ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

trophy in evo

clio 172 cup
just got evo mag in the post very good read on the clio also some stuff on petrol! go buy it now

Lee

BMW M2C
I'd been waiting for this issue.:approve:

1st is the GT40, 2nd the F430.

You should see what the Trophy beats, never before has a hot hatch punched this far above it's weight. It's going to become a legend, and I reckon it's unlikely we'll see something like this happen ever again.

1. ford gt
2. f430
3. trophy
4. gallardo se
5. m3 cs
6. cayman s
7. v8 vantage
8. m6
9. slk55 amg
10. sagaris

got some serious machine around it

Yamaha R6
182_blue said:
1. ford gt
2. f430
3. trophy
4. gallardo se
5. m3 cs
6. cayman s
7. v8 vantage
8. m6
9. slk55 amg
10. sagaris

got some serious machine around it

whooooa.

MKIII 138
awesome. peeps should take the clio seriously now and to think i own a faster clio than that a cup !

hehe.

GTiR330 letstorquebhp.com
Well done to Renault to get 3rd, all the other cars around it are so far ahead in costs that the Clio is the real winner. I had come on here and praise it, love em, well done.

MINI JCW
Lets be honest the ranking is a joke, I have a 182 but if somebody offered me a M6 then I would snap their hand off

MKIII 138
gazcaddy said:
Lets be honest the ranking is a joke, I have a 182 but if somebody offered me a M6 then I would snap their hand off

this isnt a desirablility list you claxon its a performance car list, the trophy is a proper fun car with a driver feeling that the M6 would find hard to muster in terms of thrills, if your a car enthusiast and not a SuperHero showoff wanabe with a 6.0million liter v10 and a massive car that only really sits two people thats fine, but this is about how a car drives m8 its not about build, looks, image etc.. other wise trophy wouldnt be even in the top 100

MKIII 138
... just to prove...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106479

look at the skyline vs the old car in that (11mins onward). its clear technolnogy allows for a skyline to corner very very rapidly on any road surface and in comfort and ease it has way more power with the driver not really having to do much... boring ?? at little.. then look at the older car and the work excitement involved the guy is truly wired and on the edge its better than any fairground ride or comfy 500hp BMW perfectly sealed and safe with countless electronics controlling everything.

the clio trophy, williams, cup valvers etc..are simular to that old car skitish controlable and just FUN, the M6 as a modern day penis extension works fine with its loud noise and big bling rims, the clio is a car for enthusiasts who also like to feel the noise but maybe are sensible enough to realise many cheapers cars can deliver more fun than $$$$ exotica.. id have the trophy if money wasnt an object why waste it ??

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
They finished it up by saying
"what id say to anyone out there is,forget everything youve read about the 205gti and the mk2 golf and the clio williams.Just go and drive a trophy.Thats where the benchmark is"

good words

ian

Lee

BMW M2C
haha, I was just going to quote that. Excellent article. I know the Trophy is good, and lot of others know it's good, but I really wasn't expecting them to like it quite as much as they did. Some of them even scored it first out of all those cars.

I drove those roads back at the end of September, it's what the Trophy was made for.

Last edited:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Just read it again.Im really suprised how well it did against cars with a 300bhp advantage

ian

Got my issue this morning :)

Slightly off topic - is there such a handling performance margin between the 182 cup and the trophy. I.e could i justify going to the stealers and buying all the sachs necessaries???

Lets see if it makes it to car of the decade and beats the Williams. If so then that would be a good show but then again surly Renault given 10 years could beat perfection. (only kidding)
Superb car though maybe next year.
Bobbywhacker you cannot but the stuff it has part numbers but Renault cannnot get hold of then get some Leda coilovers they will be as good if not better (will depend where you are etc).

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Dont get coilovers unless you live on a track.It will destroy your car and it wont handle aswell as you think.My mate put coilovers on an Rs turbo and you could feel rabbit s**t on the road.The stuff on the trophy is designed over months and months for that car,the stuff in the deemon tweeks book is for anyone daft enough to buy them.
If you want it a bit more aggresive then leave the standard shocks on it and get some eibach springs,they seem to work very well with clio

ian

MINI JCW
meggerman said:
this isnt a desirablility list you claxon its a performance car list, the trophy is a proper fun car with a driver feeling that the M6 would find hard to muster in terms of thrills, if your a car enthusiast and not a SuperHero showoff wanabe with a 6.0million liter v10 and a massive car that only really sits two people thats fine, but this is about how a car drives m8 its not about build, looks, image etc.. other wise trophy wouldnt be even in the top 100

so you are saying along with Evo magazine that a 182 is a better performance car than a BMW M6?

Dont make me laugh

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
That may be true of cheaper units, but when you're spending £1k+ you will not suffer.

ian 182 said:
Dont get coilovers unless you live on a track.It will destroy your car and it wont handle aswell as you think.My mate put coilovers on an Rs turbo and you could feel rabbit sh*t on the road.The stuff on the trophy is designed over months and months for that car,the stuff in the deemon tweeks book is for anyone daft enough to buy them.
If you want it a bit more aggresive then leave the standard shocks on it and get some eibach springs,they seem to work very well with clio

ian

I recently sold a 9 month old Lotus Exige to buy a Trophy, and while my mates all think I'm crazy, I prefer the Trophy in almost every area. I really don't care that it cost half as much, as it is just as much fun and twice as easy to live with. (Plus you're not stared at by everyone when you drive down the street.) Seeing this tread really backs up my decision, and I can say that for all of us with Clio Renault Sports, be they 172s, 182s, Cups or Trophy variants, we are really lucky to know a good thing when we drive it.

Have fun, because that's what it's really all about.

-robert

clio 172 cup
they are not saying its a better car they are saying its better to drive and more fun than the rest

rob172cup said:
they are not saying its a better car they are saying its better to drive and more fun than the rest

Exactly. Some people are blinded by performance figures.

Considering the condition of roads here in the UK and volume of traffic on them, the chances are even if out on a country blast, the Clio should offer almost as much power as you are really going to need. I read an article once about a Clio and some supercar out on country roads, at the speeds they could realistically reach the Clio driver was having the time of his life, on the limit and fighting and hustling the Clio around the bends, whilst the supercar driver was hardly utilising any power at all and was pretty bored.

Thats why I love it, I can drive out on some great roads, stay at speeds where my license isn't remotely at risk and still have a great time. I bet 95% of Renaultsport drivers don't utilise every inch of capability out of the machine, yet clearly many feel the need to upgrade to something even more powerful if they could.

ukaskew said:
whilst the supercar driver was hardly utilising any power at all and was pretty bored.

I doubt any supercar driver is "bored" lol....plus its all about money really isn;t it, if I had enough money to buy a new supercar, then a new supercar I would get....
let me think, a Lambo or a clio.....ermmm lambo I reckon ;) :)

Simon

Trophy 265/500
Fun car is it in a nutshell. When we leave the house to go to work of a morning, my other half and I have the same tough choice each day:

a) My Trophy
b) Other half's Mk 2 16v GTI (minor mods, brake upgrade, slightly stiffer shocks, full exhaust refit, BBS alloys etc, but no godless blinginess like another Golf we sometimes see)

The twisties we go round to get to work are fun whichever we go for, and we get to wreck Boxters either way ;)

Who cares if a car can do 220mph on a track? You're going to be using it on the road most of the time, so buy one that's fun there.