ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ubuntu

Monaco 172
Ive booted the latest Ubuntu OS off my memory stick and Ive been running it for a day and I am pretty impressed. Compared to how windows used to run on my laptop (as well as it being slower as reading from a memory stick)
What I would like to know is anyone who uses it how they find it in the long run getting used to it and program compatibility etc

If all seems well i'm going to do a full install so would like to know :) Thanks in advance

Clio Cup,Leon 1.8T,Eunos
Chuck on Linux Mint... Picked up a new Win7 Laptop on Friday, dual booted it as soon as I checked that it was all working...

I've only used Linux since, connected it to a wired connection to pick up the wireless driver & then set about getting it all working & automatically pulling updates etc.

Easiest Linux install yet

Polo + Micra
my mum has ubuntu on her pc lol

she don't really do much on it just the basics but last time i checked it had an uptime of 45 days and still runs fine

i also run it as a network storage pc which just worked and took about 10 mins to setup the samba shares and has been running for a while now:approve:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ive booted the latest Ubuntu OS off my memory stick and Ive been running it for a day and I am pretty impressed. Compared to how windows used to run on my laptop (as well as it being slower as reading from a memory stick)
What I would like to know is anyone who uses it how they find it in the long run getting used to it and program compatibility etc

If all seems well i'm going to do a full install so would like to know :) Thanks in advance

By latest I hope you mean the not long released 10.04 :approve:

I am upgrading my system to it as we speak so I will let you know my thoughts on it.. they changed it to apple mac style window buttons (on the left instead of right) so that might take some getting used to.

Boot times are getting crazy... my laptop would boot Windows XP in about a minute, the same laptop boots ubuntu 9.10 in under 7 seconds and never crashes.

10.04 they have increased the efficiency of bootup even further, give it a go if you haven't already although check for any known bugs beforehand as it's just been released, I know of a few potential show stoppers depending on hardware.

A few days, some bloke at Scottish power decided to cut the mains going to my company, the UPS's kicked in and saved the servers but I had to go in to get it all back up and running properly.

After 15 minutes all Linux systems were fully booted and running sweet, 2 hours and 45 minutes after that I had the Windows systems running acceptably !! says it all really ! ;)

Have fun and if you get stuck on anything give me a shout !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
my mum has ubuntu on her pc lol

she don't really do much on it just the basics but last time i checked it had an uptime of 45 days and still runs fine

i also run it as a network storage pc which just worked and took about 10 mins to setup the samba shares and has been running for a while now:approve:

pfft.. had a server box at my old work that ran for over 2 years before some hardware on it failed.. ran as sweet as it did on day 1.

Monaco 172
Yeah I mean the 10.04, I did the full install and i don't regret it. The only downside is the iTunes issue. Going to create a small partition for vista and iTunes then there will be nothing I can't do.

DMS

A thirsty 172
One of our customers has a VERY old IBM 390 server which is doing two jobs - RADIUS server and Root CA.
It's running an ancient version of BSD (CLI only). Last time we looked, the total system uptime was over 9 years and in that time its network adapter had transferred just under 79 terabytes of data through it. Once more it has never crashed or run slowly and as far as we know has never developed a software issue of any kind. Quite awesome really.

MG Midget/182
Ive run Ubuntu for years as my media server at home, check out MythTV.

Excellent PVR features, like recording by fav actor, automated advert skipping, manual editing of recorded stuff, and with a decent size hard drive you can build up quite a collection, ive got about 300GB or 7 days of solid viewing saved up.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Yeah I mean the 10.04, I did the full install and i don't regret it. The only downside is the iTunes issue. Going to create a small partition for vista and iTunes then there will be nothing I can't do.

GTKpod.

Unless you actually buy songs from Itunes.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ive run Ubuntu for years as my media server at home, check out MythTV.

Excellent PVR features, like recording by fav actor, automated advert skipping, manual editing of recorded stuff, and with a decent size hard drive you can build up quite a collection, ive got about 300GB or 7 days of solid viewing saved up.

I have a Mythtv backend in my loft that can record 8 stations at the same time.. and with over 5TB of RAID5 storage it have plenty of recording time ;)

This is pumped over gigabit ethernet, Wireless-N and homeplug adapters to 4 frontends around the house.

I heart MythTV :D

Just downloading 10.04 now after reading about boot times. lol. In 9.10 my desktop takes less than 20 seconds from a cold on to surfing CS.

Will let you know if its any quicker.

Tbh the macs I've used wont do that!

