ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

type of remap

astra vxr
this is not for a specific car but.....

After having a few engine mods done lots of people say to have a 'remap/chip' to make the best gains and most power from the engine.

What confuses me is are they all the same, e.g. superchip, unichip, ecu remap, re flash, grpn ecu, rollining road tune........:S .

Surley you cant just have a single modified map for evey combination ofmod as every engine is different and needs a custom 'map' to make the best gains from THAT engine.

The reason i ask is i want cams for a alfa 147 1.6 and there is a pakage from a company that sais cams+remap, will this only takeinto account the cams or any other mods i have done.

sorry for the essay but plz enlighten me

What confuses me is are they all the same, e.g. superchip, unichip, ecu remap, re flash, grpn ecu, rollining road tune........:S .

Surley you cant just have a single modified map for evey combination ofmod as every engine is different and needs a custom 'map' to make the best gains from THAT engine.

The reason i ask is i want cams for a alfa 147 1.6 and there is a pakage from a company that sais cams+remap, will this only takeinto account the cams or any other mods i have done.
Your right every mod ifiaction needs different maps idealy you want them made for your car all engines are differenet Renault own maps are for all there range of engine so both the best and worst built engine will behave fine. Remaps like group N superchip etc are just changes mapds they've usualyl just been writeen for a normal car with a bit more of everything some are written for a car with an indution kit etc. The best mpas are custom made for your car.

But to clarify your meaning
superchip, This is the superchip compnay products tif your go to there factory they will modyify them a bit for your car intake exhaust etc Most of there dealers use a standard one though so no huge gains its just a bit more fuel advance etc

unichip This is a ECU intercepter it can just change the readings your engine sensors get and use them to fake the ECU to inject more fuel etc

ecu remap, re flash, grpn ecu, There all the same realy the group N is often called that as its what the group N race cars use however since there no group N race cars with electric thottle bodies there a bit of a question as to where they have there maps from plus group N cars have to be near standard theyre mpass are only allowed to put a bit more fule in to accoutn for the induction kits and exhaust there allowed to run to ensure the engine running safly. AFter all remove some restriction in the system ie a cat and more airs getting in and the ECU needs asjusting so that it puts mopre fule in to ensure most power and ensure clean running and safe running as all engine need a set amount of fuel air although you can run a abit more fuel to air or a bit less for different effect
rollining road tune Usualy much the same a a remap done on a rolling road and the exhuats emmisins are checked with a wide band lambeda sensor up the exhaust to adjust the fueling to ensire a correct fuel air mixture.

astra vxr
so best bet is a custom reflash/remap, thats where the tuner actually re-writes the ecu/map on the car specificaly for MY engine with MY mods, not a generic map that just ups fuel, air etc.. levels. Is the only way you can do this on a rolling road or dyno?

cheers for the replys.

2005 Nissan Navara
The only way you can do it to optimise performance to the nth degree is on a dyno.

However, the likes of RSTuning are getting great results with tweaked map files which they setup for various modifications. Tho this could be classed as generic, they have more time spent on them amd so yield better results than "off-the-shelf" chips.

astra vxr
so you can have a generic remap for a car but then tweak it on pc/tuning machine/laptop for if that car has a certain set of mods e.g. same base map but slightly different result for cams, cams+intake+zaughst

ace thanks 4 the help