ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turbo kits

renault sport clio 172
hiya can anyone help me?
i am looking for a turbo kit for my clio 172 and can only find them on k-tec racing web site, £6000 seems expensive... anyone no were else i can look???

thanks for yor help

Scirocco GT 210
hiya can anyone help me?
i am looking for a turbo kit for my clio 172 and can only find them on k-tec racing web site, £6000 seems expensive... anyone no were else i can look???

thanks for yor help

Any turbo conversion is going to be pricey as you also need major engine work, or else the engine won't take a turbo, it'll just go BOOOOM. :eek: Running a turbo on a standard RS clio engine won't be reliable in the slightest.

The turbo kit, major engine strengthening and labour all add up, hence the high price.

good news fella, there's a new turbo kit (low pressure) from holland (i think) and its about £2700. They were discussed on here recently. I think fred said something about testing them at the ring soon...

LOL

Nooooo, I meant that yozza drives like he stole it and his hair's on fire - therefore if it's yozza-proof, it should be normal-person-proof :p

Lionel Richie
note this is NOT our kit, we do not sell it (yet)

we're simply meeting up with the guys to see what the kit is like

80MPG BEEZA
i think if its worth getting a small boost conversion then its worth going for a full conversion with strengthened components if you have the cash that is

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Should be interesting to hear the reports Fred...

Being half the price should make a great buy if it's as good as it looks...

80MPG BEEZA
isnt that low boost running 7 psi im sure k-tecs stage one runs 9 psi?

and thats without uprating any internals

FF-Cupped 182 '05
Yes, that setup is 7psi (0,5 bar) from 2000rpm on. Should be a nice kit for the money, the package also contains a Forge open dumpvalve ;) , tssshhh..

80MPG BEEZA
i think stage one is 9 psi and if you go for forged rods they run around 12 psi?

maybe one of the turbo owners could clarify it?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
i think if its worth getting a small boost conversion then its worth going for a full conversion with strengthened components if you have the cash that is

lol of course if you have the cash it's worth uprating the internals, but when this kit costs circa 2.5k and the kits with uprated internals are at least double that it's a whole lot more :)

Personally if a kit on a standard engine (i.e. no cams) could bring it up to 210-220 bhp and not massivly effect the day to day running it'd be a good buy. I know it's not as 'traditional' as keeping the engine N/A with itbs, but it'll be cheaper.

80MPG BEEZA

lol of course if you have the cash it's worth uprating the internals, but when this kit costs circa 2.5k and the kits with uprated internals are at least double that it's a whole lot more :)

Personally if a kit on a standard engine (i.e. no cams) could bring it up to 210-220 bhp and not massivly effect the day to day running it'd be a good buy. I know it's not as 'traditional' as keeping the engine N/A with itbs, but it'll be cheaper.

i totally understand that hence once its all tested and their happy to sell it will be a good buy getting a good gain for the money and a cool sound when you change gear, im actually not sure what power the standard conrods can take as i recall it being pretty high anyways,

torque levels from the low boost conversion seem really good to but its the gearbox that has to take it on a standard clutch

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
The gearbox will be the weak link, but only if you drive like an idiot I reckon. Be a bit careful with it all and it should be fine.

R35 GTR
My gearbox has been used for 15k miles now since the conversion. Not sure what last owner drove like, but I treat it gently. Might get a few more miles out of it.

Clio 172 Cup
My gearbox has been used for 15k miles now since the conversion. Not sure what last owner drove like, but I treat it gently. Might get a few more miles out of it.

exactly all these tunning companies aren't using new uprated gearboxes and ther running big power hikes so i don see why you need a new gearbox to cope with 7 psi of boost

clio 182 turbo
geting a turbo conversion will put the biggest smile on your face you've ever worn, mines got a k-tec stage 2 conversion and is pushing out 309 bhp.......... as lego head would i'm sure agree the're awesome!:)

R35 GTR

exactly all these tunning companies aren't using new uprated gearboxes and ther running big power hikes so i don see why you need a new gearbox to cope with 7 psi of boost

I have 12.5 now and mine is still going ok, whines a bit in reverse, but bites hard and now i have changed the oil down changes slide in perfectly.

Always blip the throttle, up and down....

Should be looking at 240+ bhp on a 182 with a decat/non-restrictive exhaust I was told. But they are still testing with this particular setup.
You'll hit the det limit of the fuel the exhaust isn't a problem realy just up the boost the boost cannot be upped though since the fuel will det you can fiddle for a bit with mapping/fuel used/water injectro etc but you cannot get away with it forever.

Exactly.

Lionel Richie
but an engine doesn't NEED low comp bits and bobs

there's plenty of quite high comp ratio turbo engines out there

Clio 172 Cup
what would high comp pistons and low boost conversion be like

would it work or send me to A&E with buns and an insuranced claim for a burnt out clio

Lionel Richie
yes, as i say there's plenty of oe manufactuer engines out there running quite high comp ratio turbo engines

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
uprated conrods can be had for £450 and forged pistons can be had for £500!
what would you call low boost?im running 9psi 250bhp;)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd

I have 12.5 now and mine is still going ok, whines a bit in reverse, but bites hard and now i have changed the oil down changes slide in perfectly.

Always blip the throttle, up and down....
just out of interest how much bhp does it see for 12.5psi?
mines rrd at 9psi 250bhp

80MPG BEEZA
im sure k-tec run 12psi and revised ecu map, im sure they could put the psi up and the engine and turbo would handle around 400bhp its just the gearbox

RS RIP
Here's the link;

http://www.mbcarperformance.nl/cata...d6215&osCsid=9c1bb1831eea42ae273b431fcf0dfc77

Should be looking at 240+ bhp on a 182 with a decat/non-restrictive exhaust I was told. But they are still testing with this particular setup.

Didn't know the gearbox and internals of the engine could cope with such an increase in power/torque:eek: , but they seem to prove otherwise.

I'm wondering about the gearbox too.. They're most confident in it's reliability. Soon it's going to have a good thrash-test at the Ring, giving it a proper beating . If they're satisfied i'm thinking of putting myself on the list. A couple op people have already ordered a set

Lionel Richie
i met them at the ring yesterday, really nice guy, he's still doing testing and datalogging at the moment