ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Type-R Engine into valver

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Probably one for BenR or some other guru.....would the benefits of fitting the typeR lump be outweighed by massive costs of custom parts or would it not fit at all?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Depends on what type r engine your using.

I doubt the current civic one would go in as its massive compared to the f7.

The previous civic/integra typer engine certainly looks smaller, and a vairant of that engine fits in a mini... (kind of)

The Jinx

DC2 lump would fit with work. Mark R has looked at this I believe.

However I think engines tend to go for near £1500 so they really arent a cheap option. Easy 250bhp though.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 14 August 2005

DC2 lump would fit with work. Mark R has looked at this I believe.

However I think engines tend to go for near £1500 so they really arent a cheap option. Easy 250bhp though.
Looks cheaper when you take into account the price of f7r/cams/map etc.... would it be worth doing over a f4r swap I wonder..? hmm

If youre spending that, could you fit the turbod lump from the new megane? 212(?) out the box and Im sure that someone on here said that youre looking at an easy 270+bhp with little effort.

(I think... lol)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

hmm I dont like turbos and fwd together too much....high revving n/a is better in a fwd hatch imo

The Jinx

DC2 lump is far, far superior to anything Renault produce, especially a turbo unit (probably get flamed but turbos arent a patch on proper NA power in my book).

Martin, could well be worth it yes as the power is easy to achieve. Mark R and Ben R know a fair bit about them I believe.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

id stick with the honda idea, sounds way more interesting.

The B series honda is more tricky because the engine spins in the other direction, so it sits on the other side of the bay. Having to relocate the battery for a starter. Some custom engine mounts (not too hard, honda engine mounts are lovingly simple). But it is far superior to the Renault lumps. If you go for a B series, i would go for either B18 or B20 hybrid (would require block build/modifications to make the single liner setup work with the RPM that could be used to sustain astronomical power figures.

The K20A out of the new type R is a fairly large engine, but fits into an EG civic/elises etc so it should by all means fit. Its a traditional layout, and youd only have to make sure the box diff housing cleared the steering rack. But the engine is absolutely amazing.

In both, custom drive shafts, engine mounts, management will be required.

But would make a totally blistering clio.

what about a Mitsi Evo 3 engine? smallish block and box, wouldnt that fit nicely? Or Martin, seeing how you dont do interior what about a Corvette ZR1 engine in the rear? lol

It all boils down to time and money in the end. But the beauty of using the B18C engine and box as a complete unit, means you also get an extremely strong box with an lsd already fitted.

im pretty sure a chevy smallblock V8 will fit in and all the wiring is even the same. if anyone remembers ice man luke B that used to be on here, he was lookin at gettin it done

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 15 August 2005

Isnt it supidly cheap for a Jackson charger? 3k or something for 300bhp?

Chris
Couple of grand, but i find the JR kits not very efficient at all.

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 15 August 2005

Type - r in a clio.........dont be silly
TT in a clio....now thats silly!!

Why not get a TT engine in a clio or you wanting to be different? get a custom front end built and get anything you want in there!

type civic engine is a very popular conversion into a mini in the motorsport field. they are very fast but the handling is as nibble as you ma think

MERCEDES CLS AMG

The Clio 172 lump develops 170 bhp ish and with few minor mods can be taken up to the same bh as a type-r unit, so why spend £££££ doing a conversion ? In fact every race ive seen at the strip the 172 cup beats the type-r no problem.........waste of time imo

The B series honda is a superior unit. With much much higher parts supply support, choice of components etc etc.

With very little money you can create a power unit that puts the 172 engine to shame.

And if you start with the K20A unit, 220-240bhp is a fart and a whistle away.

And there are all sorts of hybrid varients you can do.

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 16 August 2005

The Clio 172 lump develops 170 bhp ish and with few minor mods can be taken up to the same bh as a type-r unit, so why spend £££££ doing a conversion ? In fact every race ive seen at the strip the 172 cup beats the type-r no problem.........waste of time imo
yes but thats the cars isnt it, power to weight ratios and things like that are different, surely a more powerful stronger engine in a lighter car will make it faster. if you swapped the engines over with the cup and ctr then the cup would still win, less weight = more power to weight.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

I deal with a guy that runs a clio williams touring car that puts out 280bhp - ok its modded but a type-r unit would have to be, to put that sort of power out. I agree that the jap unit will probably be more reliable though - definately !!

MERCEDES CLS AMG

The guy is a privateer on the race circuit and occasionally comes to see us when he needs certain items - next time hes down this way i will get you a number and find out exactly how hes achieved this bhp figure - ive seen pics of the engine and its a masterpiece. Hes spent £9k on it !!!!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Hmm this sounds interesting....mmm vtec revving to silly revs in a totally stripped valver!:devilish: Do you think the new 2.0 vtec would be the better option then Ben?

B20 hybrids can top 300bhp no problem.

280bhp from a F7R is fine, but it isnt the most tractable or efficient engine in the world, the bottom end geometry is crap for high rpm and decent lifespan.

The K20As from the new CTRs are truely awesome......if you got the cash, think along the lines of 350bhp NA no troubles. You can even run them upto 2.6ltrs if you want.