ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Undersealing recomendations?

Need to underseal my new aging track toy so have purchased a load of wire brush attachments to go on my drill and angle grinder to remove all the surface rust, and purchased some decent rust convertor.

So what do you recommend as undersealer for the Chassis, sills, sub-frames etc? Reading a few threads on here some recommend Bilt Hamber Dynax-UB (below)? Obviously there's Waxoil but that gets mixed reviews, anything else that doesn't cost the world?

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/dynax-ub

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Bilt Hamber stuff is the dog's b****cks for rust treatment and protection.

I've used their Hydrate80 rust convertor in the past as well as the Detox C rust removal stuff.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Need to underseal my new aging track toy so have purchased a load of wire brush attachments to go on my drill and angle grinder to remove all the surface rust, and purchased some decent rust convertor.

So what do you recommend as undersealer for the Chassis, sills, sub-frames etc? Reading a few threads on here some recommend Bilt Hamber Dynax-UB (below)? Obviously there's Waxoil but that gets mixed reviews, anything else that doesn't cost the world?

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/dynax-ub
Bilt hamber sell it all mate, that's all I've used on the Impreza.

Only need the underseal so is the Dynax-UB the one to go for yeah? I was going to get a 1 litre tin and 750ml aerosol, that should be enough right?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Only need the underseal so is the Dynax-UB the one to go for yeah? I was going to get a 1 litre tin and 750ml aerosol, that should be enough right?
The Dynax UB is a wax, I don't know how well it drys and if it drys 100%. The last thing you want is a tacky underside.

The Dynax UB is a wax, I don't know how well it drys and if it drys 100%. The last thing you want is a tacky underside.
Drys within 24 hours mate. It will be like waxoil were its tacky on application and drys after 24-48 hours.
I have no idea buddy and I could be very wrong. I used the BH cavity wax on my car and it's bloody brilliant, it pi55e5 out of everywhere.

Did you use this on the exterior of the unibody or just in the hollow cavities?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Drys within 24 hours mate. It will be like waxoil were its tacky on application and drys after 24-48 hours.

Did you use this on the exterior of the unibody or just in the hollow cavities?
In the chassis rails, sills and all of the other nooks and crannys. My car is naked underneath, only my wheel arches are stone chiped.

Bilt Hamber stuff is the dog's b****cks for rust treatment and protection.

I've used their Hydrate80 rust convertor in the past as well as the Detox C rust removal stuff.
I need to get me some of this rust convertor stuff in my (leaky) boot and then get handy with some sealant/paint/whatever.

Does it seriously convert all the rust to something else?

Does the rust just flake off, leaving bare metal to work with?

I am scared I'll have no boot floor left when a rust convertor is finished... :fearscream: 😂 lol

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I need to get me some of this rust convertor stuff in my (leaky) boot and then get handy with some sealant/paint/whatever.

Does it seriously convert all the rust to something else?

Does the rust just flake off, leaving bare metal to work with?

I am scared I'll have no boot floor left when a rust convertor is finished... :fearscream: 😂 lol

Need to wire brush any loose rust and then brush the Hydrate80 on.

It neutralises the rust, turning it a black-ish colour. It does work.

The metal then needs painting to protect it.

Thanks, chaps :up:

Given it's the inside of the boot, I might well get it done and then paintbrush it with hammerite lol

Likewise the underneath of the boot floor, seeing as it's out of sight on the road! (Well, unless you've really screwed it up and are now upside down, at which point you have bigger issues to worry about... lol)

I recently ordered some zinc spray and a tub of underseal paste from BH. Proper good stuff, easy to apply and easy to build up the layers to your desired thickness.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Dynax UB dries to a hard wax like finish not as hard as underseal but has rust inhibiting properties and I believe it self seals if damaged. I used it on my rear arches, after 2 to 3 coats it dries black

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I didn't mate, scrapped the car before using it. Still got the stuff in the shed actually, lol.

Worth doing on Mk3 MR2, rear chassis legs can go crusty, and the lower bulkhead/floorpans near the engine.

Clio
Hi,

The factory finishes are thinning in my car's wheel arches, with isolated patches of surface corrosion. My plan would be to remove all the wheel arch plastic trim and coat over the arches to increase longevity. What are people using for those abrasion areas like wheel arches?

Thanks,

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hi,

The factory finishes are thinning in my car's wheel arches, with isolated patches of surface corrosion. My plan would be to remove all the wheel arch plastic trim and coat over the arches to increase longevity. What are people using for those abrasion areas like wheel arches?

Thanks,

Bilt Hamber UB

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
If you are are moving rust and want it sealing again Upol Raptor is what you want to seal it again. It's the dogs bollox. Hard wearing, can tint the clear one to the colour of your car aswell.