ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy modifications argument...

Lux'd Glacier White R26
All,

Those of you who have been members for a while will remember this girl, and thread:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128253

I didn't believe that she owned a Trophy at first, but in fact, she actually does! She has recently joined my company, and drives her Trophy everyday.

Anyway, i have asked if she will modify her Trophy, and she says she wont because its a limited edition Clio and will lower the sale price. I've dissagreed as long as the mods are tactful, and dont change the overall look of the car.

I've suggested silvervisions all round - She said no.
Uprated brakes and hoses - She said no.
Maxogen - She said no.
Any engine modifications - She said no.
Exhaust - She said no.

Anyway, you get the picture. How far have people gone with their Trophy's and is it deemed acceptable to actually modify a limited edition Clio?

Thoughts?

Tyson.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
This arguemnt could go on for ever, there is no answer it is all opinion.

Should Martin be Hung for stripping and gutting a williams?

Some will say yes.. others will say he took one of the greatest road cars and made it an even better because he didn't have to work within the constrainsts of Renault when they were designing it.

LY V6 with Recaros
Nothing wrong with putting some silvervisions in it though is there, it's hardly a proper mod, can easily be reversed if she wanted to sell!

She's fit :rasp:

IMO it is acceptable to modify a Trophy as long as it is tastefull i.e. not like that one with silver sidestrips, tactfull as in some subtle mechanical mods i.e. not a turbo, and not stupid i.e. 'upgrading' the suspension!

Lee

BMW M2C
I spoke to Ruth the other day. Nice girl. Came to a few meets and came to see me on track at Donington.

Mine has got silvervisions and a Civic aerial. Other than that there's nothing else I'll be changing, although I may do the brakes as the standard ones don't last too long when getting a pounding on track and mine gets that quite often.

Clio 200 FF Cupped
Won't be modding my Trophy, just like to keep things standard. Not boring, just happy with things as Renault intended them.

Also, whilst it might not lower the sale price to a like minded enthusiast, mods certainly put off the majority of buyers!

Modifications are down to personal preference, and anything that's changed to fit someones personal preference isn't as saleable as something thats as it was when it left the factory.

Why do you think a lot of ads have 'NEVER MODIFIED' in the descriptions, it's clearly a good thing to most people looking to buy a car... Even modders themselves usually want to do things their way...

milfordkong said:
Won't be modding my Trophy, just like to keep things standard. Not boring, just happy with things as Renault intended them.

Also, whilst it might not lower the sale price to a like minded enthusiast, mods certainly put off the majority of buyers!

Modifications are down to personal preference, and anything that's changed to fit someones personal preference isn't as saleable as something thats as it was when it left the factory.

Why do you think a lot of ads have 'NEVER MODIFIED' in the descriptions, it's clearly a good thing to most people looking to buy a car... Even modders themselves usually want to do things their way...

Good point. When I was looking for my car I steered clear of any that were modified. Partly because I did'nt know as much about modding RS's as I do know however. If I was looking now I prob would consider a non-standard car.

Turbos.
As long as it's reversible, i don't see the problem. No naff bodykit bits or such like though...

Trust Lee to get chatting with the fitty!

Lee

BMW M2C
cliobuyer said:
As long as it's reversible, i don't see the problem. No naff bodykit bits or such like though...

Trust Lee to get chatting with the fitty!

No one would believe she was real or that she owned a Trophy, so she came along to a track day I was doing to say hello and have some lunch. She's lovely.

The Trophy on the right is Ruths: http://www.rapidpants.com/images/gallery/motors/2006/dp180306/dp_063.jpg

You can't really see her though, she's the one by the yellow van at the front of the car.

Fair play - I do remember that thread, you can't blame people for being sceptical (me included)

As for modding - if it's reversible then fair enough, but end the end the day its thier car -they can do what they like to it.

Maz

LY 200
^^ she aint old and she aint a bint .. lol

Ruth is a really nice girl, met her at a mids meet, if your reading this Ruth, hi hun :) xx

A silver Honda
Damn, she's a hottie;)

A Trophy is a lovely car as standard and doesn't need any mods really.

ours has uprated brakes (necessary if, as Lee says, you do many track days) and an exhaust - just gives it a bit more "noise" as in standard form it is a bit quiet, especially on track, it sort of "hums" past!!! :eek: have also put harnesses in, can be taken out of course if required.
standard exhaust is in the garage and can go back on of course if that's what someone wanted.

the mods we did were specifically because it was bought for track only when we still had the Vee - I use it daily at the moment.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

If you want to be able to upgrade certain bits then go for it.

