ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Review

A red missile

In the Daily Mail of all places this time, now i never read the daily outrage but some tw*t came up to me at work this morning going oh dear your cars sh*t look at this. Now the offending journalistic arsehole is one Michael Hanlon.

Big headline Clio: what a carry-on, then the good stuff The engine is a screamer - but not always, mentions the power and the 1050 kilo weight. Then he describes the car as a shopping trolley - and this is still the good bits!!!

Then he states that he doesnt have the skill to exploit the cars capabilities - fair enough except he then goes into 10 paragraph rant about what he doesnt like about the car and says This car simply wasnt that fast!!!

Then the car develops a mis-fire and eventually breaks down which he mentions near the end of the article was down to a faulty water temperature sensor - its no f**king wonder the thing wasnt performing like it should then - c**t.

Now correct me if im wrong but if you review cars for a living then actually being a decent driver would help a bit?? The two paragraphs that made me want to extract this tw*ts liver with a sh*t covered axe went thus :-

OK, the ugly. Something felt not quite right about my Clio. It pulled like a train from the off, but then change up and.... nothing. There seemed to be a flat spot at around 4,000 rpm.

I put it down to a peaky (eh??) engine and a lack of talent for matching ratio and revs on my part. But the truth is that once I spun the engine up it seemed to run out of puff. This car simply wasnt that fast.

Now the car had a problem with a sensor, so why not mention that fact BEFORE talking absolute b****cks about the cars performance, and a flat spot at around 4,000rpm?? could have fooled me? This guy is a prize tw*t!!!! Oh and heres another one you younger guys will love, he describes the car as looking cheeky and having attitude. Quote - The boys on the Southend seafront will love these. Thankfully, at group 17D, they wont be able to afford the insurance - arrogant f**ker.

So im going to contact the Daily Outrage and protest loudly and offer said Mr Hanlon the chance to be my passenger round a track - and if he takes me up on that one hell regret it, ill have the gimpy looking tw*t dropping bricks.:mad:

Clio Trophy 079/500

See thats what you get from the Daily Mail. Now the Sport or the Star, they would love the clio. Have a couple of birds with their thrupney bits flopped over the bonnet. Sweet.

The insurance is wierd, both the CTR and the Trophy are 17D, but i can get the trophy for 400 squid less fully comp.

The Daily Mail chap probably got the car after the EVO boys had ragged the nuts out of it. LOL

[Edited by Ducks Butt on 13 August 2005 at 2:46pm]

VaVa

Regardless of what colour you paint it, what suspension you put on it, its till a Renault Clio when all is said and done. its not the best thing on the road, it wont be liked by everyone and sure as eggs is eggs something on it will break!!!

Dont take it to heart. Its the opinion/experiences of one guy. If you like i, why should you give a f**k what others think.

Clio Trophy 079/500

Na i checked with Direct Line, its the Trophy for sure. I can only think that parts are cheaper for the Clio, etc...

Still i cant complain, money i save i can take it to the ring. WOOOHOOO. Just got to find out how to get there. ha.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I read that report in the paper today and dont see a problem with it.He had a dodgy car and reported on his experiences,its refreshing in some ways to read a mini review from somebody who admits the car is better than his driving abilities.Lets face it,most average drivers wont/cant use performance cars to their limits anyway so you dont have to be a super dooper driver to be able to report on how good/bad you think a car is.

As with all reviews,its one mans opinions be it a good or bad review.

After reading the review he had every right to complain,or should he of lied and gone on about how great his day with the car was ?

It missfired,and he mentioned he had to dismantle the lock and use the emergancy key to get in because of a locking problem and he also mentioned he only reviewed the Trophy in the first place because the Megane Scenic he was supposed to of been testing had broken down anyway !!!

I think based on his experiences he has every right to say how crap Renaults are in his opinion.

It amazes me how Renault allow this to happen,surely they should be bending over backwards to make sure press cars at least work !

