ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

uh oh... think there is defo sumit up with my driveshaft

Italian 3.2 V6
wen i accel hard in 1st mainly and in 2nd occasionally there is like a weird cracking type of noise coming from the front left wheel, wen i get to 3-4k and above... any1 know what this is etc...? how much is replacing the driveshaft?

Iceberg 172
Driveshaft replacement cost me £210 all in; £100 driveshaft, 1.8hrs labour + VAT

Didn't have those symptoms though, I had a loud clicking/grating on hard cornering.

Italian 3.2 V6
ok not as expensive as i thought :S but ok... if it was to f**k up then would it cause any problems? i.e like when a cambelt snaps it causes all sorts of other f**k ups...

M

mini-valver

CV joint isn't inter-changable on the 172 shafts IIRC. New D/S is the best fix.

If it was to go, you'd have a flailing D/S twatting into stuff in the engine bay, if it snagged on the floor and ripped it out of the box, you could end up needing a new diff.

depends how it breaks as to how much damage it could cause - main concern might be loss of the steering if the CV joint breaks up and seizes

typical outer CV joint below. you've got a spider locked onto the splined end of the driveshaft which holds a number of ball bearings which are located by a cage which is, in turn, housed by the outer casing of the joint. the purpose of a CV joint is to allow for steering/suspension movement whilst it's being driven by the engine/box

it's rare (although i've been unlucky enough) but, if the cage breaks up, you end up with a load of uncontained metal and the joint can jam, meaning you've no control over the steering

CV%20joint.jpg