ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ultimate Build Thread!!?

Aston Martin Vantage
So hopefully everyone will find this of some interest!

Aston Martin AMR-One Chassis 001 rebuild.

aston_race_front34_final.jpg

Background info:

Going to be lazy here and point you in the direction of a website which explains all about the car/project :http://www.amr-teams.co.uk/2011/03/aston-martin-racing-amr-one-for-le-mans.html

What happened?

Well the short story...Aston Martin Racing/Prodrive, as they will admit, took on too big of a project in a far too tight of timeframe and with far less money than Audi & Peugeot spent at the time. Therefore the car was underdeveloped and the 009 car lasted I think one lap and the 007 car lasted 6 laps of LeMans 2011 due to engine failure....A huge disaster!

Anyway the project was cancelled after LeMans and chassis 001 (they only created 4 in the end. Two went to form the Nissan Deltawing and the last remaining one went to Pescarolo to create their DOME/Pescarolo car for this years LeMans) was stripped back to a tub with wiring loom and some other parts left in it.

How we are involved:

Aston Martin Racing put the car and all the bits remaining from the project up for sale this summer in a private sale. We found a buyer for them, who will remain private, however he is a large UK based car collector with a VERY nice collection, and he wants the car back to running condition so thats where this thread comes in...I thought I would share the rebuild with you as its not often modern LMP1 cars can be seen in such detail.

Car collection:

We went down to AMR to collect the tub, two gearboxes and about 30 boxes of components. Apparently this is only about a third of the bits so far as many of the larger components are in storage such as bodywork etc.

8221082327_1533800bf0_c.png

8221081101_91bdc30152_c.png

8222156622_cff1e11211_c.png

Unload and build:

So we unloaded the collected parts and components and set the tub up on its build stands on one of our engineering floors.

8222153080_d38fa313c8_c.png

8221077185_e534f5f103_c.png

8222154742_c3220779c6_c.png

Over the past week we have been assessing the parts we currently have and whats missing to complete the car and bolting together as much as we can. As you can imagine from a works LMP1 project everything is made & designed to an extremely high quality and bolted together with the finest fasteners.

View from the drivers seat:

8221075393_f649bfc841_c.png

The Steering Wheel!

8221078907_c3935b7c9e_c.png

Last couple of days I have bolted the front wishbones on and sorted out, ready to be bolted on, the front upright assemblies with the carbon 'cake tin' brake ducts etc. Few pictures of that...

8220930407_363da43fa8_c.png

8220933007_7bcc3c489b_c.png

I then fitted the rear upright assemblies, complete cake tin assemblies, carbon brake discs, monobloc Brembo calipers with carbon pads and then finally the wheels just to see how wide the rear end is going to be. All of those components bolt directly to the gearbox as the gearbox is a stress baring component to save weight.

I will get more detailed pictures of the components, but got a bit excited putting the bits together that I only took pictures of the end result....

8222005752_7cb9fb3d8f_c.png

8222003472_7be3c8d277_b.png

Had to check the car would fit through a doorway before we got too far down the line!

8220926653_f03b8bd69a_c.png

I then bolted the front dampers on..

8220923985_c9cc3ae6d5_c.png

8220922797_7588d00db1_c.png

Theres still a third damper to be fitted to the front which helps 'dampen' front dive under braking. There is also a third damper on the rear suspension to help 'dampen' the rear squatting down under acceleration. This is to keep the car as level as possible to help aero stability.

Thats all I have for now, will update more as and when I fit more bits....

P.S Sorry for the camera phone pictures!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Amazing! Looking forward to the updates!

(Can I ask, what is an 'engineering floor'? Besides somewhere to drop bolts down the gaps?? lol)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Im sorry.. Carbon Brake Discs

Amazing build, cant wait for updates, first thread iv subscribed too :eek:

Aston Martin Vantage
The 'Engineering Floor' is a Steel floor that is pretty much a flat floor. Good to build cars like this on as you can attach digital measurement arms (Such as a Faro Arm) to the floor to get accurate measurements of components if required.