All done! Booting slightly quicker. Had to get rid of the 'orrible new theme. Do they think we're all Emo kids?

Screenshot.gif

Not a 320d
I really liked Ubuntu....

But then i realised i couldnt play games on it.....or i had to use open office. It just wasnt trusty old windows.

IT was however trouble free and very fast.

After 15 minutes all Linux systems were fully booted and running sweet, 2 hours and 45 minutes after that I had the Windows systems running acceptably !! says it all really ! ;)
Says you need to hire someone to sort your Windows builds...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
LOL, they are built correctly.. it's just windows being pissy doing random things that nobody asked them to.

The linux boxes 'just work' in that if you get the set up the way you want them and running sweet.. they will continue to run like that until a hardware failure.

Am liking Windows 7 a lot though.

Just recently installed 12.04 through VMware Fusion on my MBP, and I really like it.

I can't yet see me using it as my primary OS (that accolade goes to Lion) but it's really cool, and looks great. It has an inviting warmth and simplicity to it. It makes you want to use it and enjoy it.

I shall definitely be experimenting some more.

DCi
I think I might get a SSD and try ubuntu again

i dont really use my laptop for much (have a win7 desktop for gaming as my main machine)

the time has come...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I run a linux VM (Backtrack) on my Macbook Pro, not sure I'd want to junk Mac OS for it entirely but it does what it needs to nicely :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Wow, blast from the past..

I'm still using Ubuntu Linux as my primary OS.. got it hooked into all kinds of stuff now.. I used a Siri hack and coded some custom stuff so now my MythTV is fully controllable via Siri.. I can just say "Play big bang theory season 1 episode 6" for example and my media centre starts playing it :D

My new house is just about built.. some serious home automation going in.. already got it pre-wired with 48 runs of Cat5/6 cable ! Speaker cable etc. lol All of it will be controllable via Siri (as well as other means). Might put a thread up about it once I make progress.

Anyone else using Ubuntu as their primary OS ?

DCi
is there a reason the ubuntu download page says 32 bit is recommended? im 64bit on the computer this is intended for so surely that is best or am i going to make things infinitely more complicated for myself somehow?

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Running this off a usb 3.0 stick seriously impressed.....it just...works

Although I do like my windows 7 a lot might dual boot this

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
is there a reason the ubuntu download page says 32 bit is recommended? im 64bit on the computer this is intended for so surely that is best or am i going to make things infinitely more complicated for myself somehow?

As said, get 64bit... I think they just 'recommend' it to people in case they download the 64bit version for a 32bit processor and find it doesn't work.

DCi
Yea I went for 64bit, easy peasy.

seems to me that the fan is running a lot more often for some reason though

Damn. I think I'll delete my installation and download the 64-bit version. I kind of assumed that they thought the 64-bit was unstable.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Yea I went for 64bit, easy peasy.

seems to me that the fan is running a lot more often for some reason though

Shouldn't really behave differently.. should be BIOS controlled although I think it is possible to override this.

Damn. I think I'll delete my installation and download the 64-bit version. I kind of assumed that they thought the 64-bit was unstable.

Nah, been running 64bit for years.. it's as stable as... well... a box running linux ;)

Anyone having issues running 12.10 on a retina MBP under Vmware 5?

It was constantly crashing on startup. Google revealed that it's a known problem, and that disabling hardware accelerated graphics fixes it. It does, but now I'm experiencing really sluggish performance. I'm running it at effective 1920x1200, which I imagine is running at some über resolution and being scaled for Retina? Looks great but it's too sluggish.

To clarify somewhat. It's only Ubuntu that is suffering a performance loss. I have Mountain Lion, Windows 7, and Ubuntu running simultaneously, and the physical computer's performance is amazing. But swipe into Ubuntu and it's a relative slideshow. I'm guessing it has to be due to disabling hardware graphics acceleration in order to get it to run. Sucks :(

Polo + Micra
To clarify somewhat. It's only Ubuntu that is suffering a performance loss. I have Mountain Lion, Windows 7, and Ubuntu running simultaneously, and the physical computer's performance is amazing. But swipe into Ubuntu and it's a relative slideshow. I'm guessing it has to be due to disabling hardware graphics acceleration in order to get it to run. Sucks :(

i'm having problems with the graphics drivers on my nas box running ubuntu

will only boot to a useable screen if i run open source drivers which are not that good :dapprove:

Polo + Micra
yeah it's an nVidia card as they are more compatable with ubuntu.

i've only tried to do it through the hardware drivers in ubuntu

i'll try the drivers from the nVidia site so if they work