ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Project 40/500

thank you appreciate the info :)

i was informed by a usually reliable source which tube to order
after it costing twice as much as 40mm i then struggled to find someone to bend it
to now be told its extremely heavy :(
to be honest im a tad gutted
i will take those tube sizes to my supplier on monday and order some more :)

Martin, mine's 40x2 T-45

Wouldn't you be better off buying a ready built 306 cage, and then weld in the additional bracing where required?
You should be able to get one in kit form if nothing else. You can get an OMP one for under 400 delivered ready to weld or bolt in.

You've been advised those sizes due to msa spec, but where there is already an approved cage it may use smaller guage, like the westy and caterham cage for instance.

Chris

Last edited:

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
Love the fabrication work!! It'll be interesting watching it all go back together? Top work.

i think i'll see what martin says next week seeing as there's almost £400 tied up in it already :(
i'll not spam your thread any more chap
keep up the good work :)

Martin, mine's 40x2 T-45

Wouldn't you be better off buying a ready built 306 cage, and then weld in the additional bracing where required?
You should be able to get one in kit form if nothing else. You can get an OMP one for under 400 delivered ready to weld or bolt in.

You've been advised those sizes due to msa spec, but where there is already an approved cage it may use smaller guage, like the westy and caterham cage for instance.

Chris

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Can i ask why you have seam welded the car and not stich welded like what is normally done on race cars?

looking at the pics. has it had a o/s quater panel on in its life?

Yeah that was the reason for being cat d, along with a lightly damaged opposite front corner, one good thing about the dip is being able to see the quality of repairs.

Strange thing this cat D lark, as the car is now in better condition structually than when it left Dieppe.
Still it's never going to be a desireable road car ever again, track/race car maybe, but not a road car.

Chris

Woznaldo

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault 5 GT Turbo
Most manufacturers use a number of spot welds to assembly their body shells. This leaves gaps where there is no weld so, by welding the full seam, the separate panels have a stronger more rigid connection.

Quick update ;)

This week has seen the shell delivered back to the dippers and the damper order almost cancelled due to yet more delays, But due to an even better discount on the dampers and an email to say they're ready for despatch, i'm going ahead with the AST's

Other than that i've given the front calipers a clean and coat of paint :D

Calipers%20cleaned.jpg

Pad%20Carrier%20cleaned.jpg

Caliper%20and%20Carrier%20painted.jpg

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Just read through this thread and its absolutely fantastic what you're doing.

I think that should you should paint it red again just for prosperity. Although I don't really care that it isn't a trophy anymore I'm just not that big a fan of white cars.

Good job! :D

Qashcow
have been keeping an eye on this thread, very interesting read. the rebuild is the part i like, its when it starts getting interesting.

really off topic, do you have a white BMW 3 series with private plate?

182cup & 172 racecar
Chris,how do you get the bloomin doors off,is a special tool req?I need to the doors off asap.
Cheers Tony.

RB 182 Cup
On mine I undid the door pin bolts (T30 iirc) and then hammered them out using a claw shaped tool.

Tony, there's just one bolt to undo on the shell, it's on the bracket to stop the door opening too much, and then remove the clips of the door pins and drive the pins out, be careful though as the door with glass etc weighs close to 30kg's, catching it while holding a punch and and an hammer can be tricky if your on your own ;)

Chris

182cup & 172 racecar
Okay I will give that a try tomorrow,I cannot see any little clips that go around the pins that's what confused me.

Cheers Tony

The dampers have finally arrived, and that's not all :D I also got a call to say the shell's ready to be collected, so Monday i'll be picking it up from Birmingham and dropping off at the bodyshop, so if things go to plan it should be white and back in my garage by sometime the week after next :D

I'll get some pictures when i collect it, but for now here's a few of the AST Sportline II dampers

AST%20Dampers.jpg

Front%20Dampers.jpg

Rear%20Dampers%202.jpg

Subaru%20Top%20Mounts.jpg

loveing the AST's but th PSS10's would have suited this project better IMO as your doing everything else with so much detail

loveing the AST's but th PSS10's would have suited this project better IMO as your doing everything else with so much detail

I agree Pss10's would have probably been the better choice, but due to the discount i managed to get on these, the pss10's would also have been £1500 more :eek::eek:

Chris

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Chris... Those look expensive.. Will you manage to get it on your drive with those beasts on!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
mmmm....they look good and expensive! where in birmingham did you get the shell done?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
ah over in dudley? can you pm me a price if you don't wanna list it here. i want some too!

give me a call on sunday fella, i might be able to do your engine on monday if that would help you out?

Cheers Fred, i'll be in a rush on monday otherwise i would have taken you up on that offer, if you can do it thursday/friday next week let me know. Infact i should see you at Oulton on Tuesday shouldn't I, we can sort out a suitable time then.

Chris

White Sti Hatch
This thread is full of WIN !

will be keeping an eye on this !

Did you clean the Calipers in the same way you did the Hubs ??

Yeah cleaned the calipers the same way, i removed the piston but it i didn't need to, as the solution does no harm to rubber, so you could put them in complete, for peace of mind though if i did then i'd replace the seal anyway.

Get yourself a bucket a piece of steel a bag of soda crystals and battery charger, then have a go, once you've seen how effective it is, you'll cleaning anything in site that's rusty.

Chris

White Sti Hatch
Cheers mate, few bit in the Bay of the Ek9 that need a clean so will give this a go once i get it off the road !