel bearing up front. Have you checked that for play?

Interesting I have notice a drone that I think might be a wheel bearing on the way out but it sounded like it was coming from the rear, I will have a check and see if there is any play this weekend was it easy to spot the play in yours?

phase 1 172
have you checked the springs to see if a small section has snapped off / strut top mounts for excessive play?

if theres play in any of the joints the alignment you had done is likely to not be right

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting I have notice a drone that I think might be a wheel bearing on the way out but it sounded like it was coming from the rear, I will have a check and see if there is any play this weekend was it easy to spot the play in yours?

Yes mate, very easy. Life the car up and check for play in the disk holding the wheel at quarter to three and rocking back and forth.

SQ5
What, 1WD?

Well no, as it has two wheels that drive, like 4wd, it's usually only 2wd on most newer vehicles.

A differential works by putting power to wheel with the least traction, where you would use a limited slip differential to have power going to both wheels.

That's a proper s**t explanation but it's basically correct.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Well no, as it has two wheels that drive, like 4wd, it's usually only 2wd on most newer vehicles.

A differential works by putting power to wheel with the least traction, where you would use a limited slip differential to have power going to both wheels.

That's a proper s**t explanation but it's basically correct.
But what if both wheels have an even amount of traction?

Power goes to both wheels, its just when one breaks traction, all the power will then go to that one wheel

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

WAT

A differential puts power to both wheels unless it doesn't have any traction then all the power goes to the wheel that has lost that traction. Unless you have an LSD.

Edit - Beaten to it by james lol