Aston Martin Vantage
Im sorry.. Carbon Brake Discs

Amazing build, cant wait for updates, first thread iv subscribed too :eek:

They are literally amazing! Have Titanium brake bells too, so picking them up feels like....I dunno....maybe about 1Kg. Will have to weigh them tomorrow to find out!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Amazing! Looking forward to the updates!

(Can I ask, what is an 'engineering floor'? Besides somewhere to drop bolts down the gaps?? lol)

A floor that they do engineering on.

I have one, It's just concrete.

The 'Engineering Floor' is a Steel floor that is pretty much a flat floor. Good to build cars like this on as you can attach digital measurement arms (Such as a Faro Arm) to the floor to get accurate measurements of components if required.

Ye i don't have an engineering floor.

FLOL!! I love this forum, never fails to make me smile!

Turbos.
No... you mean LMP1...right? ;)

Just caught up with your News page, some big races under your belt there! And what a great set up you guys have. What will you be doing next season?

Aston Martin Vantage
Wanting to do British GT's in a GT3 Aston, BIG Money though :cry::banghead:. Need to rob a bank I think haha. What about you? When you getting me in your Lotus for these longer races that you've had that has-been :)clown:) Wilcox in for?

Aston Martin Vantage
Todays Update:

Finished fitting the front wishbones,uprights, cake tins, discs, pads and calipers.

Got some more detailed pictures of inside the cake tins where you can see the uprights which are machined from solid Aluminium..

8223694181_22b9669fee_c.png

The array of circular holes on the front of the hub is for locating the wheel into the hub as the car uses a central wheel nut (stating the obvious a bit there!)

Then next to be fitted is the front half of the cake tin. Its secured with 6 x M5 x 12mm dome headed bolts around the outside and 4 x M5 K-nuts in the centre...

8224767106_016d1e47f9_c.png

8223693191_cf83d49526_c.png

Next goes on the Carbon brake disc with titanium bell :cool:! These are retained to the brake bell by a couple of modified fasteners which we are waiting on, but they can be fitted afterwards so not a problem at the moment.

8224762768_c047f0bbe8_c.png

8224765576_584ed86b90_c.png

Next goes the outer doughnut which is a carbon 'doughnut' as you would expect by the name. However I fitted the calipers first and then forgot to take pictures of the doughtnut ring on, so imagine those on for now!

The brake calipers are Brembo LMP1 Monobloc calipers, made from a solid block of aluminium. As they are a Monobloc they are really rigid, however to change the pads you have to have the caliper off....swings and roundabouts I guess!

8224761936_36c6bc71ae_c.png

8224760948_bded2e8656_b.png

The calipers have been rebuilt so they scratches they have on them are from when they were used at LeMans or in testing prior to the race. Think they call it providence! Haha

8224760108_62613ca3dd_b.png

Then once they were finished on both side i sat the front wheels on to again see how wide this beast is and made sure everything cleared okay...

8223683347_d25a535b1c_c.png

8224757384_91cbb55ed6_b.png

Then I looked at fitting the steering rack. Its an electrical unit with its own 'ECU', looking at the box, its made in Japan. Firstly here's a view down inside the tub looking at the pedal box...

8223678933_9f3f9ecff6_c.png

And then with the steering rack in place...

8223676191_a591a92f52_c.png

The electrical connectors are ready to be connected and tie wrapped into place.

Here is the view from the outside with the rack on, its only got a couple of bolts holding it in place at the moment, as waiting for a couple of load spreading plates to go underneath the nuts on the inside of the tub.

8224752368_f6792418e6_c.png

And thats all I got for you today! :D

Aston Martin Vantage
You know what engines going in it? Dust that twin turbo v8 off that's laying about ;)

Rebuilt original one, with the Aluminium water pulley that lasted 18 hours in a pre LeMans test. They fitted a steel one thinking it would last longer but instead the steel version meant a more drastic failure happened after very little running. That's why it lasted only 1 lap in the 009 car and 6 laps in this 007 car. The twin turbo V8 would be mint in it tho, would take a lot of work to fit tho :-(

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Who do you get your fastners from? My fiancé is a senior buyer for the company who originally supply Aston :)