ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ultimate epic Clio track spec?

182cup & 172 racecar
I think you need to be a little more careful with the title.

Ultimate and Epic, together?

It's been said before, and it ended up far from either of these.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
i would class our 182 as just mildly specced for trackdays, which would already blow your 5k budget out of the water.
we could easily run away with things but you have to draw a line somewhere (ive learnt the hard way by blowing 50k in a track toy project)

ours purely runs:
AST's,
Pure Motorsport Top mounts and Brace,
Pure motorsport front lower arms (Rose Jointed)
Pure Motorsport rear beam (Rose Jointed)
Poly Bushed dogbone,
New standard engine mounts, steering arms, steering rack bushes etc.
Wilwood 4 pots,
Whiteline ARB,
Stripped with a pair of decent bucket seats and harnesses,
2118's with R888 Tyres.
engine/tuning remains factory.

all i would say is just enjoy it, dont push it to far, keep it usable and fun and make sure wear and tear items are maintained religously.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
If it was me, I'd enjoy the car how it is & replace things as & when they need to be done.

But that's just me.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
Maybe the title is a little misleading, I just know there is the 'must have' lists for every car to improve it from standard.

Love threads like this , if i wanted to build a car to get a business advertised i don't think it would be a clio , and have to say to make back any advertising budget that was spent in free parts it would need to be out there on tracks alot .

All sounds pipe dream to me .... Epic spec is when you build the sort of Mk1 or Mk2 golf that Maurice and Trevor reeves built ....... the sort of thinks that ru rings round well driven porkers ...... but then you also don't have anything like the budget .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj6YBdXQZMs

build that (and learn to drive like Maurice or Trevor and you can then claim epic.

itb182, 621bhp scoob
ive been doing my 182 cup this year progressively while still doing trackdays, my spec is

uprated engine / gearbox / polybush pitch mount
miltek decat exhaust
spax track full coilovers
new ball joints / track rod ends
new steering rack bushes as mine were knackered
whiteline arb
completely stripped car
1 bucket seat / harness ( defo needed as i kept falling out of the standard seat lol)
brembo discs and ds2500 pads but will go for the ds3000 next
cambelt and full fluid change inc gearbox and powersteering as i boiled that on track
full geometry setup to my spec
speedline 2118`s with r888 tyres.
throttle bodies mapped yesterday which made 199.2bhp and 166.7 ft/lb torque

all this has turned my was standard 182 into a very quick handling car and stays with alot more expensive cars on track but forget it if you want to use your car on the road too as mine is horrendous on the road, if i run over an ant it nearlly knocks my teeth out lol but on track its awsome.

R888's good point is wet to dry conditions (apart from standing water obv.), thats why I liked them, pretty versatile in comparison to other cut slicks. No doubt there are equally as capable cut slicks in the dry though for less price. Direzzas for example.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I think the popularity of 888's is due mainly down to availability. Plus you always see them for sale used too

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Also 2 years ago they were a third cheaper than a048 and less than half the price of pilot sport cups so lots of people went for them instead and hence have never tried a048 etc, but now the 888 have got more expensive they make less sense than they used to IMHO

S3, Polo
Just to clarify OP, your mate is willing to give you £10k to blast around tracks in an unexceptional-looking small hatch to drive traffic to his website/ business/ whatever?

Do you mind me asking what kind of business it is? The reason I ask is that it seems like quite a flippant approach to marketing a business or service to a relatively small, niche market.

The other consideration is that *if* you're a crap driver and -for example- start tw*tting other cars off-track, it could actually harm his business and/ or reputation. Big, big gamble, IMO.

All power to you both though, I sincerely wish you all the best.

182cup & 172 racecar
888's were sold at a loss for years, to get people addicted, bit like drugs really.

Anyway, I see a Troll.

S3, Polo
If it was for marketing purposes, I'd suggest leaving it stock & wrapping it in the company livery and bright colours for ~£500.

Drive it well and it'll get waaaay more attention than a car with AST's/ R888/ no interior/ throttle bodies/ whatever.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
The car will be mine, I will be putting most of the money into it. My friend will be putting some money into it and also supplying the parts he sells for a living. So its a fun track car for the 2 of us, which will also be stickered up with his company names/logos on so it gets the company name out to the main group of people who buy the products.

Chip/Tony, if they were sold at a loss or not, its working for them. Up until a few years ago the 888s were used as a control tyres for a load of race series too, so there is loads more knowledge about them. The only experience I have with any other semi slick is the Dunlops, as a passenger, so I can't pass comment on any others.

Also about my driving ability; I'm no God, I won't be a F1 world champ anytime soon, but I can usually keep a fwd hatchback on the black stuff. My old track car went past a fair few Clio RS's despite being less powerful, not having very good damping/spring rates and not having a geo set up

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Should have kept it then if its that much better than a clio surely?

What parts will your friend be giving you free? So we can tell you if they will help much or not.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I stripped my other car due to not being able to afford 2 cars while at uni. When Im in a proper job, this plan will come alive.

The company supplies vital parts, stuff that everyone has suggested

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
Their prices are good, they aim to always have the lowest prices, but will price match if they don't.

Lotus Elise
Just to clarify OP, your mate is willing to give you £10k to blast around tracks in an unexceptional-looking small hatch to drive traffic to his website/ business/ whatever?

Do you mind me asking what kind of business it is? The reason I ask is that it seems like quite a flippant approach to marketing a business or service to a relatively small, niche market.

The other consideration is that *if* you're a crap driver and -for example- start tw*tting other cars off-track, it could actually harm his business and/ or reputation. Big, big gamble, IMO.

All power to you both though, I sincerely wish you all the best.

I think you have wildly missed the point dear boy.

Just seems abit fictional tbh.

Your on here to find out what are the best bits.

You have a friend who runs a company that supplies said bits coincidently

Your now only in uni and won't be doing it for atleast 6 months now

You won't disclose who said company is, yet your on about getting them good advertising by plastering its name on the car.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
Why does it? A friend says he would like to go in on a track car with me, which we can also use to promote his business? There are loads of track/clubman race cars out there with own/friends business names on. All going well he should be getting something slightly exotic which will be branded up too.