ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Transporting a Bike

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
Ive just bought myself a Mountain Bike just asking what people use to take there bike places (no smart comments about riding them, long distance or to local trails). A mate had the boot one and the bike ended up scratching his boot so I'm thinking of a roof rack, my cars low so it will be easy ha.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
I take both wheels off and then everything fits in fine. No need to squeeze it in and scratch anything at all if you do that. I had 2 bikes in mine last week on the way to Cannock Chase.

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
I take both wheels off and then everything fits in fine. No need to squeeze it in and scratch anything at all if you do that. I had 2 bikes in mine last week on the way to Cannock Chase.

I will also be going camping with it so the boot will be full. Roof rack it is

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Hmm I dunno. Mine was pretty full because we used a lot of cushions to protect the frames. With some jiggling though you should get enough basic camping gear in for a weekend. There's quite a bit of room in them, I just moved everything I own back home in mine. A bit tricky for me to express just how much that was but the boxes filled about 10x10 feet of floor space.

Octavia VRS
I take my back bench seats out...then take your wheels off so the bike is sitting just behind you where the seats would normally be. I can fit 2X road bikes and 4 wheels in using this method!
you also have the boot free for your kit!
Hope this helps!

1.2 Dynamique
Agree with the wheel off method-Surprising amount of room if you use it wisely- I had 3 mountain bike in the back of mine today.

Use the brain and don't rush and jam everything in. I've got a few old blankets I use.

Clio 200 - Kona Cowan + Kona Stinky Primo + all my gear.

clio%20bikes.jpg

Clio 172 RS2
Get some wheelbags... and use blankets.
(It's more likey you scuff the plastic rear panels with the alcantara inserts)

I can easily fit two bikes with wheels mounted in; that is 2 x BMX bikes.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
remove the rear bench, although not always necessary, lay your back seats down. 2x DH bikes with a dust sheet between them, 4x wheels in wheel bags, full camping kit and riding gear and change of clothes for 3 day trip to Wales. No need for speed and fuel sucking roof or boot bars. You can even fit 2x surf or snowboards in the clio.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
remove the front wheel and just put it in the boot ? i can comfortably get 2 mountain bikes in my boot, 3 at a real squeeze

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Rig up

59631f40.jpg

OR

this

DSC02162.jpg

DSC02283.jpg

This method is fine if you
A) have a towbar... for 182's this isn't an option...
B) you have a trailer license (or you're old enough to have the entitlement already)
Finally...
C) You have a trailer!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
This method is fine if you
A) have a towbar... for 182's this isn't an option...
B) you have a trailer license (or you're old enough to have the entitlement already)
Finally...
C) You have a trailer!

Don't need a trailer licence if the max weight of the trailer and car combined weight less then 3.5t. therefore not needed unless you're towing a horsebox / car trailer etc

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Car driving licence first obtained since 1 January 1997
Drivers who passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 are required to pass an additional driving test in order to gain entitlement to category B+E and all larger vehicles. In addition to the new driving tests, drivers of vehicles which fall within subcategories C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E also have to meet higher medical standards..
:clown:
The way i read this, is that I'd need to take an extra test...