ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tunning a 172

tunning a 172, what should you do , some people say , yes tune it
induction kit exhaust, other people sat leave em standard
should you a tune a 172, i have been looking at the pros and cons
some people report power loss, any out there who can change my mind

Skoda Fabia vRS

get yourself a Viper/BMC.......K-Tec exhaust system.......and a chip to suit and you can come close to 190bhp...

if your 172 is a mark 2 (jul 2001 >) you cant decat as the cat has 2 lambda sensors either side of it. On BMC/Viper Exhaust and chip you will spend between £700 and £1k and if done properly you will gain max 10 bhp. which means your standard 172, usually pulling 165-70 or so will be somewhere around 175-180 max. No way whatsoever you will hit 190 unless your car pushed 180 in the first place which is a bit unlikely. The car will sound much better though..

General rule of thumb you will then spend £1k per extra 10hp after that up to 220 bhp or so.

Some people on the forum working on custom head/cams and should have report soon, probably good for 15hp or so. Others also working on throttle bodies, good for 20-30 bhp and £2-3k

Philip pretty much summed it up apart form the headwork gains which i will have to see to believe.

You cant decat no, but you CANT get hold of the more efficient MK1 172 cats which has twin catalysts as it doesnt have to comply with the EURO3 emissions laws.

It doesnt have a 2nd lambda boss, bust just drill a hole and weld a nut on.

an exhaust doesnt do much, after about 7 power runs in diff specs with 2 diff exhaust systems we gained no more than 2bhp.

Why dont you just take out some of the sh*t if you want it to go faster. Spare wheel (18 kg). Back seats (15 kg). Jack and tools (10 kg). If u dont have kids why have back seats. Rip em out and get some carpet down. Join the RAC and if you get a puncture get the man to fix it. Saving - 43 kg. Run with only a tenner of fuel you save another 30 odd kg. total saving around 75 kg. Youve spent nothing and got equivalent to 10 BHP (by my calculation based on BHP per kg).

Niiiiiiiiiiiice

spare wheel is gone i got the clio cup alloys on a mk1 172
so there the 18kg gone for a start
it just i have read about people sticking induction kits on the 172 and i does f**k all
i think a read a thread the other day 172vs 172
and some said they not going to mod there 172 after racing a 172 that had mods and the performance was slack

it all seems strange to me, i thought by modding a car the performance
would be increased

:confused: