ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tyre inflation - nitrogen?

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Also supposed to keep the tyre fully inflated longer due to the larger molecules.

fat 182
got asked if i wanted to pay extra for the nitro inflation the told me its the latest thing from f1 and it wil make my wheels lighter!

E36 M3. 182
Tyre inflation with nitrogen has been around for years. Certainly in aircraft tyres. I believe the reason for using pure nitrogen (as opposed to air which is 70% nitrogen, 30% oxygen) is that it is inert and will not react to the immense heat generated through the tyre when an aircraft lands. (imagine the forces on the tyre, a Boeing 747 landing at 100 mph or thereabouts). Im not sure that any benefit would come from using pure nitrogen in the tyres on a road car though.

VaVa
Tyre inflation with nitrogen has been around for years. Certainly in aircraft tyres. I believe the reason for using pure nitrogen (as opposed to air which is 70% nitrogen, 30% oxygen) is that it is inert and will not react to the immense heat generated through the tyre when an aircraft lands. (imagine the forces on the tyre, a Boeing 747 landing at 100 mph or thereabouts). Im not sure that any benefit would come from using pure nitrogen in the tyres on a road car though.

Yup. I'm also struggling to believe there'd be any noticeable gain in a road car.

Oh and air is 78% Nitrogen 21% Oxygen and 1% of other gases (CO2, noble gases) iirc

As a side note, I've been using Nitrogen in my PCP air rifle for over two years without noticing any difference or encountering any problems.

Oh and for the OP, Nitrogen is actually less dense than air although not by much.

BMW Z4 3.0i
dosn't expand with temp change is the reason i heard

It won't expand as the tyre is a sealed container of constant volume. However, if you put energy in (heat produced from flexing of tyre sidewalls and friction on road surface) then that energy goes into increasing the pressure in the tyre instead.

Energy is neither created, nor destroyed, only converted from one form to another. Pressure is a form of energy. Tyres filled with Nitrogen will increase their pressure if the tyre cannot expand (which lets assume it doesn't) just as a tyre filled with air or pure oxygen would.

Take a cold pressure reading from an aircraft tyre. Then get the aircraft to take off and land 5 times and you will notice a significant increase in the pressure reading taken after. Rarely will I be so bold as to say what I am about to say, but this is a fact.

E30 318iS x2
Only stops the expansion at very high temperatures, water vapour in the air boils causing the pressure to rise, in a road car you wont get those temperatures unless you set fire to the tyre.

Might as well stick to free compressed atmosphere :)

LY 182
dosn't expand with temp change is the reason i heard

It won't expand as the tyre is a sealed container of constant volume. However, if you put energy in (heat produced from flexing of tyre sidewalls and friction on road surface) then that energy goes into increasing the pressure in the tyre instead.

Energy is neither created, nor destroyed, only converted from one form to another. Pressure is a form of energy. Tyres filled with Nitrogen will increase their pressure if the tyre cannot expand (which lets assume it doesn't) just as a tyre filled with air or pure oxygen would.

Take a cold pressure reading from an aircraft tyre. Then get the aircraft to take off and land 5 times and you will notice a significant increase in the pressure reading taken after. Rarely will I be so bold as to say what I am about to say, but this is a fact.
i've read that 3 times and i still dont get it.

so you are saying, air or nitrogen dont expand as they are enclosed in a sealed tyre.
but heat makes the pressure increase because its converting heat energy to pressure..

so, nitrogen does this less so?

or should i just give up trying to understand now lol :S

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
you cant get a tyre filled with 100% nitrogen, its full of room air before you put a drop in yourself, but it is better for most cases..

some truck/lorry/van drivers say it makes there vehicles handle funny, perhaps its in the mind, but perhaps not..

its more important keep a constant pressure in tyres these days as theres less deflection with these wide 30-40 profiles making them wear out like martha farkers..

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
gains - very very doubtfull. The reason i've always herd are thats the tyres dont deflate as easy, must be the lager molecules.

Good if you can never be arsed checking you tyres

iceberg 172
i work for costco and am also in charge of checking nitrogen the most nitrogen ive managed to get in a tyre is 96% and only because it was a big tyre with a high pressure. its normally around 70-80% mainly because without producing a vacuum within the tyre first you can never get 100% nitrogen. we don't charge. you need to have a very small leak for the molecule size to make a differance. we have loads of people complaining about fluctuating pressures and before you ask the tank has 99.8% nitrogen in it. its just a stepping stone to an actual achievement.

E36 M3. 182
TBH, i dont think its worth spending any money on getting your tyres filled with 100% nitrogen, youll probably notice no difference. However, its up to you. If you find that having nitrogen inflated tyres gains you x seconds per lap round castle combe, then come tell us that its the best thing since sliced bread. Otherwise ill just stick to putting air in my tyres. cheers:cool:

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
you cant get a tyre filled with 100% nitrogen, its full of room air before you put a drop in yourself, but it is better for most cases..

some truck/lorry/van drivers say it makes there vehicles handle funny, perhaps its in the mind, but perhaps not..

its more important keep a constant pressure in tyres these days as theres less deflection with these wide 30-40 profiles making them wear out like martha farkers..

we vac out the tyres on the race car and fill with nitrogen. its more stable through heat changes.