ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turn off abs but only temporarily

Hi guys and girls,

I have fitted winter tyres to my car and they are great but I was wondering if I could turn the abs off but only on really snowy days. I have drove cars without abs before and they are fine.

Is there a fuse I can take out to stop it coming on?

Thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I "think" i read if you take the fuse out, it put the brake bias at 50/50 and as there normally 90/10 thats not a good idea.

S4 Avant
As said, brake bias f***s up if you take the fuse out. Theres a lovely video some where of some body on track who did. Back end got very twitchy.

I understand your frustration with ABS in the snow though. ABS is the last thing you want in these conditions, nearly slid into the kurb earlier because of it.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
That's a terrible design fault, what if you blow a fuse during a heavy braking event. I am not arguing that this is all true, but that is very stupid. I thought the brake bias was a mechanical system that ran off the rear beam?

If you have winter tires fitted tho I don't think removing the abs will make to much difference, you should have pretty good grip know.

Hmm does seem a little badly designed. Ahh well i'l have to be super careful on the brakes. I nearly slid down a ditch as my driveway was a little steep

E46 M3
I keep reading on here about the brake bias changing when the ABS isnt working, I did a trackday at Oulton with no ABS (ABS ring issue) and it was absolutly fine, no locking of rears.

The fronts got bloody hot as usual and the rears were barely warm.

GB 182 FF
with other cars if you take an abs sensor plug off you send it into error mode and turns off (bar things like speedo etc if you dont take the sensor out that does that job).

172 Race Car
There is a video somewhere, where burp removed it, i think its fooks with the brake bias or something, so the back overtakes the front.

Not 100%, but i read its not a good idea.
Im trying to find that video you speeek of. Got it somewhere, its good for a laugh

Lionel Richie
I keep reading on here about the brake bias changing when the ABS isnt working, I did a trackday at Oulton with no ABS (ABS ring issue) and it was absolutly fine, no locking of rears.

The fronts got bloody hot as usual and the rears were barely warm.

were you driving fast enough?? :rasp:

Is there anyway I can trick my abs into being off then? I had the abs ring problem and before I changed them it was worse at low speed.

GB 182 FF
as said, try unplugging a wheel speed sensor... it will light the ABS light on the dash but with luck you will keep vehicle speed but drop ABS off. If it dosent work simply plug back in and jobs a goodun

DO NOT REMOVE THE FUSE YOU WILL DIE

Yes I got that from the last 20 posts. The abs was really annoying me again yesterday.

Also I'm engine braking and generally driving gently but the car doesn't want to come to a halt and it has a hissy fit on hills where as if you pull up the hand brake it stops and stays there.