ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres qu....

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

My 03 Clio today had its 18k service... On the service sheet it says front tyres have 2mm left (fair enough cos its done quite a few miles) but says rear have only 3mm left... Now Im sure rear ones arent meant to wear this quickly? :confused:

Anyone else experienced this?? Could there be a problem with my car???

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

My 172 went through 2 sets of front tyres in 16000 miles, but the rears still looked new! So I dunno, doesnt sound right though!

No mate, its gotta be wrong.

Measure them yourself, they may have taken one reading from the edge or something, whereas they should really do an average of 2 or 3 points across the tyre.

Ph1

Take it your a girl, try releasing the handbrake before setting off ;)

sure youve got a Clio and not a little 4wd jap car....... check out the badge on the back to be sure!!!!

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

:eek: cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek LOL

another thing... It was whacked up the rear at 3 weeks old... Got repaired by Ren bodyshop (well Hylton Renault sent it to the Hylton Fiat / Alfa bodyshop) - could there be any probs from this....?

Quote: Originally posted by Andyman on 16 February 2004

Take it your a girl, try releasing the handbrake before setting off ;)

sure youve got a Clio and not a little 4wd jap car....... check out the badge on the back to be sure!!!!
ouch!

Ph1

Sorry Louise I was just pulling your leg. :oops:

Try checking to see if the tyre is worn even across the tread top to start with........defo something wrong though.......Im on the orig tyres at the rear 34k nearly due for the second set up front so theres a comparison for you.

any smoke out the back and a smell of burning ......Just jokeing ;)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

The only thing I can think of is if the tyres were badly inflated (over or under) then it would wear the tread down quicker than normal.

I wouldnt say it is a huge problem the tyres they come with are a soft compound mine only lasted 22k but then that incs runing a set of 18s for a few thousand miles so 18k sounds about same. I went to Hi-q and upgraded to a set of 195/50 instead of 185/55 Goodyear Eagle Ventura, much better than standard set for £160 inc vat and fitting for a set of 4! Bargin!

Have you had the car from new - could the previous owner have swapped the original fronts to the rear??

If their was any uneven wear caused by the damage the car sustained in the past it would show up as flat spots on the tyre and youd almost certainly get a lot of vibration. It wouldnt cause even excessive tyre wear!!!

Heh, maybe some crazy mechanic changed his fronts for your rears when you had it repaired.. heh.

111s

...Or maybe its just renault trying to bullsh!t you into buying tyres off them at ridiculous prices. EvilJohn and CUP8OYs explanations sound more likely. Just get them changed and see how the next set wear.