ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo Clio and fuel pumps?

late 2003 172cup
I have removed my swirl pot/pump/filter from my car so it dont stink. I just don't need it. (Prob for sale?)
Anyway I have issues, the pump in tank is noisey? Prob normal?? Uprated one in tank from evo. (Rated 500bhp) and if I am lower than 1/4 tank I am not getting the fuel .
Anyone want to shed some light on this issue? Causes? I have a return fitted into top. Is it standard swirl pot too small? Cracked maybe?

Thanks in advance guys

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
What you have removed may be needed, hi boost clios suffer fuel starvation when cornering, more so on track though.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Sounds like someone has modified your original unit to work with the external set up.

Has the sender unit still got the OE hoses between the pump outlet,back into the base, then from the base to the sender unit outlet.

Or are you just using a hose running from the top of the pump straight to the sender unit outlet, bypassing the small chamber that houses the internal for, then a for on the fuel rail?

late 2003 172cup
Sounds like someone has modified your original unit to work with the external set up.

Has the sender unit still got the OE hoses between the pump outlet,back into the base, then from the base to the sender unit outlet.

Or are you just using a hose running from the top of the pump straight to the sender unit outlet, bypassing the small chamber that houses the internal for, then a for on the fuel rail?

I did not do the car, but from what I can make out, it had evo pump placed in tank, and a return feed. Has megane ktr injectors and rail?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Has it got a PH1 sender unit? You can tell by the fuel return in the top of the sender unit. If it's moulded plastic it's a ph1 otherwise it'll have a retro fitted brass fitting if it's a modified ph2

HBT 172 Cup
The return needs to funnel straight back down the side of the fuel pump so it enters backs mini swiril pot, lots of people drill the top of the pump housing and the fuel return just sprays randomly back into the tank (which doesnt work to well). With the first mentioned method i could get the tank pretty low and not get any surge issues.

EDIT: i achevied the above by using a pneumatic push type bulkhead fitting (with sealing washers and fuel resistant glue) and using 6mm nylon pipe inside the tank to jet the fuel directly where it needs to go.

Last edited:
  Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I've just drilled the top for my return back to tank but I've got a swirl pot. Plus my in tank pump is direct feeding out of the top of the sender.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As Laine says if you have a big pump emptying the swirl pot and the return isnt correctly refilling it you can easily end up short on fuel inside the swirl pot itself when the tank gets low as its getting emptied quicker than its getting filled.

late 2003 172cup
Yeah it has a return fitted in top. Metal fitting. Not plastic. I would get a picture but I broke the car yesterday and it's gone to my brothers. Lost all drive? Drive shafts are fine. Could be clutch? Worst could be my helical diff? But that has warranty

late 2003 172cup
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408290768.328229.jpg
We are not sure it has one?? Here is one end

late 2003 172cup
Now gutted as I have had it off the road for few month because if a oil return pipe leaking. Fixed and back on the road yesterday. Jesus I forgot how quick it was lol. Been using a Saxo vtr as my run around

late 2003 172cup
I know mate. I did not install it to start with. I could not find anyone to deal with proper pipes. Not with what I wanted to pay. Lol