ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tyres recommended for cup

alright guys. Im new on here ive not had my cup long but im findin the tyres a bit sub standard. could be the time of year or the fact im not used to it yet. My vts always feels pinned on its michelins and i expected the cup to feel more so.

so...what boots are best?

I have always thought Goodyear F1s are about the best seem to suit many FWD cars and give plenty of grip. Pirelli P-Zeros are also quite good but wear down quite quickly.

The one to avoid is Bridgestone Potenza RE040, awful wet weather tyre is quite good in the dry though.

I am sure other members will come up with some good suggestions as well:)

Ok....so does that mean everyones not too happy with the contis then? Thought they where "specially developed" for the cup? wont need a new set for a while anyway but seems eagle f1s are the tasty option so far. Love tyres me.

I found the Contis fantastic in the wet... Around Mallory Park on the wettest trackday I ever did! I think it depends on driving style. I have just worn out a pair Goodyear F1s, they were very good as well, and a bit less fidgety on bumpy B roads. I have replaced them with.... Contis!! And it is fine.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I like the contis but Ive only done 4500 miles and the fronts have lost a lot of grip already, although theres still a fair bit of tread on them and its probably got a lot to do with how cold it is at the moment. Still prob have contis on it next time untill I need all four replacing.

dunno if its the same with other tyres but they feel really predictable when the cars sliding a bit, it never really snatches and catches you out. I went into a big sweeper doing about 85 when I should have been doing 60, even had to brake a little while turning in and the car just drifted slightly didnt feel scary at all.

Contis were alright, once half the tread was gone they were dangerous in the wet but ok in the dry. Personally i wouldnt buy them again.

For my second set, seeing as Winter and Rain is setting in, i went for uniroyal rainsports. sh*t hot tyres. never felt braking so sharp in the wet, corners also awesome grip. And i think better than the contis in the dry too. Very Very good tyre. Would recommend to anyone considering a new set around winter time.

If you live anywhere near me, id happily let you come give em a go.

Michelin Pilots are ok..they have a new version which is good but not as good as the Contis or Goodyears. The Pilot Cups are a different matter..theyre amazing, but you need 18 inch wheels!

-Rob

The Contis are holding up very well on my Ragnotti after 6 days on the ring. The increased caster seems to give enough negative camber whilst steering to save the outside edge of the fronts. I am running them at 2.1 Bar warm. They are not sticky by any means but they actually are not too bad.

In the rain they are less than impressive. I drove a 968 CS in the wet yesterday that was on SO3s and it gripped quite well.

172, Tiguan

I thought the Contis were a laugh in the wet yesterday. Predictable sliding, reasonable grip.

Dunno how long they will last mind...

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Dust on 24 November 2003

Contis were alright, once half the tread was gone they were dangerous in the wet but ok in the dry. Personally i wouldnt buy them again.

For my second set, seeing as Winter and Rain is setting in, i went for uniroyal rainsports. sh*t hot tyres. never felt braking so sharp in the wet, corners also awesome grip. And i think better than the contis in the dry too. Very Very good tyre. Would recommend to anyone considering a new set around winter time.

If you live anywhere near me, id happily let you come give em a go.
dust, are they really that good? and in the dry as well?

What car are they on and where you from?

anyone else had them?

They seem fine to me. Granted Im still running in but I cant get them to break traction by deliberately steering too hard on roundabouts.

Ive got a set of Goodyear on at the mo and too be honest and not to contraversial they are average in the wet and nothing to special in the dry. Dont know if its the awesome power of the cup ;) or its all the sh*t on the road but I find the wheels spinning a lot in first!

Anyone else found this?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I got Falkens and theres pretty good in the dry...But utter Sh*t in the wet!! I didnt know that at the time! But there were only £50 a corner

Aint Jean Ragnotti the French Clio Cup racing driver, and dont the French call the Clio Cup, the Clio Ragnotti?

Is that really you Ragnotti, is it???? :eek:

Jean Ragnotti is the famous Renault works driver. He still competes in the classic events with an Alpine and embarasses far more exotic machinery.

The Cup is called the Jean Ragnotti in France and is very subtle with just a plaque with his signature on the INSIDE of the glovebox door.

Im not Jean. Sure would like to drive like him though!

Ed