ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tried detailing the MPS....

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
i have given the MPS a really good going over today, not necessarily with the best stuff in the world but its what i had! The problem i had was the clay just started breaking up on me after using it a lot to remove really stubborn bits of tar on the front wings / side skirts and doors. i used the clay for a good while, and whilst it removed it slowly, there must be an easier way!

I did / used the following... oh and i do not have a pressure washer!

• Megs softs suds, washed two bucket method
  • Dodo clay and born slippy lube (tar removed on one side, the clay broke up terribly and started to fragment)
  • Megs soft suds washed two bucket method agian, then rinsed and dried with megs water magnet
  • Then used Megs Step 1 deep crystal paint cleaner, all over then buffed off.
  • Then used Megs Step 2 deep crystal polish
The car looks bloody fantastic, and i have had to put it in the garage for the night as i had run out of light (6 hours later!)

I was intending on using Chemical guys Pete's 53 wax as i have it in the garage tomorrow and then was going to sort all the black trims with AG bumper care, polish and apply poor-boys wheel sealant to the rims and some tyre shine.

Does this sounds like a half decent attempt or have i dived in not knowing what the hell im doing?? the clio was driven not detailed!

I am well aware this thread is useless without pics but ill get some first thing!

Oh and this is the car / colour..

105998b1.jpg

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Last read that you were interested in buying one - are you happy with it? Seems a swift move, did you manage to try a few out?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Could've always bought some tardis or itr to help with the tar removing as clay is not the best thing for removing larger tar spots.

Clay is more for removing contaminants rater than larger stuck on dirt.

Did you have the clay nice and warm as I personally find it works better warm.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Did you regularly dip it in warm water? I'm no expert but I have a bowl of warm water with some qd sparayed in it.

How old is the clay? How do you store it?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Well I'm all out of ideas then... You'll need Jamie, Kev or any of the other detailing die hards to help you on this one.

Seems strange though as I've clayed on some pretty warm days.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like you were using a lot of pressure mate to remove tar.
Truth be told you should be doing the opposite.

Oh and i'd never clay without using a tar remover first.

Google polished bliss mate they have a guide to claying ect, give it a good read you may pick up some tips.

Also try and compare using a little shampoo and water as your lube instead of a fancy clay lube. :)

Don't forget in most cases claying will inflict some light marring so always best to polish afterwards.

That said claying is essential for a really smooth slick finish.

Bumder With A Buffer
As the gypo said claying you should not be using any pressure what so ever really. If it breaks up your using to much force and causing marring IMO

Pete's 53 is good. Smells lovely. I have that and mine needs a going over soon.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Its a one off, trust me!! I'll be bringing it along to a track day soon! Show the megane Boys a thing or two!