ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Speed and Load ratings

Clio 172
In need of two new tyres for the clio. I have a 172 on the standard 172 16" wheels. The car currently has a mismatched pair of "Nankang nevergrips" and "Toyo Proxys" both with a different load and speed rating and low tread depths!... (Can you see why i want to change them now?!)

What is the standard speed and load rating for the car? I have searched high and low on the forum and all iv managed to asses is the car needs 195/45R16 tyres as standard, but no listing of the load and speed rating.

Thanks in advance.
Jack

Clio 172
Top bloke, adalis. more help than Renault uk were just now. They couldn't even find the Clio 172 on the system to look up tyre size using my reg OR manually...
Jack

Many.
Reason is you'll generally find tyres in those sizes already exceed the required speed rating and load rating.

Clio 172
Reason is you'll generally find tyres in those sizes already exceed the required speed rating and load rating.

I just like to be sure! ;) I will be getting all 4 done eventually so they all match, but fronts are the priority for now.

Jack

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Check out camskill.. you might as well get all 4 done at once unless the rears are really decent ones and have loads of tread left on them ? Just remember they're the only thing touching the tarmac...

As above, I think you'd struggle to find tyres in that size that will be a low load / speed rating anyway. Don't even worry about it.

Seriously cheap fat profile ones might be a T-rating but that's still good for 118mph.

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating
http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating

Unless you spend most of your life on deserted autobahn, it's really not an issue.

One thing to note when buying - look at 'any' speed ratings - I found going one rating higher actually meant cheaper tyres due to popularity.

For the load ratings - anything 77 and above is 400kg a corner. Clios weigh about 1200kg, people weigh 50-100kg .. even very cheap tyres with a rating of 77 will be good for your car and 3 15 stone people...

As I said - don't even worry about it.

Clio 172
the rears have loads of tread left...they are budgets mind you. I would get all 4 done at the same time if I wasn't planning on having the Cam belt, Aux and Dephaser all done next month, I cant bring my self to spend £1000 in one month on a car that cost me just over that 4 weeks ago! I will get the fronts replaced and then let the rears see out another 6 months of use.

Cheers for the help guys!
Jack