ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy banging

soon to be a 200
Just leaving of work went to pull out of the car park on left full lock and from the front end came a loud banging noise did it reverse as well sounded terminal so phoned my local dealer who said bring it in . Phoned the next day he said it did it in there yard so took it in and raised it up looked to see if the tyres were rubbing said he could see nothing wrong so test drove it again and nothing . I picked it up and it has not done it again . He said Renault call them ghost problems . Any one else had the same .

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Thats a really well documented fault mate. Do a search I think almost every 172/182 model has had it.

Trophy No. 440
I posted a question about this to the RenaultSport forum panel of experts quite a while ago. They reckon that it is the top of the strut catching the edge of the hole in the bodywork that the strut mount sits in. There is a mod that the dealers can do to fix it. The Trophy is no different than any other 172/182 in that the top of the strut sits in the same place regardless of the fact that the strut itself is different. The dealer mod involves grinding away some metal (i think). I've decided to just live with it on my Trophy. Your dealership should know all about this problem, its been going on for years.

Last edited:
  soon to be a 200
Thanks for that i don't think i like the sound of the grinding which leads to rust .

My 182 has started doing the exact same thing, only when its cold tho! Renault say my steering geometry is screwed (??) and the can't do anything until I get it sorted.
Does your Trophy do it all the time on full lock or just when its cold?

320d
Think i remember Lee on here saying he was taking his Trophy back in recently for a knocking noise

I'd say the common knocking noise on the renaultsports is the engine mounts