ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo airbox bung

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sure most know about this. Side of the airbox there's a small rubber bung that you can remove. Below it are several small perforations in the airbox. Removing the bung gives the car a nice induction growl.

Now forgive me if I'm being dense, I don't understand induction etc at all. But would doing something similar to a 200/182 airbox have the same effect? And would there be any negatives?

Skoda fabia Vrs
Same effect and i would say and their wouldn't be a negative or Renault wouldn't have done it??

I've had mine out a year and had it dyno'd with it out and was 5bhp above book. Going again next weekend same dyno with 6k more miles on the clock. 5k may/10, 11k now.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Lol. I think Gray's joking boys. be interested to see the rr result with and without the bung on the same day.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just explaining that there pointless, sarcasm or not mate lol

I could maybe ask him to do one run with it in and one with it out?
That would be very useful! I'd be surprised to see any difference, but would be nice to have it confirmed.

Skoda fabia Vrs
That would be very useful! I'd be surprised to see any difference, but would be nice to have it confirmed.

When he does the power runs though he does them straight away so doubt he would let me stick my hand in to put the "bung" back in.

I can only ask and i will update if/or not he lets me, I'm sure a guy called penn with a rs twingo did this at a northhampton motorsport and there was a slight increase when he put the "bung" back in.

Will try and search for his thread later. Edit here is a video of his car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lf7Gfoe-4M

Last edited:
  Skoda fabia Vrs
Right. I found the the thread. Brown bear this should help.

Was Tdf his rolling road day and not northhampton motorsport that was a different day.

Quote.

Yesterday, I drove across to Tour De Force - http://www.tour-de-force.co.uk/ - as there was a rolling day taking place with the meganesport lot. As the Twingo hadn't been on the rollers for a while I thought I'd take it over.

First of all, Matt who runs TDF is possibly the most awesome guy I've ever met. I don't think there is ANYTHING he doesn't know about car tuning and it's one of the reasons I really wanted to take the Twingo down to get some expert opinions.

To cut a very long day short, my Twingo is still very very healthy with figures of 133.8bhp and 122.7 ft-lb of torque at the peaks. Only modifications are k-tec downpipe exhaust and k-tec panel filter and the car was running on sainsbury's 97 super unleaded fuel. Diagnostics confirm all is running well and everyone loved how revvy it was after watching "boring" megane 225's run all day long :p

During my time on the rollers I asked for their expert advise about the bung in the side of the box. Matt wasn't expecting it to make much difference at all but did confirm a completely sealed airbox is of course the best solution. After a couple of runs, we wondered if covering the bung hole would improve power, and it did!

Due to one of the pipes (forget which one) sitting right next to the holes, it does appear to suck in enough hot air to restrict power slightly as when a (very) brave man stood in front of the car and covered it up, the power blipped to over 134 before the end of the run. Couldn't get a full power run with it covered as it's against health and safety to have a man stand with his hand in the engine bay lol :p

The advise was to cover the hole back up with the bung, so I have, and I actually prefer the sound with it in Oh and, I also hit 60mph (on the speedo) in second gear, would love to get a proper 0-60 reading :

http://www.twingooc.com/showthread.php?4112-Rolling-Road-results-from-Tour-De-Force

340i
/sarcasm.

LOL...

I think the only real difference you will get is noise, yes there will be a slight power loss but not noticeable when driving IMO :)