ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre wearing out of shape

The near side rear on my 172 cup is wearing unevenly. It's starting to look like a 50p piece! It's the second one that's done it. Been on for 20k+ miles. Is it normal for the cups? The tyre guy reckonned it could be a suspension fault but was most likely just that the back of the car is so light. Anyone had similar?

clio 1.2 dynamique
i had that problem when someone knocked into the side of me. bent my stub axle and shaped the tyre funny after around 8000 miles.

I've just noticed the same wear pattern on the NSR of our 10 reg Clio dCi86 Dynamiqe. We have had the car from new, it has never been kerbed, and the original Continental tyre has done 49,000 miles in that location. All the other tyres are wearing normally. I believe the wear pattern is also known as being scalloped, or cupped. I'd be interested in hearing what anyone else had to do to sort theirs out.

Thanks

Andy

Yes this one has mostly been living on the M5, hence the long life. The motorway seems to be where the Mk3 is more at home: away from the highway it isn't half the fun that the Mk2 Ph3 is. If the tyre wasn't going odd, I might have been looking towards 70,000 or more, as the OSR is promising to deliver (as it still has a good 4mm of tread).

I'll replace the "50p piece" and ask them to see if anything obvious is wrong. Even if it was just due to the tyre being out of balance, it will have given the bushes and shocks a hard time, so there may be more than just a tyre to purchase. The Mk2 seemed "heavy" on wheel bearings, but never showed it through tyre wear, that I noticed.

If I find a root cause, I'll post it here.

Thanks

Last edited:
  2001 172,VW Touran
I had this problem to lol. I replaced rear discs only to find the spacer was missing off the back of the disc and the bearing was shagged.