ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tuning 172

I am thinking of tuning my 172 by adding a performance exhaust, induction kit and an ECU.

For anyone who has had this done, or anything similar, how much difference do you notice? eg: how much are your 0-60, 0-100 times improved?

Also, where is the best place to go to have this done. I have heard bad reviews on LAD, although hillpower sounds ok, any advice??

172, Tiguan

Dave if you use that search button you see youll get about half a million reply results.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive done the following to my 172

decat - revs slightly easier, slightly better acceleration at high revs

catback 63mm system with 2 boxes - even better acceleration and free-er revving

SMT6 piggyback ECU - gained 17lb.ft @ 1500rpm and no less than 7lb.ft throughout the rev range. Gained about 5hp extra throughout the rev range.

Overall the car is much nicer to drive, and more responsive. Im still deciding what to do about the induction, either get a replacement filter or get a BMC CDA

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

ps...my mods were done in the order above so by far the chip gave the biggest gains (well I can really feel that low down torque)

Maybe speak to Andy from GDI (search on here for him) as hes done some very good work on the 172, including piper cams...Can you say 172 with 170 lb.ft

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

i think the last one was 180 ft lbs.... was really supprisingly good... did not want to give it back to the customer..

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

made it up.. (read a magazine etc)... LOL

ah no.... was it 181 bhp and lower torque... have to check data later when I am less tired....

it was the one I posted about ages ago with the SMT and cams... its all here somewhere..

Andy

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I think it was 181bhp and 170lbft and that was just by adjusting fueling

That was chip and cams, but not decat

God I wish I could get those figures on my Clio but the cams are a bit of a problem out here...

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 25 May 2004

made it up.. (read a magazine etc)... LOL

ah no.... was it 181 bhp and lower torque... have to check data later when I am less tired....

it was the one I posted about ages ago with the SMT and cams... its all here somewhere..

Andy
ok ill probably contact you for a bit of info closer to the time. soon as my warranty expires im going to rip my engine apart and chuck some money at it.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

sounds positive eh...im off to GDI early july for head n cams remap etc on my 172, when does ur warranty run out jay? unless u get a bad egg warranty isnt upto much i didnt think, wot could go wrong to a new car in 3yrs? {cue something to fall off now} :oops: