ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trohpy in Evo again - Fast Club 2006 Article

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
"It's [Trophy] almost 10 seconds quicker than the [1.6 Sport] Focus but fractionally slower than the Clio 182 Cup...".

Different drivers on different days, or a reason for Trophy owners to be slightly miffed?

I'd say probably the first one?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Just read the rest, and am a bit confused...

"...we expected more of the Clio on the West Circuit. Instead, like the new XK Jaguar, it's a car that's more impressive on the highway, where the subtleties of its chassis tuning can be fully appreciated.".

I thought the whole point of the Sachs dampers was the on-track performance?

MINI JCW
Its like the stigs lap times, they dont really mean much

As ive said before there is nothing in it between all of the Renaultsport Clios

106 GTi
Not had a chance to read it all yet, most intresting part do far is the actual car weights rather than what the manufactuer's claim.

Trophy 1120Kg, car as supplied from Renault, no passengers or luggage but a full tank of fuel.

A4 Avant
30kgs is quite a bit really! How much fuel do they include in Renaults quoted weight?

A full tank of fuel weighs roughly 27kgs.

Maybe reanult quote there cars as having no fuel?

106 GTi
Not sure how Renault do it, some do it with half a tank of fuel, driver and luggage, spme a dry with without any fuel or fluids (oil, coolant etc)

172 Cup
Nige182 said:
Maybe reanult quote there cars as having no fuel?

Perhaps Renault just lie about the weights..

Id happily place money on my standard Cup weighing more than the weight Renault quote.

SLK 350
Theres dry weight (dry weight) and then theres kerb weight (1/2 tank fuel, and driver).

Sounds to be like they don't know what they're talking about in fairness, im pretty sure the track ability of any of the Clio RS range isn't to be sniffed at, even compared to car's (upto) twice its price - LCR/Golf GTI/Focus ST

106 GTi
Ascari, Caterham, Gallardo, Corvette, 911, M6, Evo 340, RS4, Vantage, Cayman, Mustang, Dodge Ram, Chrysler Hemi, Jag XK, Astra VXR.

A4 Avant
Against those cars I'm not surprised it came nearly last!! It's testiment to the car that it didn't finish last!

What did it lap quicker than?

Fingers crossed for the VXR!:D

P.s. thanks for the link steve evo, I know have 3 issues coming my way for free!

Elise/VX220/R26
wasnt expecting the clio to be slower than the VXR on track, trophy even had a higher peak speed so VXR must have been outcornering it. meg 225 trophy was half a second quicker on top gears track so that would make the 225 quicker on track than the 182 trophy...hmmmmm

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I subscribe to EVO, its a great read, although they do sometimes contradict themselves.

Elise/VX220/R26
yeah in the caption for that buggy they said "as much fun as it looks" in the text they say "not fun here" hmm okay they also keep changing their minds about how many stars a car gets, the focus RS was the funniest example, after they slated it and then it got popular they backtracked and tested another one and added a couple of stars (some excuse about a development diff or something lol)

MINI JCW
Bakes said:
Trophy is 1075kg, Cup is 1090kg and standard 182 is 1110kg.

Yeah thats according to the renaultsport website, I have the brochure that says a full fat 182 is 1090kg and the 182 cup is 1075kg. I have a copy of autocar and Evo where they road test the full fat 182 and autocar say it weighs 1090k angd EVO 1080kg

They cant even make their minds up on the weights of the car

Ziel Nurburgring
I suppose whos paid most in each review. Obviously renault are saving the major % of their money for the release of the 197 to beat an FQ400, SLR and Carrera GT.

MINI JCW
blink172 said:
I suppose whos paid most in each review. Obviously renault are saving the major % of their money for the release of the 197 to beat an FQ400, SLR and Carrera GT.

LOL

Me personally thinks Autocar is the best car magazine, its alot more factual and unlike EVO doesnt have unrealistic storys about a 182 keeping up with M6

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
i love autocar aswell. though evo is very well presented. its like a book rather than a mag. pictures are brilliant.

Clio 172 mk2
gazcaddy said:
LOL

Me personally thinks Autocar is the best car magazine, its alot more factual and unlike EVO doesnt have unrealistic storys about a 182 keeping up with M6

It never stated that it kept up with the M6 and they made it clear that that wasn't the issue at the beginning of that article.

Turbos.
EVO is quality, the front cover is, the photos are, the stories are. Who cares if its not 100% correct all the time, its the best read!

Likewise, who cares about the Trophy being slower. No doubt it is more involving than a VXR or Megane which in my eyes is far more important!

Clio 172 mk2
cliobuyer said:
EVO is quality, the front cover is, the photos are, the stories are. Who cares if its not 100% correct all the time, its the best read!

Likewise, who cares about the Trophy being slower. No doubt it is more involving than a VXR or Megane which in my eyes is far more important!

Agree..evo makes Top Gear Magazine seem tacky.

Trophy was only beaten my Ferrari and new Ford GT40 in evos supercar test which is pretty amazing considering how much the Renault costs in comparison to the others:D

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Has anyone else noticed how quick it stops compaired to the other cars.
Great brakes

ian

MINI JCW
ian 182 said:
Has anyone else noticed how quick it stops compaired to the other cars.
Great brakes

ian

they are very good, I once had to brake very sharply and if there wasnt a bit of grass at the side of the road then the car behind me would have run into the back of me because he was dead level with me by the time he had stopped!

Elise/VX220/R26
I love EVO, have subscribed for a couple of years now, the superb photography and (some) of the writing and articles they do are fantastic. I think a lot of stuff has to be taken with a pinch of salt, like that fast club article, what really is the point of pitting such unevely matched cars? You cant extract any reasonable comparisons out of any of the tests they did IMO the whole article was totally pointless really.