The review didnt say the Trophy was bad a such but having two Renaults break down isnt good!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

The trophy isnt the best car in the world... deal with it lol!

Clios are cheap and to be honest suck, but when they work yes they are fun, but look at the real picture folks........

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 13 August 2005
The trophy isnt the best car in the world... deal with it lol!Clios are cheap and to be honest suck, but when they work yes they are fun, but look at the real picture folks........

gayboy, thats the best thing youve ever said, well done, 5 gold stars for you!!!!!!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 14 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Little Newms on 13 August 2005

The trophy isnt the best car in the world... deal with it lol!

Clios are cheap and to be honest suck, but when they work yes they are fun, but look at the real picture folks........

gayboy, thats the best thing youve ever said, well done, 5 gold stars for you!!!!!!
Only 5? U gay!!!!!

I think its nothing short of shocking that Renualt STILL have the temp sensor issue and choose to do nothing about it. Theyve obviously calculated that it will cost more to resolve than what theyre paying out for warranty fixes.

Ive no doubt the Trophy is a superb machine, but if this press car sufferes from a well known fault thats been affecting 182s since the dawn of time, then it deserves a good slating for it IMO. Lee had this problem with his Trophy - I had it with my Cup, as have many others. Its a disgrace frankly.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Shock horror, the Trophy gets a bad press review, come on its only one of few, deal with it, they cant all like it, most of the reviews are good.

Sounds like the cherry picked engine didnt do it any good either!

What was the point in the article? If the car has faults then YES u mention them but then u get them fixed and give a proper review... not just leave it. Pure crap.

106 GTi

Seems like the sensor problem has finally bitten then, it has been a known problem for ages but never ever sorted out at the factory, serves them right.

Yaris Hybrid

Yeah I had a sensor problem on my car and not many people here have had nothing go wrong.

Mine broke down before it had even been delivered and not including that incident went into the dealers twice in the first few months after I had bought it for the same fault.

Granted we get discounts but this is a car with a £15k RRP. A £15k car that at a month old I had to stick an old cut up piece of inner tube into an engine mount to stop it knocking because dumb ass Renault hadnt found a fix for that fault in 4 years.

Now bear in mind I had a £250 Pug 205 for 4 months whilst the 182 was being built and NOTHING went wrong with it and before that I had a second hand Vectra which cost me £8k for 18 months and NOTHING went wrong with it. From that point of view you have to say the 182 is rubbish.

I think most people here agree that its great when it works but not so great that you can tolerate all the problems. Renault have finally been caught out as it was only a matter of time before one of their press cars came a cropper.

Worse of all is the fact these are just stupid niggling faults that wouldnt cost them anything to fix at the factory. One can only assume that Renault ignore feedback from customers and dealers.

A red missile

Quote: Originally posted by edgerfs on 14 August 2005

What was the point in the article? If the car has faults then YES u mention them but then u get them fixed and give a proper review... not just leave it. Pure crap.
Thats my point and main source of annoyance really, ffs if he knew the thing had a problem why not just take it back to Renault and moan like buggery rather than drive a deffective car and claim it aint fast etc. And yes im well aware that the trophy aint the best car in the world as has been pointed out, one point i will concede was well made by lagerlout1, if i like the car - and i do, a lot who gives a f**k what anyone else thinks anyway - fair point fella.

Yaris Hybrid

You have to remember that these journalists get to drive proper fast cars so the Trophy will seem pretty slow compared to what they have driven recently.

Their viewpoint of it will be different to that of most people here for whom it is the quickest vehicle they have ever driven. On top of that because the actual owners paid for the car they get the "wow its quick for the price" effect especially when they race more expensive cars. A journalist doesnt pay for the demo car and I doubt they will be out on an evening seeing who is out for a race.

If the journalist is doing something wrong it is not rating the car with the type of people that would consider buying it in mind. In that sense you cant really compare it with cars like the new Golf GTI but more the likes of the C2 VTS.