ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre wear question

Ive had my 172 mk 2 since january this year with 18k miles on. Had a 24k service on it start of this month and no probs. Only thing is the tyre wear. The renault technician said I had about 2mm left on one of the rear tyres, roughly 2k miles. Thing is, I checked the front tyres and theyre still looking brand new.

I take it this is normal? but seeing that the front wheels do most of the turning and have the power pulling the car along, why is it that the back tyres wear so quickly? and are they supposed to wear that fast in 9 months (6k miles) from new?

Thanks.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Have the fronts not been replaced by the previous owner? The rears are probably the originals.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

if your certain the tyres/wheels havent been swopped around. and you are sure you only 6k out of a set of rears on a 172

check : pressures

:rear dampers

: wheel bearing (doubt it)

has the car been severely lowered?

failing this lot take it to have the REAR AXLE geometry checked - lazalign will do this . the only real reason for this rear axle to be out is accident damage

but i think you are mistaken as regards the ammount of wear

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

tyre wear basics

even wear all over the tyre tread i.e 2mm on every tread all accross the tyre= perfect

shouldered tyres i.e worn on one edge =tracking

worn in the middle =over inflated

worn on both edges evenly = under inflated

worn so the tyre treads appear very sharp = tracking out to excess or geometry out (the latter only usually caused by excessive lowering, accident damage, knackered dampers or tie rod (track rod) ends worn

its worth adding that fronts on cars with p/s always get the edges slightly ripped up (power steering kills tyres)

Lionel Richie

ive seen a few with bent rear stub axles, and a few with BOTH rear bearings knackered

the above causes the rear wheels to camber in by upto 1deg (1.5 in extreme cases)

also knackered rear bearings can cause excessive toe in (never seen them toe out from this, but possile)