ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Width And Alloy Width

ok here goes, currently on my car i got 185/55/15s, however i need two new tyres, am i able to get 195/55/15s or do i have to stick with the 185? just cause u can sometimes get em cheaper cant you depending on size etc.....

any help greatly appreciated thank you

Matt

Standard 16vs have 185.. but most people change them to 195/50/15 because they are cheaper.

My 16v alloys have 195/50/15 rubber on them!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

it would be either 185/55/15 or 195/50/15. I would recommend the 195s for handling, comfort will be slightly reduced, but barely noticeable, also the tyres are widely available and cheap!

H22A7 Accord Type R

MATT..............get 195 50s, as they are better value........BUT, as i have found out only yesterday!!!!!! make sure ALL FOUR tyres are the same size, i.e. 4 x 195/50!!!! Cause it throws your EBD off and your brakes loose power and dont work aswell!!! i have just got 4 of 195 /50s on mine from yesterday, and my brakes are mint again!!! Different sizes confuse the EBD, so ur brakes think they are locking up when they aint, hence a lot of pedal judder!!! TRUST ME!!!! 4 195/50s or 2 18555s!!!!!!

The Jinx

This size completely knackers your rolling radious though. 205/50/15s would give you only 1mm difference in rr, and thats what Im changing to when I next need tyres.

H22A7 Accord Type R

they would probably hang off a lot...........the only thing wi the different rollin radiuis, means ya going slightly slower that the speedo says

H22A7 Accord Type R

when they fitted my tyres they measured just over 6.5" on their measuring calipers i believe

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Its weird .. i hear a lot of people saying that they get understeer a lot on there clio.. which is true for the most part.. but if you actually push the car a bit you can get oversteer most of the time just by working the throttle.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

If you put the 195/50/15s on, the speedo reading will be 1.5% too fast.

If you put 205/50/15s on, the speedo reading will be 0.3% too slow (which is pretty much spot on).

Although imho I reckon the handling will be better with the 195s, and far less chance of rubbing. How much are 205/50/15s, Ive never noticed them before? And surely you need a 7.5" width wheel for them to fit?

H22A7 Accord Type R

too fast??????? as in ur speedo is too fast compared to the speed u r doing??? the 195 50s r smaller so id say that is right?

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

yeah, they have quite a few on mytyres.net around the 40/50 quid mark. Not bad at all.

r3obc, with the 195s on the car will actually be going slower than the speedo says, so if youre doing 100mph true speed, the speedo will show 101.5mph, not really much to worry about I suppose, which is what I think you were saying.

H22A7 Accord Type R

yeah Jas, that was what i meant :) as for the 205 or 195........down to you i guess, but am i right in thinking that the 205s would flex more on the rim? possible give a less direct feel to the steering?

i heard u can only go up to the next size on ur rims, for example if you wanted 205s ur rims would have to be 195s. so if you have 185 rims u can only go up to a 195.

back to my thing then, if i am to change my tyres, only 2, cause thats all i gotta do i cant put wider tyres on the back? so 195 on the back and 185 on the front? no?

Matt

H22A7 Accord Type R

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....................stick to the same profile all round mate!!!!!!!! I have been running that miss-matched profile for about a month now, and it MESSES up the braking system!!!!!!! Your brakes loose power as the EBD is being fooled!!!!!!!! TRUST ME............stick with the 185/55s if you are only changing 2 tyres!!!!!!!!! Cheers, Rob (now running 4x 195/50 Toyo Proxies.........and have good brakes again) :)