ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre loading rating

elj

clio 182
Just replaced tyres at kwikfit today. Didn't have time to shop around as I discovered the Infinitys the car came with were splitting and the tread was becoming detached from the rest of the tyre! Anyway asked Kwikkfit to fit 205 45 R16 87W and they fitted correct tyre to the front (Michelin PS3) but they put 205 45 R16 83W pirrelli p zero on the back. I pointed this out and sled if okay and they said yes. On the way home the back seemed to be steering itself. Is the load rating critical or should Pirellis feel s**t compared to dangerous Infinitys? Help please- should I insist they change them?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Have they sold you 2 different brands of tyres then? Or did you supply some of them?

elj

clio 182
Have they sold you 2 different brands of tyres then? Or did you supply some of them?
I asked for 4 pirellis but they only had 2 left so they suggested using 2 michelins as well. They are all quality tyres so I wouldn't have expected much difference - I just checked what pressures they hade put in and they were 52 psi FNS, 34psi FOS. 44 psi on both back tyres. Changing to the correct pressures helped a bit but still feels odd under braking and if you lift off in the corners the effect is much worse than with the old tyres. Is it the load rating which causes this as the car is very wobbly at the back.

Stuff that, go back, kick up a fuss, tell them the pressures were all over the ship and it still feels skittish, demand 4 matching tyres. I would not be buying 2 different new sets.

elj

clio 182
Stuff that, go back, kick up a fuss, tell them the pressures were all over the ship and it still feels skittish, demand 4 matching tyres. I would not be buying 2 different new sets.
Good point about the 2 different makes but does anyone know if the load rating makes a difference ? The wheels were already Kerbed a bit but I think they also damaged them as we'll- and they didn't balance them. If Jeremy beadle had jumped out I would understand but he's dead. Has this happened to anyone else? What are my rights in this case?

If they have damaged them and not balanced them then by god how are they in business? Load rating shouldn't make a difference. However I'm now sure in the legalities of a garage fitting 2 different ratings. I would be back down there kicking off, speak to a manager for sure!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If I was fitting 4 brand new tyres at the cost of 4 quality premium tyres, I'd deffo be wanting all 4 to match. Won't they do all 4 Michelin's for the price of 4 Pzero's? The Michelin's cost more, so in some way you'd benefit - although whether they're worth more than Pzero's is personal preference.

But regardless, you do need to cover some miles to wear the tyres in a bit, I wouldn't expect them to be spot on until you cover a couple of hundred.

172 Cup
All I ever seem to hear about Kwikfit is negativity. Unbalanced wheels, stripped locking wheelnuts etc.

Anyway, I wouldn't accept two different pairs of tyres - go back and tactfully whinge :)

elj

clio 182
All I ever seem to hear about Kwikfit is negativity. Unbalanced wheels, stripped locking wheelnuts etc.

Anyway, I wouldn't accept two different pairs of tyres - go back and tactfully whinge :)
Thanks for all the responses-I shall see what I can get out of them. Never again to Kwikfit, I'll stick to Camskill and get my local to fit them as i've always done. Anyone want to buy a couple of lightly worn P zeroes?

WRX
Try putting them on the front and the Michelins on the back. Don't forget to alter pressures though, just to see if it makes any difference.