ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uh, are backing plates meant to break!?!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Just been out giving the car a bit of a polish and, whilst working on one of the doors, the backing plate has just ripped apart (the point where the screw plate is glued to the hard yellow foam that has the velcro on it...). Luckily it happened over a few seconds, so I could see/hear it coming away and got it off the car sharpish.

Um, anything I could have done wrong to cause this or should I be going back to the retailer? Was using the Kestral DAS6 on a speed of 5, pad nicely rotating, etc...

EDIT: This one http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/sonus-das-foam-pads/5-dual-action-flexplate/prod_60.html

:S

Last edited:
  ibiza cupra
lol its called over usage mate haha.

just noticed you are a mod, when did that happen? (sorry to go off topic.)

It's A Reno
No matter how hard you polish it, it will still be green, and a Boring. :rasp:

BMW E46 330i Touring
Thanks for that... luckily the paint is far better and harder than Renault. ;)

Happened yesterday, only the second time I've used the DA (and said backing plate). It's why I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, maybe letting it bog down too often?

It's A Reno
2nd time, sounds like you got a dud one.

For that price I'd try my luck at a swapsy.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Well I've emailed the chap/s at CYC, asking if they've had any other instances of it happening and what they think.

I need some other bits, so am more than happy to order the other stuff I need from them if they can exchange the plate for a new one...

Ads mate, mine is starting to get seriously worn. I guess it is just wear and tear so will just replace it for a shiny new one over the coming weeks. My spot backing plate is still pristine which is interesting!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Fancy a couple days in the SW Jamie? Got a nice little challenge for those forearms of your's... :)

Haha, if you pay petroleum fella ;)

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm feeling . . . German? Five door? Not a Golf, or a Passat, but maybe something in between? ;)

Having just said that, I was looking to come down to Brizzle at some point to see Peter Macey Mace.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, spot on! In a nice dark green colour full of light scratches that my DA doesn't touch! If you fancy a day of polishing one weekend then give me a shout mate, I can supply tea, coffee and plenty of bacon! Well, my old dear can as my place doesn't have enough space to clean cars...

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, I wasn't at FCS... but I have no doubt that you would like to meet my face, i'm rather handsome!

I have absolutely no idea, but they didn't know that ;) Someone said "hi I'm Ads off of CS". I was like "ah right, thanks for the help mate, how's the detailing going?" and he answered without hesitation lol!!