ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TRIP computer still resets!

Clio MK 4
Went to the garage which fitted my battery last and because it still has a years guarantee i went to get it changed for free as my TRIP computer kept resetting and thought it's probably my batterry. They tested it and said it wasn't working as it should so they changed it.

Anyway next morning being cold i start my car and yes everything reset itself! I looked under the bonnet and I still have the old battery. I assume they kept the casing and just changed the inside bit. Is this normal? I did see them working on my car so i'm pretty sure they did change it lol. As i have a "new" battery, any ideas why it still resets itself on cold mornings only?

PH1 172
Changed casing? I am confused as I have never seen a battery with changeable casing before and it should just be a new battery sitting there if they have changed it :-/

Clio MK 4
Changed casing? I am confused as I have never seen a battery with changeable casing before and it should just be a new battery sitting there if they have changed it :-/

Ye this is what i thought! But they were in the bonnet for 20 mins which i saw as i was waiting so they must have done something! And they said they replaced it! bit confused

M2 Competition
Lol at changed the casing! They havnt changed your battery, they've fiddled under the bonnet for 20 mins checking for loose connections, and to make it look like they've done something.

Go back, ask for a new battery, they've already told you the one in there is broken.

Clio MK 4
lol ye I just wanted to make sure as dont want to go in and say you havnt changed it and theyr like yes we did. I dont understand why they'd lie. Its not like it costs them anything as they just send the faulty one back and get money refunded. Plus they spent 15 mins under the bonnet in which they time they could have put the new one.

'95 Astra :-(
My trip was resetting every time in the morning when the temp gauge showed 7 deg & lower.

If you turn the ignition on and check it, all the numbers are there. Only when you crank the engine does it reset.

Anyhow, a few weeks ago I ran my battery out. I was fiddling with the HID Xenons (another story!) and to try the lights, I turned them on (this was during the day) and I forgot to turn them off.

I got jumped started by recovery man and for the past 3 weeks my trip has not reset!?!

It is going to be fcuking cold tomorrow morning, so we will see if the trip is still ok?

Higgy.

Well what do you know, this morning the trip had reset.

Temp reading said -3 deg !!

Higgy.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
-4 here this morning and no reset after I got a new battery last month.

Did you fit a decent battery or a cheapy thing

Last edited:
I have not changed the battery.
I ran the battery out being a fool and leaving the lights on for about 4 hours :eek:

If the car was struggling to start I would buy a new battery. I'll see how it copes with this spell of cold weather.

I still cannot really see how the battery which apparently is on its way out, still has enough grunt to start the car with no trouble. But resets the trip, which must hardly require any current to keep the values :S

Which fuse Oms?

I would have thought that a blown fuse would mean a whole system did not work?

Cheers.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Just because the car doesn't struggle to start doesn't mean the battery is ok. Mine was starting and driving fine apart from trip resetting. I got a multimeter on it and a friend to crank it over and you could see it struggling on the metre.

Clio 197
Which fuse Oms?

I would have thought that a blown fuse would mean a whole system did not work?

Cheers.

I can't remember which one... but I was fiddling with installing a stereo/sub, and I blew a fuse.

I think it was one of the fuses in the glove box?