ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

True bhp figures?

Titanium 182
I had a read of this months performance french car earlier, and noticed that the 182 they used on the rollers was only producing 153.8bhp at the flywheel before the remap. For some reason I thought a 182 would produce 182 at the flywheel, but now ive seen other rr results and see that the majority make around 150ish. Is this right or have I got it wrong somehow?

Lionel Richie
performance french car - "yeah pull out the abs fuse, makes the brakes so much better"

as if they printed that as advice! :nono:

Dont they normally make circa 140-150 at the wheels? IIRC normal fly is around 175bhp.

TBH it all means the sum total of squat. Drive it well around a track, and people might be shocked when you tell them it only has '180'. Don't get too hooked up on the figures. Rinse it around a track and realise that the figures don't mean s**t as long you're having fun :)

the performance output of the f4r engine varies alot. i've had two 172's now and when standard one made 156bhp and the other 164bhp

different rr's also give different readings, at the wheels figures is what matters

Renaultsport 220T
hopefully not advising to remove the sodding ABS fuse! i'll f**king shoot him if he said that!

He says in conclusion... " I put 60,000 miles on a 172 cup and I could trash it and the next day get 40mpg on the motorway"

I thought he got you to do all his motorway driving Fred?
;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Far too many variables on getting a true BHP figure.

From what ive seen they are pretty consistent across the range, with so many people changing exhausts/remaps/camshafts and so on its difficult to gauge as and when engines loosten up etc

Ph1
Thought the figures were all based on PS not BHP? EG, 172 PS, 182 PS ??

From reading up, average 172 seems to sit about 168 bhp and the 182's 175's

Black Clio 182
ive got a reading for my 182 of 195bhp. its had full exhaust system and decat, panel filer and a remap. seems a little high to me but got the graph at home.

Clio 182
ive got a reading for my 182 of 195bhp. its had full exhaust system and decat, panel filer and a remap. seems a little high to me but got the graph at home.

My 156ATW was estimated as 191 to the flywheel so 195 for you is feasible.
I have the matched manifold but you have exhaust and decat so I would expect your power to be a bit higher than mine.

White clique
Thought the figures were all based on PS not BHP? EG, 172 PS, 182 PS ??

From reading up, average 172 seems to sit about 168 bhp and the 182's 175's

yeah this is the case. My 197 made 189.9 standard. BHP fig is 194.

We had a rolling road day a few months back, and a majority of the 172 and 182 had mods of sorts, even if its was just a panel filter, and they were making anywhere between 154 and 186.

rps13
atw a healthy one is 145-155 no?

WHP figures are what we should use for comparison from car to car really

you could just pull a 50% transmission loss out of the air and say you have 300 horsepower

53 Clio's & counting
^^^ agree there, mines on 127,000 miles and has 141 bhp @ the wheels on a std engine bar an exhaust

Clio 197 08
Lol, 158 at the fly i would be taking it back to Renault me thinks with the printout in hand and a sword in the other!