Plus those dampers won't last forever acording to Bernard Olivier the CEO of Renault Sport...

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
This is interesting, especially because I used to own a 106 Rallye, which is also a limited edition car.

Externally and visually I wouldn't do anything at all.
In my experience the 106 Rallyes for sale with standard wheels/decals would always get attention, whereas ones without standard wheels/decals would get slated - so with the Trophy I'm sure it'll be the same case.

It's inevitable that in time parts will wear out and need replacing.
I wouldn't see any problems, for example, if when replacing brake parts one were to uprate them slightly. Perhaps an exhaust would be okay too if it wasn't too chavvy and the original was retained for sale time.

Personally I like to spend money on servicing, maintenance, and detailing.

Nissan 350Z
I don't see what all the fuss is about.

If you want to be able to upgrade certain bits then go for it.

Plus those dampers won't last forever acording to Bernard Olivier the CEO of Renault Sport...

Not sure i'd want a trophy once the dampers had worn out.... *HUGE* bill!

clio 200 F4Rt
i beleive the Trophy is the cream of the crop with the 182's and should therefore only use the best mods on it.

no dodgy custom exhausts etc, just the use of top quality items to extract a little more performance from it.

but like all walks in life, some people's idea of good mods differ vastly from others.

M

M7CUO_V6

I would probably cahange to a slightly louder exhaust, maybe a pannel fillter and silvervisions.

Would like it looking lower, propably wouldn't because chances are it would compromise on the handling, and that'd be the main reason id buy the car.

Anyone put lowering springs on their Trophy?

Last edited by a moderator:
  v6 mk2
matt over on cliotrophy had had custom springs made by Mark Fish, lowered the car 10mm front and back. Thats the only slight issue i have with the trophy is it could do with being a touch lower.

matt over on cliotrophy had had custom springs made by Mark Fish, lowered the car 10mm front and back. Thats the only slight issue i have with the trophy is it could do with being a touch lower.

That seems bonkers to me. Renault blatantly spent alot of time perfecting the Trophy's handling;which the trick dampers play a big part. Why take them off (if they're still working fine) just for the sake of making the car lower. You may as well but a normal inferno 182 and mod that with coilovers, turinis, and recaros

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
This arguemnt could go on for ever, there is no answer it is all opinion.

Should Martin be Hung for stripping and gutting a williams?

Some will say yes.. others will say he took one of the greatest road cars and made it an even better because he didn't have to work within the constrainsts of Renault when they were designing it.

some1 stripped and gutted a williams?:mad: they shud b gutted themselves!

Nissan 350Z

That seems bonkers to me. Renault blatantly spent alot of time perfecting the Trophy's handling;which the trick dampers play a big part. Why take them off (if they're still working fine) just for the sake of making the car lower. You may as well but a normal inferno 182 and mod that with coilovers, turinis, and recaros

Who said anything about taking the dampers off?

Who said anything about taking the dampers off?

I was thinking the same thing really. You don't need to change the strut/damper assembly just to fit new springs.

M

M7CUO_V6

^^^defo looks better dropped a tad. Why's he get um specially made? Can you not buy similar off shelf?

^^^defo looks better dropped a tad. Why's he get um specially made? Can you not buy similar off shelf?

You can buy off the shelf spax springs especially made for the Trophy which drops 20mm.

It all started with me going to Mark Fish Motorsport to have my brakes upgraded and my camber adjusted. Mark was very impressed with the Trophy when he test drove it, but thought it could benefit with a slighlty stiffer spring set-up.

So a few weeks later I returned and we tested a few spring set-ups. Mark was very good and said that if I didn't like it I didn't have to pay and he would put my std springs back on.

M

M7CUO_V6

So what did you think, is is still as agile over our crappy country roads? (crappy as in rutty and unsmooth!:) )

Would you say 20mm is taking it to far?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i'd love to have a trophy, but didnt want to as it was too high, and didnt want to mess with the set up..... but lowering springs hey???? :evil:

MKIII 138
on the track a 182cup is faster a trophy is faster on the road. the probo with the trophy is it rides too high imo.

id wager LEDA or H&R on any 182 would be equal if not better

Clio 172 mk2
i beleive the Trophy is the cream of the crop with the 182's and should therefore only use the best mods on it.

no dodgy custom exhausts etc, just the use of top quality items to extract a little more performance from it.

but like all walks in life, some people's idea of good mods differ vastly from others.

Have to agree...great car, be a shame to ruin it with sub standard modifications