ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tyres

can anyone suggest some decent tyres ?

I dont drive my 172 hard, but my first set of Contis only lasted about 16K and by then they had worn well into that little wear bobble.

still got the same ones on the back as when i bought it, but up to 32K now and my second set of fronts have about had it, can anyone suggest a make that will last a bit longer.

cheers

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The trouble is the harder the compound (last longer) the less grip the tyre provide (generally speaking).

It is quite hard to find a long lasting tyre that give excellent grip levels.. but you can immediatly rule out toyo proxies cause they have a really soft compound.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Id be amazed if I got 16k miles out of a set of fronts!!!

As KDF says, the better performing tyres are generally a softer compound so dont last as long, and if youre happy with Contis Id stick to them as you wont get more mileage out of other tyres...

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Trouble Ive got now is that I can go round corners so fast with my Eibachs on, that Im wearing the edges out of my tyres well before the middle 3/4. Even though edges can be less than 1.6mm, still reckon you need to have visible tread. Net is that my F1s have lasted about 7k. At least theyre cheaper on a Mk1s 195 50 R15 than on a Mk2/Cups R16.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Mk1s had Michelins. Hated them ... very hard compound so they went further but didnt grip as well, especially in the wet. F1s are much more fun, and wet grip is definitely improved, tho I did get a bit too cocky in the wet a few months after getting them and almost took my car off the side of a motorway slip road.

Anyhow, Im deffo gonna stick with F1s when get all four tyres (even tho the rears are still well legal) done in the next month (or next day if I cant get thro my first MOT).

Not everybody has loved having F1s on their car (9 months back there was discussion about them making a car feel "boaty" whatever that means), but most importantly they deffo look the dogs :)

Civic Type R-GT (2007)

nice one!

so it should be alrite havin f1s on the front and the original contis on the back (til they wear out) or will i suffer from oversteer especially with the eibach springs aswell?

Civic Type R-GT (2007)

im fed up of the understeer tho, much rather be able to control where the front is pointing cos the rear is easy to correct, but with understeer, if ur pointing it where u want it to go and its not going ur screwed lol!

Will run the rears at a bit of a lower pressure if i get to much oversteer but the thought of oversteer sounds fun to me :eek:)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 25 February 2004
Id put the contis on the front then have the f1s on the back.

Ditto.. ALWAYS put the better tyres on the back.