ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ultimate epic Clio track spec?

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I will be more than likely getting a Clio as my next track car, already got offers of sponsorships coming in to supply some parts but I want to make up a list of 'must haves' to make an epic track car.

So CS, what is the 'must have' list for a track car?

Also which 172/182 model to pick?

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
look in projects and big ash has a epic track car build thread 140 pages worth of build

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
For a base car I would start with a Cup spec 172.

As for what parts thats a very open question. Take dampers, everyone here will say AST but if monies allow then you could look at Proflex or Ohlins.

Why not just buy a cup racer?

Lotus Elise
For a base car I would start with a Cup spec 172.

As for what parts thats a very open question. Take dampers, everyone here will say AST but if monies allow then you could look at Proflex or Ohlins.

Why not just buy a cup racer?

Proflex dampers are sublime!

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
How much can cup racers be bought for? Car would probably need to be road legal though

How much are proflex dampers?

Lotus Elise
How much can cup racers be bought for? Car would probably need to be road legal though

How much are proflex dampers?

Profelx I can get you discount but they will still cost more than most of the MK2 clios on here!

Cup racers upwards of 10k

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
Cup racer is out the window at those prices, plus I like the building. Bare in mind, I will be able to get a lot of parts at trade price, plus all tax can be claimed back ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
depends if you want a track car to eventually compete in or just a track car for fun. competeing wise im not sure as its not something ive looked into, track wise though id go for something along the lines of...

ph1 172 or 172 cup
all the usual weight saving mods
air con delete if required
fresh bottom arms/ball joints, track rods/ends
uprated engine mounts
coilovers of your choice and solid top mounts
fresh brake fluid with braided lines, disc and pad combo of your choice.
15" wheels
slicks or a track orintated road tyre if required for road use too

do a few days in that, see what you think you need next

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Might be worth giving an idea of your budget, as TBH I could easily get past 50K spec'ing an ultimate trackday clio but not much point if your budget is only 10K

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Budget would be around 5-10k including the car purchase

Thats a pretty wide range TBH mate.

5K = buy decent base car for 2.5K or so (tidy cup for example as you wont want aircon etc)
Decent engine service with cambelt change 500
All new balljoints and rods and rod ends and wishhones and wheel bearings 500
Coilovers and uprated top mounts 1000
Decent brake pads and disks 200
Tyres 300

Thats the whole budget gone, and you've not really started modifying much yet, my mrs daily driver would still beat it, so not really what I would call "ultimate epic" spec TBH!

If you had 10K instead, same thing but add:
Cams (500)
Bodies + management (2000)
Mapping (500)
Engine internals upgrade with supertech valves, ARP bolts (500)
Quaiffe diff (1000)
Bucket seats and harnesses (500)

Still pretty modest spec though TBH mate.

Bottom line is you would be a LOT better off buying a car already done, that 10K car I just specced there would only sell for 5K realistically, if that.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I won't be buying a car already done. Built right, you won't loose much money come resale (if your bothered about that). But a major part of the purpose of the car will be the advertising/media side for my friends company, so the build pictures create more traffic, etc. Plus I will never buy a highly modd'ed vehicle unless I know the owner very well, too many people cutting corners out there

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I won't be buying a car already done. Built right, you won't loose much money come resale

The ONLY time that is true with clios is if you build it from secondhand parts and you break it at the end to sell not sell whole.

Clio 172 Cup
Built right, you won't loose much money come resale (if your bothered about that).

LOL - i built up a 172 cup to "track" spec, cut no corners and lost a small fortune. Majority of the work was carried out at Clark Motorsport in Aberdeenshire to a very high standard. I could have bought a Clio cup car for the amount i lost alone.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Built right, you won't loose much money come resale (if your bothered about that).

LOL - i built up a 172 cup to "track" spec, cut no corners and lost a small fortune. Majority of the work was carried out at Clark Motorsport in Aberdeenshire to a very high standard. I could have bought a Clio cup car for the amount i lost alone.

Indeed you may as well buy ice sculptures as an investment as spend it building a trackday clio.

TBH if the OP thinks he can build a 10K trackday clio and then sell it for 10K at the end, he is likely to be very disappointed, but not as much as his mate fronting the money, LOL

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
Im talking purely about part prices, you will never make back labour costs unless you are building Porsches or GT3 race cars

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im talking purely about part prices, you will never make back labour costs unless you are building Porsches or GT3 race cars

If you spend 10K building a clio as I detailed above, you will get 5K tops when you sell it if you sell it whole.

Buy the parts secondhand, break the car to sell the parts, that way you will lose almost nothing.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
Anyway as I said earlier, the project is not about making money. Its about building a decent spec track toy.

So far I getting the jist of

AST's with solid top mounts
Quaife diff
Cams and mapping, should see near on 200bhp?
What bolt in cages are available? Seen the OMP
Poly bushes - just change the lot?

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
So the list I'm compiling now stands at;

AST Coilovers with solid top mounts
Pure Motorsport rose jointed wishbones
Rear ARB - Whiteline?
Wheels, probably Team Dynamics Pro Race 3's
Tyres, R888s
Cage, I like the look of the Safety Devices mulitpoint bolt in, except the A bars (dash dodger)
Cams, matched inlets and mapping
Full exhaust inc decat - possibly custom
Lightweight bucket seats
5 point harnesses
Undecided on brakes, but must fit under 15s
Then the usual stripping, removing airbags, stereo loom, etc

Is this a decent spec without going OTT with costs? Any areas/parts I should include?

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You've forgotten all the basic service items like track rods and rod ends etc, will never handle with play in any of that.
But other than that it sounds reasonable.
Standard brakes with uprated pads is all you need with so little power.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
You've forgotten all the basic service items like track rods and rod ends etc, will never handle with play in any of that.
But other than that it sounds reasonable.
Standard brakes with uprated pads is all you need with so little power.
Those bits will all get done anyway :), Im talking more in terms of upgrades